Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've participated in any sort of forum so I figured I'd get started off here.

Moved back to my home town after 10 years away. Got my degree in Agricultural-Mechanical Engineering and worked in R&D designing air seeders before I had enough of the city life. Rekindled friendships with old friends and made some new friends, which then lead me to pursue my long time itch for trying out mudding. I'll tell you what, it sure is different than the old 300 Honda ATV rally days that I was used to back in the 2000's.

About 3 or 4 years ago I found a decent deal on a really low mile, nicely done up 2011 650 XTP. It came with 29.5" outlaws on stock renegade rims with 1" spacers. It also had a Can Am factory rad relocate along with the stealth snorkel kit. Other accessories included a 12" dual row LED light bar and a Trapper Diamond storage box.

Got it home, went on my first run with 11 mud machines (9 of which were can am) in the rain and had an absolute blast! Did bust a belt on the way out, and learned how not to hit skeg in high range haha. After that I've been hooked. Luckily I can simply hop on the bike, head a mile east of town and get right into the Northern Provincial Forest here in Saskatchewan.

Since then I've added a Dalton Clutch Kit, however it's not quite enough to keep the belt from slipping is thick skeg. Gotta baby it a bit more than I'd like. I've moved the LED light bar down to allow more airflow to the radiator, upgraded to STI HD Alloy HD4 rims, and threw on a Kimpex Nomad atv box to carry all my goodies (Air pressure gauge, air compressor, booster pack, wrenches, hot dog sticks, snacks, drinks, etc) and a spare fuel jerry. Also moved the port for the winch remote control from the depths of the machine to the side of the rad relocate. Now I can actually use the damn thing from time to time.

This year I bought a used HMF slip on exhaust for it and new HMF tuner. I also got a Highlifter lift kit for it to get a little more clearance. Still gotta toss those goodies on. Not sure what the future holds for this bike, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to attempt an 840 kit at some point and aftermarket clutches however I also decided to upgrade this year as well...

I just recently purchased a little higher mileage 2014 1000 XXC Renegade. The plastics are beat all to shit, and it needs some love, but it's a beast! Has a Mudnwheels XMR rear diff, 29.5" skinny-wide Outlaw 2's on ITP SS212 14" wheels with 2" spacers. Has a QSC clutch kit in it, and a Wild boar rad relocate and snorkels. This thing really barks with dual HMF pipes and a Power Commander V tuner. I'm also told it has Mr. Rpm cams. It also has Highlifter front arched lower a-arms, but I noticed the front axles have contacted the support plate on them a bit which doesn't make me too excited for them. Will probably look around for something better.

Definitely excited for this season. I am by no means a noob when it comes to wrenching and am going to tackle pretty much everything I can myself. Right off the hop I have to deal with the body on it and go through it top to bottom.

I look forward to chatting with you guys and sharing my wins and fails as I continue on this adventure.

Thanks,
Evan

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Welcome to the site, you'lll find lots of good informaton here.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,287 Posts
Solid "first" post, Evan (y)

Welcome back to the dark side....... we have cookies :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'll make sure to post as many pictures as I can. Building, riding, etc.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
649 Posts
Welcome to the forums and that's a nice looking machine you got there. Show us the Renegade as well.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
649 Posts
Not the best image but it's what I got haha. It's beat up and needs lots of love. Goes like stink though.
Yeah them Rennies are light and fast! Do you work on your own machines? What are your plans for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's the list for fixes/minor upgrades:
  1. Replace the footwells with FTP race ones (The LH one is toast)
  2. Modify the front bumper attachment for better clearance
  3. Replace the plastics
  4. Fix the rear RH brake. Hose might be gacked.
  5. Replace a lot of plastics
  6. Redo the snorkels. They were poorly done and push hard on the plastics. Nothing lines up nice because of them.
  7. Recover the seat.
As for the long term upgrades:
  1. Cool it down. Got goodies coming to work on a dual radiator setup, look at remote oil filter relocate and oil cooler.
  2. Mod/build a front rad relocate.
  3. STM Clutches, both Primary and Seconday.
  4. Assasinators. Not sure on the size. +30 most likely.
  5. Lift it
  6. Install XMR rear bumper or design my own
  7. Replace exhaust and add O2 sensors to work with the PC5 tuner
And take it out for a Rip at any given stage. Also going to try and get a bunch of powder coating done. Bit by bit. And remove any trace of the Can Am yellow. Never did like that color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts