Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally brought my atv in for it's first service (even though i'm completely capable of doing it myself) figured I'd let them do the valves plus I have a couple of warranty issues to be addressed. The service writer told me $259.00 which I was fine with until I looked at the paperwork and they whacked me for $94.00 in parts! Total bill after tax $383.00 the diffs certainly don't hold a qt of oil yet they charge for a full qt. My question is, is this normal? I know when I go get my car washed they don't charge extra for the soap the price quoted is the price paid! I will be requesting any extra fluids since i've paid for them, at least I can use them toward my next service.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Normal? must be , been there done that. Getting ready to do a full blown service on mine myself, and good luck getting the remaining fluids.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I'd say thats pretty normal "Dealership BS". I did mine myself for under $50 in premium oils and filter.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thats why my atvs only see the dealer once... right before i buy it lol.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Exact same shite here in Canada. Almost the exact same, quoted me a price but failed to tell me that did not include overpriced parts, environmental fee for disposing of oil, and those stupid little extra f/u shop fees they tack on. Won't be going back. I refused to pay for an over priced extended warranty that would get denied anyway if there is a claim. Not to mention, the outright lie about the bike being kept inside and that I would have priority because my bike was bought there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
pretty sad they charged you for diff fluid change when the 10 service doesn't even call for it to be changed.....I did mine myself, they are crooks.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This dealer does do the diffs and i'm fine with that I'm just pissed they didn't disclose the total price. Oh well live and learn I guess I fell for a pretty common sales tactic. Last time this machine will see the dealer! I will be picking up hopfully tomorrow and will let you know if I got my extra fluids.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Be careful of the b.e.s.t warranty too, $50 deductible. I had mine in for warranty to replace crank seal, they also replaced exhaust boot and clutch bolt with parts totaling $45 so it wasn't warranty as parts were less than deductible. ..had to pay labour on top+taxes...+ 2 trips of 5 hrs to drop off and pick up. Never again.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
dealer

First lets say I am not cheap I am willing to pay for service.
The delaers are out of control. I pay a guy in town to service my machine and it costs half

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
So I finally brought my atv in for it's first service (even though i'm completely capable of doing it myself) figured I'd let them do the valves plus I have a couple of warranty issues to be addressed. The service writer told me $259.00 which I was fine with until I looked at the paperwork and they whacked me for $94.00 in parts! Total bill after tax $383.00 the diffs certainly don't hold a qt of oil yet they charge for a full qt. My question is, is this normal? I know when I go get my car washed they don't charge extra for the soap the price quoted is the price paid! I will be requesting any extra fluids since i've paid for them, at least I can use them toward my next service.
Ha Ha , you & I have the same initials . EJP .

Anyway , I would do my own service from here on out .
I do & you said you're perfectly capable.
Id bet a weeks pay that if you went over it after having it to the dealer , you'd find things they didn't do or did wrong .

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I MAY think of having them do the First oil change. The person that puts the drain plug in on the engines at the factory over tightens the plug and strips the threads in a lot of cases. If you take the plug out and it is striped they say you did it and not under warranty.

As far as oils most of the dealers are getting it in some form of bulk; 30 or 55 gal barrels. This way they are paying about $1.00 per quart or less. And what auto parts store does not allow you to take your old oil back to them for FREE. They do not care if you bought it there or not. The are selling it to who ever picks it up. So CA charges you for the disposal and then sell it.

Grab the vaseline as you bend over an grab your ankles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the service on these bikes are so easy, and if you purchase oils online or even at a parts store its 1/3 of BRP price. I did my first service in 3.5 hours, I am not a mech. but I am not rich either..lol....it took 1 hr 13 mins to do the valves from start to finish including removing plastics and exhaust heat shield....ratcheting wrench was my friend....lol
diff,s take 500ml. and 300 ml....so about $8-$12 each depends on brand of gear oil you buy.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My stealership charges above BRP list price for everything. Picked up the oils and filters for the first service and it was $160. I thought that was high so when I got home I checked BRP online catalog and found I was over charged by $30 above list. I WILL NOT BE BACK.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've heard a lot of guys say the valves dont need done that early. I did my 10hr service at home for 74 and some change. Also learned how to tear it down plus greased it all and what not. My atv nor my vehicles never see a dealer or a shop. I dont trust anyone out there with my stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Other than the first service this dealer has been great and I have been happy I guess thats why I was so surprised by the shady practice with the first service. I hopfully will get the bike back today and will go over it with a fine tooth comb before I load it up, and it will be the last time it is there for service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts