Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I made a stupid mistake and need help draining gas

23K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Qwentin355 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 or 2006 400 outlander that I recently filled from the wrong Jerrycan:th_smiliefrustrated(mixed gas) and I had filled the whole tank before realizing my mistake now I need a way to get the gas out can any one help me.

#4 · (Edited)
I keep one if these in the garage, inexpensive and handy;

#6 ·
you could siphon as much out of it as you can, unplug both fuel lines and try to start the bike, it'll suck the rest of it out theoretically..

#8 ·
Thinking back there is a chance that it might have been diesel, I initially dismissed it because I recognized the smell of gasoline but now I am not to sure, this was a week ago so my memory is failing, I know that if it is diesel than I messed up miserably but I still have the issue, any suggestions for that scenario?

#9 ·
drain it like in the video above or use a pump, than top it offto a full tank with the best premium fuel you can get and done.

If it was mixed 2-stroke or diesel, the minor rest after draining topped with premium won't do any damage. Just let here ride for one tank no WOT and done.

Cu,
Sven

#10 ·
In my experience, diesel in a gasser won't hurt anything other than smoke like crazy and not want to idle worth a darn. It may foul out you plugs worst case but if you siphon most of it out and fill with gas you will be fine.

As a note, the engine that I did this in was a push lawn mower and didn't notice that I grabbed the wrong can. The upside was that after I ran that tank, and yes it did run as long as I kept it WOT, it ran great after. I talked to a couple of people about it after the fact and they said that running diesel will actually clean most of the crap out of an engine... except for the plugs.

#12 ·
Well the line is awkward to get at but it is ok, I syphoned it out, filled it with premium, cleaned the spark plug and sprayed it with starter fluid, it didn't start easy but it finally started firing and the diesel in the lines burnt up in less than a minute thank you for the advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.