Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 2020 outlander xmr 850 and every quote i get is over $1000 a year.... but all my buddies tell me they paying like $350 a year..... they don't have outlanders but atv insurance..... and most with sxs only pay like 150 a year....so why so much a year for mine? I don't get it..... thanks

Fyi one has 20 renegade and pays $350 a year......
I pay 128 a year for 2011 outlander that’s full coverage through geico

·
Registered
59 Posts
] all my buddies tell me they paying like $350 a year..and most with sxs only pay like 150 a year...one has 20 renegade and pays $350 a year......
OK as has been said, you are asking us to compare Apples to God Only Knows What. You said One and They are paying "like' $350/Yr and most only pay(s) $150/Yr.

So, ask One for a copy of his coverage's page and then ask most for a copy of his (or hers). And, while you are at it, ask them for the name of the agent that sold them the policy.
If you've received written quotes, the comparisons should be relatively simple.

If not, you might need to call each of the agents who told you they wanted a grand and ask them exactly what coverage(s) they were including.

If your buddies live out in the stix and you're a Big City Fella, or they never had a ticket and your license has been suspended twice for DUI, or you don't pay your bills on time and they have excellent credit ratings, payment history, own their homes outright and have better jobs . . .

This could prove embarrassing!;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2020 outlander xmr 850 and every quote i get is over $1000 a year.... but all my buddies tell me they paying like $350 a year..... they don't have outlanders but atv insurance..... and most with sxs only pay like 150 a year....so why so much a year for mine? I don't get it..... thanks

I have a 2020 outlander max 1000 XTP and pay under 500 a year full coverage. Some of these companies insure them like a motorcycle. It’s crazy. I had one company tell me it was high because there are other licensed drivers in the house lmao. Keep shopping around

·
Registered
59 Posts
Someone in this thread wrote " the (required) liablity(sic) plus "
'
Now I pay zip on my Outlander 330. and $430/Yr to Gieco for a new and a 13 yr old vehicle (min required coverage) no collision etc.Medical Coverage, on the other hand is likly 600/month for the two of us (maybe a bit more) with a myriad of gotchas, co-pays, annual limits the fix it so they don't pay much at all. If I had all my medical insurance payments in CDS and the stock market I'd be living like the Donald and might buy me a new ATV.

Nah, if it ain't broke. . .

So where is insurance REQUIRED on an ATV?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Here in NC Can Am 500. 9 US dollars a month for full coverage 8k.

·
Registered
59 Posts
"Here in NC Can Am 500. 9 US dollars a month for full coverage 8k. "

One man's "FULL COVERAGE" tells us very little.

For instance does this policy cover

Bodily Injury Liability? Per person $$ limits? Per occurrence $$ limits
Property damage Liability? $$ Each occurrence?
Medical Payments $$ Person $$ Occurrence?
Property Damage $$ Occurrence?
Collision $$ Occurrence?

If you've a legit Insurance policy, it should list (spell out) each type of coverage and the amounts, limits and deductibles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought my first can am outlander xmr 1000. I’m going to get a loan for it long story short can’t get a loan until I title it I’m buying out of state they won’t tittle it for me. Since I’m having a loan I must have insurance I called a few places today. Geico where I have everything else I own insured quoted me $265 a year. Progressive $785 a year and State Farm $480 a year. Just what I got quoted today. If you have high auto insurance that could be a reason of higher atv insurance??? I do not have a motorcycle endorsement on my license as that would have also lowered the price as well as a safety course... just some ideas maybe to help get yours lower 🤷🏻‍♀️
This is what I pay through SAFCO for full coverage.
Policy period
Apr 7, 2020 - Apr 7, 2021
Annual premium
$100.00
Vehicles
2012 CANA COMMANDER 800X-- I don't know why it's listed like this but it' actually a Can Am Outlander 800r XT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Policy period
Apr 7, 2020 - Apr 7, 2021
Annual premium
$100.00
Vehicles
2012 CANA COMMANDER 800X-- I don't know why it's listed like this but it' actually a Can Am Outlander 800r XT
I forgot to add that my deductible is $250.00

·
Registered
59 Posts
Again, no way to compare "Full Coverage" because that is a sales term. In an insurance contract "Coverage(s)" are limited as to Deductibles and Amounts broken down into Amounts 'per person' (medical/bodily injury liability') and per occurrence. Property Damages are constrained by Per Occurrence Limitations All these stated in Dollars/Yen/Etc

Saying you bought "FULL COVERAGE" for $100 is like saying "I paid thirty cents for this fruit," without specifying if the fruit you bought was a pea or a pumpkin.

As I've asked, where is insurance coverage REQUIRED on an Off Road ATV etc.?

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,542 Posts
where is insurance coverage REQUIRED on an Off Road ATV
If the bank owns it, i.e; it's financed - they'll require "full coverage/replacement value" insurance on it, just like your auto.

It's not the feds or the land owners or anything like that, it's the bank, protecting their investment.

Reactions: 25TH INFANTRY

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it's financed - bank'll require "full coverage/replacement value"
Well, then, we are not talking LIABILITY insurance so much as Comprehensive Property Damage coverage.

Is that what the OP wanted to do? e.g. satisfy his insurance company? If so, he did not say!

I think it was someone else that indicated the insurance was "required" in their circumstance. Though, as with the OP, they didn't provide any detail - just their "140 characters."

·
Registered
199 Posts
So where is insurance REQUIRED on an ATV?
In Arizona, driving motorized vehicles in a National Forest is tied to the State‘s motor vehicle policy. On all state, county, and those forest roads marked by a horizontally-numbered route marker, the motorized vehicle and its driver must be “street legal” and licensed. On unmarked forest roads or forest roads which are marked by a vertical route number, the driver does not need to be licensed. Problem is, in order to access those few roads, one must drive on a road that requires the machine to be street legal. Kinda catch 22.

I can tell you, most forest roads here require us to be street legal. So it’s easier to simply install the required equipment, ie, horn, license plate....and register the machine. One must then purchase an OHV decal and MUST show proof of Liability insurance at a minimum.

My policy breakdown:
Liability: Bodily 25000 each person/50000 each accident
Property Damage 15000 each accident
Medical payments: 2500 each person
Comprehensive: 125 deductible
Collision: 125 deductible
Accessory coverage: 3000 125 deductible
Uninsured/Underinsured: rejected

·
Registered
59 Posts
In Arizona, driving motorized vehicles in a National Forest is tied to the State‘s motor vehicle policy. On all state, county, and those forest roads marked by a horizontally-numbered route marker, the motorized vehicle and its driver must be “street legal” and licensed.
Wow! I only ride mine on my property. Never thought much about operating on Public Property. Then, of course there are significant Liability issues.

I was in Arizona and New Mexico years ago - enjoyed driving (4dr Buick) in the mountains and the differences in climate the changes in altitude brought (Fall). Drove through Yuma to California, then flew back East. The way (I saw) Native Americans live(d) was disturbing.

·
Registered
2020 850 XT Outlander
10 Posts
Geico is the only one in the ballpark...at 573 a year.... everybody else was about 1000....allstate was almost 2k and my buddy got a 20 renegade 1000 for 350 a year....basically the same bike but bigger motor
Man, I have Geico on my 2020 850 and its only $280 a year with max coverage.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts