Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got a 2006 Buck from a family member, ridiculously low miles. Maybe 50 miles or so, webbing still on tires. I have been told this is the same as a Traxtor 500 but I am not up on that history. I know the Buck is very different from the Trail Buck of the same year.

I just got it, hadn't been used in 3 years. Runs decent, will go through the carb when I have time later. The urgent issue is that the speedo/instrument cluster/indicator cluster and taillights are not working. I have found a parts diagram and suspect a relay in the ignition switch circuit. Thought someone might be able to chime-in on this possible solution and also tell me where that relay might be?

Thanks!

·
Banned
243 Posts
I've never even heard of it, could ya post a pic or two ?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK...so I figured it out after posting. There is very little information on the JD ATV's because they didn't make many of them. Tons of time digging through online parts breakdown images.

The instrument cluster and taillights were both out, turns out there is a small "power relay" under the front end that goes on with the key, feeds both of those. Can get the part from JD but it is a standard automotive relay for about 1/4 of the cost.

Maybe this will help someone else now that the post is searchable.

Thanks, guys, for the replies!

Dennis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you happen to have the part number? I have a similar display issue and would like to replace the same part you did.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a standard "fog light" relay from Autozone. Just unplugged the old one and the new one plugged in. Fixed all of my issues. The relay is just under 1" cubed and it has a mounting ear on one side.

Not sure what the exact name for the relay is but someone in auto parts store should know.

If you have any issues finding, post again and I will try to help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Added picture, not sure if it worked.
Hi Folks, 1st post here. As mentioned above there aren't many of these around and info is slim.

I have a regular Buck 500, not the EXT as in the picture but substantially the same. And actually the same year. I really like it and it has done well for me.

But I need to change out the lube in the front and rear differentials. Since this is pretty close to the 500 Bombardier model I suspect the same lube so what is it, specifically?

Thanks in advance,
JRH

·
Registered
4 Posts
1st time to the forum
I own a 2005 John Deere Buck 500, having lifter noise - can you take out the lifters easily or do you have to pull the engine? Where to get parts? I live on Vancouver Island BC Canada
Thanks for any help, hard to find info on these machines

·
Registered
58 Posts
The buck 500 is essentially the same as the BRP Can AM traxter. BRP made the buck for JD. You can still order a service manual from JD on CD and you can get the parts diagrams on JDparts.com. The JD part numbers are the same as BRP except JD add a "c" in front of the number. Some parts are not common, mostly trim and cosmetic stuff. It is my understanding as of a couple of years ago JD no longer warehouses any parts for these machines and via some agreement (?) the parts went back to BRP (?). For parts, your best bet is to check the JD part number and the BRP number, if they are same except for the "c", order from a BRP Can Am dealer. Beware as these machines age there are many parts that are no longer available from BRP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for info now still have to figure out the lifter noise and how to get it out but the manual should help me with this.
Appreciate your help
Joe

·
Registered
2005 Outlander 400 Max
22 Posts
Thanks for info now still have to figure out the lifter noise and how to get it out but the manual should help me with this.
Appreciate your help
Joe
I replied to your other post. I would try adjusting the valve clearance first. But, you will need the shop manual for this so you have the clearance numbers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just had my 2001 traxter 500 motor apart, if it is the same I may be able to answer questions.

the traxter uses hydraulic lifters like most cars or low performance vehicles. It means there is NO valve adjustments to do.
To access them you would pull the head and cylinder and iirc there are retaining rings. I did not remove mine as I had no reason to but do have a traxter manual that should show if the cam needs removal to access them from below or the head and cylinder from above. My guess is from above but that is just a guess, hopeful guess. Removing the head and cylinder is likely easier than removing the camshaft and could likely be done in the chassis.

Are you sure it is the lifter?
mine and another's had a stator bolt fall into the stator and destroy parts. There also is a automatic decompression device on the camshaft not sure if they are prone to sticking which could give you a noise from the exhaust valve being held open.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you have a oil cap on your engine valve cover?

I see JD 500 heads on ebay of 2 different types one uses one is a pushrod motor with lifters the other with a CVT transmission does not appear to use pushrods so you may simply need to adjust the valves if you have one of these. though understand it is not normal to go out of adjustment and increase noise, usually a engine sees its valves tighten with age and they get noisier after you adjust them as you give it clearance again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The instrument cluster and taillights were both out, turns out there is a small "power relay" under the front end that goes on with the key, feeds both of those. Can get the part from JD but it is a standard automotive relay for about 1/4 of the cost.

Maybe this will help someone else now that the post is searchable.

Thanks, guys, for the replies!

Dennis
Where is this relay located exactly? I hope to pick one of these up this week and has the same issue! Bargaining power! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
There also is a automatic decompression device on the camshaft not sure if they are prone to sticking which could give you a noise from the exhaust valve being held open.
This is interesting - I didn't know there was a compression release. I think only once I have been able to start the Buck 500 with the pull start and I had wished it had a comp release. Just tugging the cord in recent years I can't get it through a compression stroke. Grrr. Even applying a pull to ease it through compression so I have the maximum windup doesn't work. I hate to buy a manual just for this issue. Frankly its just easier to jump it and buy a new battery once again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I realize this forum is pretty dead and this is an old post with the original poster not on here anymore. But... My speedo and lights are not working on my 05 JD buck BUT the indicator lights on the speedometer do illuminate. Could this be the same issue the original poster found a solution to or is it most likely more?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts