Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, Im going to start this off by saying I dont even know if this is the right place to post this, I just created this account to get some feedback real quick. Ive held off on getting involved in these forums since I bought my 2011 outlander 650 but im honestly getting fed up with it. So I have an outlander 650 with an hmf pipe, rad relocate, snorkel, 28 outlaw 2s, and a few other bullshit bolt ons. The bike now has 50 hours and 310 or so miles (hardy ridden in 2 years) Ive replaced all axles with rhinos, understandable with the tires I guess, broken a belt, also understandable, brake pads didnt last more than 15 hours, but aftermarket is still going strong, pretty dissapointed. I raced motocross (dirtbikes) for 10 years at the pro am level so I def know my way around when it comes to working on bikes and this is honestly the biggest pain in the ass I have ever worked on especially compared to Hondas and Yamahas and with the price gap I would've expected different. I have had nothing but bad luck dealing with the dealers and trying to contact can am about issues. I have done all scheduled maintenance, I have not been hard on the bike what so ever, its been very well cared for to say the least. So last week I noticed both rear tires were toed in really bad, so I thought maybe the wheel bearings and trailing arm bearings were bad. pressed the old ones out, new ones in, took a little bit of the play away but still have the same problem. After looking at it more I realized both trailing arms are bent and I can promise you that I have not abused this bike what so ever, being a former motocross racer I have no interest in jumping a fourwheeler so for all the know it alls on here, thats not the case. Im one of the last of my group of riding buddies to still have the can am bc everyone else has had similar expieriences with this product and has gone back to Rincons or have gotten side by sides or other quality atvs. I will say that can-ams probably out perform the rest but the quality doesnt seem to be there. What chaps my ass the most is that there are hundreds of threads on here about PROBLEMS people have had and everyone still seems to stand by them. Why? I know im not the only person that is having these same issues bc every issue I have had can be typed in to google and there are pages and pages of people talking about the same thing. So lets hear some opinions. Agree? Disagree? Thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
well the 2011 650 is a G1 bike. They put stronger trailing arms in the G2. So BRP did listen but unfortunately the update doesn't apply to you.

Overall every bike design has flaws and as they correct each issue we push the machines even harder. It was only a few years back that 26" tires were the big ones and now 32.5" and 34" can be put on these machines. You won't run those with a Honda without breaking parts along the way.

I like my Can-am for the look and the engine performance. The rest of it I'll throw some aftermarket parts to address the weak spots as I go along.

Reactions: CaN_Am_RyDeR_1000

·
Registered
425 Posts
sorry to hear you had so many problems
I guess I look at my bike's problems as a challenge for me since I've just started tinkering with its mechanics only 2 years back. ( not experienced as you so its like discovering new stuff everyday )

basically what I'm sayin is - I've had a lot of good and bad experiences but the main point is that.... I had them.

the only sad thing I saw in your post is the riding time...

I do think there might more reliable quads out there - with trade-off to other things but before you go and buy, I m sure you ll do the same google search for their issues - no one is perfect.

good luck bud

Reactions: Canyaoutty

·
Registered
257 Posts
One thing i never understand is the "everyone has these problems on all forums" i mean honestly how often do you go for a ride, bike runs flawlessly regardless of brand, then run home and log onto the forums and say hey things went awesome today nobodies bike broke down!

If you seek the bad points or problems thats all you will see. You say you work on your own bike and maintain it well and i salute you for dong so as many don't but you also say you dont ride it hard and have replaced all your axles and now have a bent rear end. Can am uses parts from all over the world to build the bikes, so its doubtful that all these parts are lemons. Which makes me think that you ride it harder than you realize.

I don't wanna drag thing out. But i have to disagree. At the end of the day your choices are influenced by your experience and the ones you ride with. And no matter how far and wide you look every machine will have problems. Some will be created by the riding style and environment and others by the design itself.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have an 09 650 Max and ride the piss out of it loaded with camping gear and have had no frame, trailing arm issues at all in 13,000 miles and 736 hours of operation.

Trailing arms get bent from jumping and landing on 1 wheel, they can get bent from sliding and hitting something,....they do not get bent from just riding trails.

I'm on my 3rd Can Am because nothing else rides or performs like it, my Max has more room than any other 2 up and longest wheel base for stability.

I will say, that my Can Am is completely stock,...there for I have better reliability than a modded machine. :smilietwocents:

·
Registered
299 Posts
from what i can see, IMO, there are two different classes of buyers since i've been reading these forums. 1) those who care about getting quality for what they pay for (CanAms are not cheap) & 2) those who don't & keep dropping money into CanAms. Hate to hear with issues you having, what are the others?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Deep mud and wheel spinning will take its toll on any machine. If you think you don't beat your machine with broken axles, broken belts and 28" tires, you are wrong.:smilietwocents:

Reactions: MrWillThrowIt80

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Last ride towing two Polaris

Everything breaks down. Last ride two weeks ago there were 5 of us riding. My buddy with 800 can am 07 I think. Polaris 800 06 I think. Brand spanking new Polaris 500 and Brute Force 750. By the end of 9 hours riding only the two Can Ams were running. Brute Force smoked the belt in. 3" puddle. He did make it back belt slipping away. Both Polaris shut off and would not start side by side in the trail. We teased it was the Bermuda Triangle. Can Ams towed the Polaris machines 7 miles and they were flat bedded to the dealer. The 500 had 3 hours before we started the day. I am not bashing other machines because I could be on the hook next time. All machines break under the conditions we put them through.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Yeah I have to call BS also. I've run thousands of miles on my 5 Can Ams and I have never and haven't known any of my buddies to EVER bend a trailing arm. I can't say the same of the frame, but the one I saw had some abuse.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i had a2010 polaris850xp.it was a great trouble free quad, my buddy had the same bike nothing but problems rite from new,i think sometimes u just get a turd.good luck

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought my bike used about 48hrs and under 500 mile on it when I took reins of it. It has 1200 or so miles on it now 28" Zillas tires not outlaw 2s. Still the same belt, changed the oil in every thing when I brought it home. I have owned it for 14 months now I believe. It did have a bent gear shift which I straightend out. I have rode the piss out of this bike since I bought it mud, crawling over down trees and Logging roads meant for skidders this has been a good bike to me. And maybe i just got a good one and not one that was made on a Monday or a Friday LOL. I believe that too because you think about it do you want to be at work on Mondays and do you want Fridays to end quickly so the weekend is here that is how I look at things when I buy them. My automobiles I will findout when it was made before I buy it. I won't buy it like I said above if it was made on those 2 days. Thats just me maybe a little anal but so for so good with the way I purchase big expensive items. I hope you get yours figured out and good luck if you do decide to purchase something else. I did get my Can am real cheap though through a individual so I really don't know what day it was made on. I paid $5,500 for my 2010 800r max xt with low miles and hours. I figure if I get 2 yrs of riding out of it. It paid for it self.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
09 800 xt, stock axles and 29.5's from day one. No problems yet. And have run the piss out of it! It may die this year. If it does I'll rebuild it!

·
Registered
299 Posts
holy smokes sitting bull, were the police at your door? That was a steal on that 2010 max. You know, when it comes down to it, or i should say IMO, when you buy something, you want quality, for it to last. That "made in American", again, IMO, gone down the drain. I'm old school, hand shake & your word, but it's not like that anymore. Even having it in black & white? What can you do? Those lemons or problem child atvs are out there. One would hope the dealer and or manufacturer would stand behind it. As i've said before, Canams are not cheap buying from dealer.

·
Registered
156 Posts
One thing you should remember..Forums are small potato's in the real world.
Have an issue join a forum. Have a good time or flawless product enjoy and keep at it.

No one hears about a problem that never happened. JMO!

·
Registered
822 Posts
One thing i never understand is the "everyone has these problems on all forums" i mean honestly how often do you go for a ride, bike runs flawlessly regardless of brand, then run home and log onto the forums and say hey things went awesome today nobodies bike broke down!

If you seek the bad points or problems thats all you will see. You say you work on your own bike and maintain it well and i salute you for dong so as many don't but you also say you dont ride it hard and have replaced all your axles and now have a bent rear end. Can am uses parts from all over the world to build the bikes, so its doubtful that all these parts are lemons. Which makes me think that you ride it harder than you realize.

I don't wanna drag thing out. But i have to disagree. At the end of the day your choices are influenced by your experience and the ones you ride with. And no matter how far and wide you look every machine will have problems. Some will be created by the riding style and environment and others by the design itself.
Well put!

I will toss my .02 cents in on this one. I have three gades, and never ever had a problem with any of them. I had a fourth but a buddy totaled it. So that does not realy count. Anyway, the boyz and I ride the hell out of them. Not so much as a hiccup. I do maintain my bikes with care. They have proven to be well made, and very dependable. Thank you CanAm!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I own the bike(s) in my sig. I have not had any non-self inflicted mechanical failures. I have been very pleased with my first Can-am and would purchase one again. As pointed out already, i believe that forums often times do show the worst in things. It's more rare for people to post about good things happening than it is about bad, people come to forums for support, DIY ideas, amongst numerous other things, etc. Yea, with technology getting better lots of folks do come and post pics./vids. in which case you see a lot more of the good side of peoples experiences with their machines. Just the tires alone you have on your machine means you are treating it harder than it ought to be treated. You added a snorkel but don't ride it hard? 4 new axles and bent trailing arm and it's Canams fault? You bring up the 10 yrs. of experience dirt biking and then get defensive about how you treat your ATV all in the same post, we don't know you, you could have left that out and made a better argument for yourself and how you have treated your machine. I am not calling you a liar, i have absolutely no clue how your machine was treated but there is so many tell-tale signs and red flags in your email that really don't go along with "i baby my machine only ever and ALL this stuff is wrong and now i hate Can-am" :smilietwocents:

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
I bent a trailing arm on my G1 outty. I did it jumping and landed on one side.. I put the rene trailing arms on and no more problems. I love when people compare a can am to a honda. Simply put. Put the same power through the honda and your going to break things too. The hondas are so detuned they cant break anything. They have no power. Most who buy the can am buy them to ride hard. Now your on the forum use it to do some research. Members will be more than willing to help you. There are alot of postings from people looking to buy their first can am. Doing some research may have changed your mind on which machine you would have purchased. The XXC might be the better choice for you.
You can put stronger rene trailing arms on your G1. You will also need the rene torsion keys. Email [email protected] He sells used parts and you can upgrade cheaper than repairing with new standard parts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You might not be driving your bike like you raced, but you dont do that much damage by driving normally.
Broken belt, in 30 years of riding it has never happened to me. I have wore out belts but never busted one.
Bent A arms, only happens by jumping or power sliding around corners.
My moto, you want to play you gotta pay. You just happen to play harder than most lol.
I have owned over 10 Hondas, one arctic cat, one Kaw 750 brute and I wouldn't put them on the same page as a Can Am of which I have owned a 650max xt, 650xt and my latest which is a 1000xt. Never had issues with any of them.

Hondas built to last, 500 rubicon is a tank, rides like one too. Rincons ride nice, cant pull crap with the transmission they have. Arctic cat, was okay, Brute force, I wouldn't have one on the property again. Terrible air intake design, and they definitely dont stand up. Like previous posts they all have flaws, in this case I still think you drive very aggressively which is no issue except like I said if you want to play you gotta pay.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been riding off-road for forty years, old pro motocrosser, I have had bikes and atvs from basically all the manufactures and have seen many changes through out the years on them all from the dual rear shocks, drum brakes, three wheel atvs to todays toys. They ALL have had their issues and will continue to have their issues. The designs are sound for most of the toys I have had. From your post I agree with other posters that you are riding harder than you think. Trail riding just will not tear up a bike. If it does there are quality tools in place for these manufactures to determine if it is the design or the rider. If it is the rider they usually will change the design in the next build to fix the problem so they are not chasing warranty claims. I really enjoy my Can Am atv, my wife enjoys her Can Am atv and we empty a tank of gas just about every weekend trail riding and mud riding (mud riding does wear out components at a much faster rate), with the issues I experience in the service department with service tech error while servicing the atvs. Go enjoy your Can Am like it was designed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Since like a few posters have said in this thread, nobody post about the rides they don't have issues on... So here it is....

Just spent three days at Carolina Adventure World....this place is fantastic...It has every kind of riding style except desert available.

I was there with my 2013 Outlander 500 XT (with Renegade brakes and Dalton spring kit), 2008 DS-250(Clutch kit), and a 2008 DS 90 (stock). A friend came along with his 2006 Polaris Sportsman 800HO with 27" Big Horns (Dalton clutch spring kit). It rained hard the first two days, so even on the trails there was plenty of mud and deep ruts....When the kids where riding with us obviously we were going slow averaging around 10-15 mph. Both smaller bike climbed hills great and where able to make it through the beginner trails. With the rain they weren't so much beginner trails anymore. We did have to go around some of the deeper ruts, the DS 90 has such a narrow track that it was able to startle a single rut and it made it through some pretty hairy stuff....So when people say these small Can-Ams are guttless I have to say what are you expecting!!! They climbed anything I wanted them to, as long as you didn't bottom them out!! And this was with heavy red clay mud!!!

Now while the kids were not with us my friend and I ran the crap out of our machines. The only issues I had the "key not recognized" issue popped up twice when it was really wet. Both times I let the machine shut down completely and it resolved itself....Other than that absolutely no issues with the 4 bikes and like I said we ran the crap out of them for three days straight in some of the toughest condition you can throw at a machine. The only broken stuff was my trailer hitch. I had to snatch on my friends Polaris about 10 times when it got hung up on a hidden stump and I pulled the mounting boss from the rear diff. This was completely my fault and could be construed as abuse. But it got the job done and we didn't even notice it until the next day. That was on the first day, diff was still in the frame correctly so we just kept riding. I just didn't use the hitch to pull on anything after that....

So just to say it again.... Three days beating the crap out of all the machines and they all come home running great!!! These things are awesome....Enjoy your ATVs no matter what brand you bring to the party...Mac

1 - 20 of 72 Posts