Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend I took my 07 Outlander 800 out after dark and noticed when I let off throttle after going full throttle the quads lights cut out as well as all my dash instruments. It only lasts a half second or so then seems to return to normal. And then it started to miss and cut out when trying to go heavy on the throttle. Braaaa-aaa-aa-a-ppp, then Id have to let off to zero throttle then try to accelerate again.
I shut it off and tried again the next day and it would fire up fine and rev perfectly. After a couple mins it would then refuse to rev up and start to stutter again.
After this I got the craziest issue thus far, it would go to a quarter throttle on its own and stay stuck there, like it was on cruise. I had to shut the machine off to keep it from taking off on me. I had no response from the throttle, more thumb pressure and no more revs, just constant angry auto rev. It shut off twice on me but fired up again like it was okay.
I did have it in a mud puddle up to the exhaust (snorkeled intake) and it died on me. I fired it up immediately and revved it high and got out of the mud. This happened after the lights and dash issue but before the mystery auto revs.

PLease help Im ready to give up n this quad

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Did you check the oil to make sure you don't have any water in it? Have you check for codes? http://www.can-amforum.com/forums/can-am-brp/31491-list-error-code-description.html

Also, one of the first things I would check after that is the battery terminals and the main ground to make sure they are clean and tight. TPS could cause the auto rev and Crank position sensor could cause the cutting out. Check the connections for both and make sure they are clean and dry. As you are going thru the connections, you might as well hit each one with some dielectric grease... especially if your going to be taking it deep!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks Poseidon Ill try that. I went thru all the connections before I parked it last fall and Di greased them all, and the oil still looks mint, I did an oil change at the time too. Do I have to run it to the dealership to check the codes? It never flashed anything on the dash during the problems, but it has always flashed the engine light while using the winch (not the low voltage, just the red engine light).

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had the same idea...battery connections and pulling the codes. Dont wait for it to scroll. When the engine light comes on (if) then just pull over with the bike still running, pull the codes using the sequence and check out the code list

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill give that a try as well. Just going thru my manual and checking the possibilities. Its frustrating because I never get any msgs while Im riding other than the constant Maintenance Soon msg that's been on there since the dealership "worked" on it last. Ive heard that the best bet for catching the codes (do they scroll super fast?) as they pop up is to video them? Ill GoPro what I can haha.
Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ill give that a try as well. Just going thru my manual and checking the possibilities. Its frustrating because I never get any msgs while Im riding other than the constant Maintenance Soon msg that's been on there since the dealership "worked" on it last. Ive heard that the best bet for catching the codes (do they scroll super fast?) as they pop up is to video them? Ill GoPro what I can haha.
Thanks again guys!
No bud, they dont scroll fast.
If you get a check engine light, in most but not all cases you ll get an error code stored. You can retrieve those by following the sequence of flicking your lights while holding down the pod button (check it out here onthe forum). Then you just cycle between the code(s) manually.
They dont scroll fast and you wont need your gopro. You can focus that puppy filming more interesting things ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts