Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '15 max and find that I like going through some mud. Not to deep, but deep enough to get rad dirty. It sucks trying to clean it. I'm concerned about overheating. I also like the look of the BRP rad relocate. I have a 1 yr warranty, expires Jan'16.

Would you recommend dealer doing install or do it myself? If I did it myself would it void warranty? Also is it difficult to do? I got a few quotes from 3 dealers in area and prices range from $350 to $800

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have the BRP rad kit on my 2014 800 Max; well almost, I have 1 hose left to connect and then I can fill it with rad fluid. I am only marginally mechanically inclined. I like DIY and get self satisfaction when it works out.
The BRP kit is a nice looking kit, and it is a reasonably easy kit for the mechanically inclined. The biggest challenge was getting the old overflow bottle out, the gauge pod has to be removed, unless you have long skinny fingers. The next challenge is the routing of the hoses and where to cut; bigger holes make it easier, but less of a nicer finish. Measure it out 2 or 3 times before you cut; same goes for the hoses.
The gray scale instruction booklet is lacking good pictures and IMO a couple of steps here and there that would speed things up for the DIYr.
If I was to do it again, I am sure I could do it in half the time or less. If a dealer is going to charge more than 4 hours shop time, they are ripping you off, but of course it comes down to what your time is worth vs shop time. I have about 6 hours total with all my breaks and really only need an hour or 2 to finish; I think bleeding the air out will be the bulk of the time to finish. It just got too cold to work in an unheated garage. Warmer temps are coming.
I personally don't think a dealer should be charging more than $400 for the install on top of the actual kit.
I am not a mudder, but I do go through water and mud when I have to. The rads on the G2 get caked easily due to the fan shroud; the face of the rad may look ok, but the back side, nope

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you post A few pics of the install

·
Registered
932 Posts
I will post picks of the install after I get back from vacation. The ATV is surrounded by outdoor furniture and toboggans and stuff. I only took a few pics during and they really don't show much.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow, those pics of your radiator all caked up are concerning. It seems every machine could benefit from a Rad Relocated to the front rack!

·
Registered
932 Posts
I routinely sprayed the rad with water. I found that it was getting harder and harder to get the water to penetrate the fins. I had only entertained the idea of the rad relocate until I saw how bad it was when I removed the rad for cleaning ; the amount of work to remove the rad, clean it , put it back and replace plastics is more time than it takes to buy the kit and install it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts