Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do i need insurance to ride in AK? Dealer told my wife she does but i think its just because of the finance company she chose. If so I'm just going to pay off her quad with my card so i can drop the insurance, its pricy!

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
in new york you have to carry insurance and be registered if you are riding everywhere but your own property. i have full coverage on are 3 with progressive it cost $ 247.00 a year for all 3.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine are all paid for but all are also insured. Too much chance of theft or damage not to. The Outy runs $150 per year and all the others are half that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone, so far it looks like ak doesnt require coverage but the financing cmpany my wife chose does so hers will obviously get full coverage. And since i had a motorcycle stolen last year i think i might as well get mine insurred as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Theft has gotten to be a huge problem all over! Ins. is pricey but to replace our toys is much more so. 2 other areas of concern are fire & towing/hauling damage. Have seen both recently.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Liability and physical damage on my 08 650XT is $140/yr with Allied/Nationwide. Most home or farm policies don't cover liability once you leave your property.

Defense coverage is the biggest thing a liability policy provides. If you have the misfortune to run into someone(bodily injury) or something(property damage) the insurance company investigates and defends you until it is determined if you are liable/at-fault. I won't ride without it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HAHAHA I open up a link titled ATV saftey and I find at the top of the list: INSURANCE! lmgdfao! I know I'm on the right site. Na...., no need for saftey! F*CK IT! I've got insurance!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Waking up an old thread...don't know what part of AK your in, but I have been on two recovery's for insurance companies...one time was two grizs that got tumbled down the Delta river, couldn't get them first time as rivers were just starting to freeze...second time we had a big blow come in, and if you know the Delta, that is not a place to be in a AK blizzard....they had to take a Nodwell an sled out after that...don't know what the total bill was, but I pay 225 a year with geico here in the Delta area...not bad considering what it takes to get one out of some places here.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Im not sure what bank your with, but if you've financed your quad they will require proof of coverage. They will also follow up every six months when the policy renews...at least mine does. Your bank may choose not to notify that you require insurance but they should before you sign the paperwork.

Most credit unions/banks will give you a grace period to show proof of coverage and then they will charge your for their insurance. Trust me when I tell you thats not a road you want to go down. You'll pay double to triple amount premiums with their private insurance vs getting Geico or something similar.

If you have the ability to pay it off that would be a great idea if you dont want insurance. But Ak is stupid rough on machines its worth it to have insurance. Also, putting a $10K+ machine on credit card seems like a financially bad idea. The whole point of going through a bank(besides being more forgiving/friendly) is the the interest rates. I hope your credit card has fixed low rate (most of them dont)b/c a lot of credit cards have a usual 19% APR or worse. If its a low rate then great but make sure it fixed or they can raise your rate at any time for any reason and then your boned. If your card has 19% apr and you pay on that for more then two years your damn near spent 40% of the price you paid on the quad in interest....you'd be screwing yourself!!! Its very possible I am missing out on some info on your situation but be careful man. I hope I didnt come off as lecturing as that is not my intention. I know my policy is less $300 for a six month policy...have you shopped around for insurance?

Hope this helps...btw Im in Anchorage
Cheers,
Trav

·
Registered
140 Posts
Since I already had 3 cars on Progressive, that's what I used for my Outlander. My premium is $250 a year for full coverage. They gave me additional discount on my auto insurance for having multiple policies is big plus :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have mine insured by liberty mutual because the chance of theft. Runs me about $250 for Outlander

·
Registered
481 Posts
Man this thread is old lol but I pay 240 a year full coverage with State Farm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts