Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time the starter on my '04 Outlander 400 sometimes will only whirr and not engage the engine. From the research I've done, most stated that it's the bendix that needs replacing. I have a new bendix, but don't know how to replace it. I would appreciate instruction on how to go about this. I know I need to remove the clutch cover and the bendix cover to get at it, but then??? Does it just slip out by pulling it, or is there some other step/tool I need to do to get it out? Thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Freewill, the video you refer to here on the forum is for the twin cylinder, presumably the 800. I've the 400 from 2004. The starter motor and the bendix are two different parts in two different locations. Other videos you refer to on youtube also deal with the bigger engines, in particular the G2. I was not able to find any video specific to the G1 400 on this topic.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
874 Posts
Freewill, the video you refer to here on the forum is for the twin cylinder, presumably the 800. I've the 400 from 2004. The starter motor and the bendix are two different parts in two different locations. Other videos you refer to on youtube also deal with the bigger engines, in particular the G2. I was not able to find any video specific to the G1 400 on this topic.
Crap, was trying. Forgot the 400 was a single. Still the tutorials should help with the same basic principals.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
I replaced the starter on my old 400, but never had any issues with the bendix, so I'm not much help....

But I can copy/paste the service manual link for your rig! :p :cool:

files.brptuning.ru - /Bombardier/Manuals/ATV/

Y'know, I can't think of any reason you'd have to go into the belt box, to replace the bendix...... pretty sure it comes out the passenger side like the starter. It may help, to pull the cover and the little hat that the bendix centers in/rides on, if you find you need to encourage it to get outta there

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks BombardierBomb. I have the cd that you refer to in your post. I understood from videos that the bendix is on the clutch side (driver's left) because people who posted and videos I watches state that the primary clutch may have to be removed. Are you saying that it's actually on the right side (passenger's right) near where the oil filter is located?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,788 Posts
hmmm :unsure::unsure:

no, the bendix is roughly above the primary clutch. I was trying to think of how it would be removed......you know, you might be right...... I know the starter comes out of the right side of the bike, but that bendix might not follow it, it might have to come out of the left.

Yeah, you'd have to pop the primary completely off, to do that. The service manual doesn't detail the procedure?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm :unsure::unsure:

no, the bendix is roughly above the primary clutch. I was trying to think of how it would be removed......you know, you might be right...... I know the starter comes out of the right side of the bike, but that bendix might not follow it, it might have to come out of the left.

Yeah, you'd have to pop the primary completely off, to do that. The service manual doesn't detail the procedure?
No it doesn't. At least not that I've seen. That's why I'm inquiring here, in the event that others have done this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
About to do the same. Take off the left side foot board and side panels and there is the clutch cover. Don't spend any time trying to get it off without taking panels off. Remove the belt, remove the moveable half of the primary ( this bolt is left hand thread) and with a puller remove the inner half. Take of the bendix cover and it will slide right out. Bit confusing as the starter is on the right side of the bike and easy to get off but the bendix is on the left. Be careful removing the first half of the primary, couple of bearings and springs (small) that will fall out never to be seen again. Check on youtube, type in 'one way bearing replacement'. guy has a good video on getting that far.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roym, thanks for the info. I've removed the outer half of the primary clutch before to grease the one way bearing, so I'm aware of the little springs under the bearing. I have never remove the inner half of the clutch, but do have the tool. I just didn't know what to do once the bendix cover is removed. So it just slips right out. Exellent. That's what I needed to know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello all. I wound up taking off both the primary and secondary clutches, as it looked like the inner sheave of the secondary covered the bendix opening a little bit, which I though would get in the way of pulling the bendix out. The back sheave of the primary clutch was a bitch to remove. I used the proper tool, a socket, and a bar to undo the bolt, but no luck. I then tried with an electric impact wrench (which is not advised) and again, no luck. I didn't want to force it too much for fear of breaking the tool inside the shaft. Finally I tried the water trick. I raised the side of the atv a bit, put water in the shaft, and with teflon tape on the threads of the tool, I screwed the tool in. The first time the water leaked out and didn't work so I tried again with more teflon tape and ...pop....out came the sheave. Spent most of the day doing this until the water trick worked. Using grease instead of water was the other suggestion, but I didn't want to do that because it would take a job and a half to clean the bolt opening in the shaft after. Anyway, the job is done, and I learned a little more about it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I wound up taking off both the primary and secondary clutches, as it looked like the inner sheave of the secondary covered the bendix opening a little bit, which I though would get in the way of pulling the bendix out. The back sheave of the primary clutch was a bitch to remove. I used the proper tool, a socket, and a bar to undo the bolt, but no luck. I then tried with an electric impact wrench (which is not advised) and again, no luck. I didn't want to force it too much for fear of breaking the tool inside the shaft. Finally I tried the water trick. I raised the side of the atv a bit, put water in the shaft, and with teflon tape on the threads of the tool, I screwed the tool in. The first time the water leaked out and didn't work so I tried again with more teflon tape and ...pop....out came the sheave. Spent most of the day doing this until the water trick worked. Using grease instead of water was the other suggestion, but I didn't want to do that because it would take a job and a half to clean the bolt opening in the shaft after. Anyway, the job is done, and I learned a little more about it. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have the same stater/ bendix problem on my 2005 Outlander 400. New starter last year was easy. But the bendix is in a harder place definitely. Was is necessary to remove the primary clutch? I has hoping I could just remove the cover for the bendix and slip it out. Did you try that at all? Thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same stater/ bendix problem on my 2005 Outlander 400. New starter last year was easy. But the bendix is in a harder place definitely. Was is necessary to remove the primary clutch? I has hoping I could just remove the cover for the bendix and slip it out. Did you try that at all? Thanks, Steve.
You have to remove the whole primary clutch to replace the bendix. Be aware that under the one way bearing, there are two tiny cups and springs in the shaft. DONT LOSE THEM. Place your fingers behind the one way bearing and around the shaft and sloowwly pull the one way bearing until you feel the caps on your fingers.

It's the first time I've removed my bendix and actually wound up removing both primary and secondary clutches. I don't remember if the secondary is necessary to remove, but do remember that there are teeth on the "flywheel" part that partly cover the bendix. You'll need the proper puller bolt tool to pull the primary clutch. By the way, if your 05 is like my 04, the bolt on the primary clutch is left handed thread so to unbolt it, you actually need to make like you're tightening it. Check your owners manual. The secondary clutch bolt is a normal right hand thread.

If your primary clutch won't come off using the special tool, there are youtube videos on how to remove it using either water or heavy grease poured into the opening of the clutch shaft where the bolt goes in. You apply teflon tape to the threads of the tool, tilt your atv partly on its side, pour the water/grease into the hole, then screw in the tool. You may need to do it a couple of times or so, depending on whether the teflon tape is wound up thick enough or not.

Here are a couple of youtube videos you may find helpful.

When you have done the job, clean the shaft opening well if grease is used, be sure to tighten the bolts according to the proper foot/pounds called for. It's crucial that you do so. I used water and it worked for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts