Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am only asking this out of curiosity, my one outlander overheated very easily, then I had an outlander xmr which had no issues. My rzr highlifter had issues with heat too. I jist bought a 2014 Renegade Xxc, going out for the first real ride on this weekend. I dont want to relocate the rad but I am worried that the renegades overheat as easily as the outlanders do. I won't be going through a lot of mud. Just whatever is on the main trails.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,547 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with renegade v. outty, just saying, if you pack a radiator over with a buncha dirt/dust/mud/debris, it's not going to be able to do its job, and whatever it's connected to, as a result, will run hot.

Reactions: Bonzo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that, I am not new. I think I phrased what I was asking wrong. The outlanders ( my past one and a few friends) seem to have their rads really enclosed. My family have had several polaris machines too that were similar both seemed to have overheating problems, not just on extremely muddy rides either. My brothers old king quad didn't seem to have these issues. The rads look very open on the renegade so I was just asking if people have had bad experiences with overheating or if it doesn't seem to be an issue because if better airflow. Searching the forums, it looks like it's more prevailent with the outlanders.

·
Registered
332 Posts
This is my 2nd Renegade (had a G1 800 prior) both overheated often due to the rad being plugged. I have a Sportsman 570 and it had the same issue so I relocated that rad too. I also have an Outty XMR and zero issues with overheating because the rad's relocated.

Strongly recommend you either pull the radiator and thoroughly clean it (you cannot do so with it in the bike as you need to remove the fan and blow out the debris from the back) or relocate your radiator. The OEM kit is awesome. I installed it on mine and I've had ZERO issues since. Prior to that I was overheating all the time because you can't keep the rad cleaned well enough unless you pull it out and clean it often.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
2,547 Posts
I understand that, I am not new. I think I phrased what I was asking wrong. The outlanders ( my past one and a few friends) seem to have their rads really enclosed. My family have had several polaris machines too that were similar both seemed to have overheating problems, not just on extremely muddy rides either. My brothers old king quad didn't seem to have these issues. The rads look very open on the renegade so I was just asking if people have had bad experiences with overheating or if it doesn't seem to be an issue because if better airflow. Searching the forums, it looks like it's more prevailent with the outlanders.

Ah I gotcha

And see my recollections are almost opposite of yours. I'm more "aware", I guess, of the renegades having the overheating issues, than the outtys, I mean, all things being equal. The renegades sling a lot more, their riders typically are the ones to go ripping off into any hole, the radiators aren't as "protected" as say they outtys, etc, which just inevitably lead to more gunk in the radiator, and overheating issues as a result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing the experiences. I am going to do a few rides and see for myself too, just wanted to hear other experiences. I have been looking at the boyesen water pump, but i haven't really found much information from people if they actually make a big difference. If I have to, I am going to relocate the rad, it just looks so nice without it and I am trying to ride less mud than I use too, was going to try to keep it looking stock lol.

·
Registered
332 Posts
the water pump isn't going to help you enough. The air flow into your rad is critical to cooling and I know from a lot of experience riding Renegades for years now (and buddies that have them too) the rads get plugged too easily and they are a bitch to clean.

IMO I think my machine looks badass, but I get it, you need to like it yourself.

Reactions: BombardierBomb

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have had my 1000X for 4 years with no problem of overheating. I do not ride in the deep mud like I have seen people doing on Facebook but, I don't dodge large puddle and muddy areas. We have ridden the high desert at over 100 degrees with no problems. I did have Monster FI remap my CPU and they lowered the temp the fan turns on so it may stay cooler from the beginning. Judging from my tire consumption I don't use the 1st 1/2 throttle very much either!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did my first ride on the new atv yesterday, pretty typical trails that I normally ride. It was a mix of slow rocky technical sections, mud, water and dusty trails. I went through most mud, went around the bad spots the people on the mud machines went through. Had absolutely no issues. I was very happy with how the renegade rode, probably my favorite atv yet. Only guy to overheat was on an artic cat mud pro. It was also pretty hot and humid out. I am going to keep everything the way it is and change things if I start having problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts