Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
All the indicator lights are on and no speedo. I have no idea on when any of this happened. I just bought the machine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought the machine.
I'm not even sure where the sending unit is located - never had any reason to look but that would be first, to me. Disconnect, inspect and reconnect, you probably know the drill. It's not too terrible to open the instrument panel to inspect the connections there. I'd bet the speed signal goes though some other circuits on the way to the console. I wish I had the repair manual too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All the indicator lights are on and no speedo. I have no idea on when any of this happened. I just bought the machine.
BTW, congratulations on what may be a really good find and at hopefully a good price. I can't remember what it cost new but it wasn't cheap esp. being green and yellow. I found it to be the best fence maintenance rig and for checking livestock year around. To me it is a performance machine but not for playing/jumping. It's a work-a-haulic. The 500 has lots of power and lots of gears but not a lot of weight. I tried to keep the kids away from it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The head and tail lights don't work. and I guess I should say the all the indicator lights are on all the time when the ignition is on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
all the indicator lights are on all the time when the ignition is on.
This is true. All the indicator lights AND the speedo illumination are on continuously but in the daytime you'd not know. But for the headlights and tails, this is different depending on key position. Do your brake lights work as expected, front and back controls? You need to check the handlebar switches first. They are in the weather and maybe UV damaged. Mine sure are.

Yeh, looking at my Buck out the window. There's a trickle charger to it when the house generator is on and its ready to rock. Chained all around. I really appreciate this machine if the snow isn't too deep.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ot-oh. Thks for the clarification. Normal operation, at least for mine:
  • Turn the key to position one (headlights) or two;
  • All the idiot lights illuminate;
  • For a moment all 5 gear numerals will flash;
  • After part of a second the speedo needle will vibrate like a rattlesnakes tail (audibly too) for a second then stop (we have rattlers here and that creeps me out);
  • There are then three sequential clicks inside the console;
  • All the idiot lights go out except for the active ones like Park, Oil Pressure, etc;
  • The self test is complete and the Start button can be pressed.
So it seems yours is stuck some point through the self test. I checked the Operators manual and there is no detail so a service manual is definitely needed here. My 2004 is almost identical to this so maybe someone out there has a service manual:
CAN-AM/ BRP Bombardier Traxter 500 5 speed Auto-Shift specs - 2004, 2005

The only issue I've ever had is very rarely after an automatic shift there will be an error and no gear lights are lit. I come to a stop, downshifting manually, put in Park and shut it down via the key. I start it back up and the self test completes and all is back to normal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ot-oh. Thks for the clarification. Normal operation, at least for mine:
  • Turn the key to position one (headlights) or two;
  • All the idiot lights illuminate;
  • For a moment all 5 gear numerals will flash;
  • After part of a second the speedo needle will vibrate like a rattlesnakes tail (audibly too) for a second then stop (we have rattlers here and that creeps me out);
  • There are then three sequential clicks inside the console;
  • All the idiot lights go out except for the active ones like Park, Oil Pressure, etc;
  • The self test is complete and the Start button can be pressed.
So it seems yours is stuck some point through the self test. I checked the Operators manual and there is no detail so a service manual is definitely needed here. My 2004 is almost identical to this so maybe someone out there has a service manual:
CAN-AM/ BRP Bombardier Traxter 500 5 speed Auto-Shift specs - 2004, 2005

The only issue I've ever had is very rarely after an automatic shift there will be an error and no gear lights are lit. I come to a stop, downshifting manually, put in Park and shut it down via the key. I start it back up and the self test completes and all is back to normal.
I found a service manual for 1999-2000 Traxters online and I think those models are nearly identical to all the Traxters up to 2005. I'll try to attach the file to this reply and hope it helps those that need one.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ponyroper- thank you very much! There does seem to be a lot of cross over the the JD Buck. A few things I'm curious about:
  • Does the Diagnostic Connector merely short the pins or is there some unseen magic inside of it? I'm not sure I'd want to short the pins to find out.
  • How does one get the transmission in 1st gear with the shifter in neutral and the engine off?!? There is a difference here from the Buck - I think. There isn't much explanation regarding the process.

·
Registered
28 Posts
JR, I am the worlds worst mechanic so sorry I can't answer your question about the Diagnostic Connector. I have a 2001 Traxter 500 and when it is not running I can shift into any gear fairly easily if I remember right. I only purchased it late last fall and haven't run it much yet so I'm a little shaky on running procedures. Mine was very hard to shift when I got it but the previous owner had left it sit unused for a couple of years and when he sold it to me it would only run with the choke pulled part ways. It didn't seem to idle to fast but I soon found out that even a little too fast made a big difference in it shifting. I was expecting to have to clean and rebuild the carb but after running a can of Seafoam through it after about 20 miles it started idling right and the shift problem went away. Purrs like a kitten now and runs like a champ.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Purrs like a kitten now and runs like a champ.
Wonderful that you got yours running better. I am really impressed with the Rotax engine. My gosh there is a lot of stuff going on within those cases and under the covers. My experience is with M/Cs and a manual clutch/shifter. I am still stepping though the shifting of gears and what neutral actually is on the Buck as it has always fascinated me.

But back to Mr. Noticon75's issue with the self check. I believe there is a procedural difference in model years from the manual you forwarded. Yes, a lot of stuff is similar, mechanically and structurally. But I also believe the MCEM or "brain box" is different and so also would be programming/function/testing. I was hoping for a simpler solution as it might be me next - my rig is outside all year 'round and so far the worst effect is the speedometer needle is UV faded. At 17 years old is has been a heck of a rig.

Case in point, yesterday I had to rescue my pickup. Our road is a VERY steep logging trail and it had 8" of soft snow - almost slush. I got the pickup running again and it wheel chattered in its own tire tracks all the way home. I hate that. The Buck? Not a problem but it was chained in the back, the pickup wasn't so not all that fair a comparison....

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Traxter only had 225 miles on the odometer when I bought it last fall and I have put about 50 miles on it since then. The retired farmer I bought it from just used it to pull a tow-behind grass mower at his lake cabin so it is in like new condition. The first thing I did was ruin the brake pads by locking the brake set on the handle bars when I left it running. That little boo-boo cost me $700 because as I said I am not a mechanic and the local Can-Am dealer is a major crook. I need to find an honest local ATV mechanic who I can trust in case I ever need work done on it again. I can change oil, plugs and simple stuff like that but anything more complicated than that and I'm about like the proverbial blonde woman who locked her keys in her convertible with the top down and can't get in. I found several very good videos on You Tube showing how to work on Traxters so I may tackle some repairs myself in the future. Nice to hear your Buck has held up so well for so long. I hope mine does the same.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The darn thing has so much power the brake lock didn't even slow it down. Also I found that you could start the bike in gear and I tried that a couple of times when I couldn't get the it in gear because it was idling too fast. Lets just say that the brakes can't hold that thing and when you start it in gear at a fast idle it will roll you right off the back and go on it's merry way without you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does your Buck have the shift button on the handle bar to toggle back and forth from manual shift to auto shift? The guy I bought mine from said he didn't think it worked so he never used it. I set it to auto the first time I used it and it works great for me. Has a kind of alarming metallic clunk sometimes when it shifts but I think that's just the way it works. Kinda scared me at first but I'm used to it now and hardly notice it. I can see times when you might want to use the manual shift mode but I doubt I'll use it much. All I use my machine for is an emergency transport if I get my 4x4 pickup stuck out in the badlands of western North Dakota when I'm working or when the terrain is too rough for the 4x4. This machine will climb hills like a lonesome angel heading home to heaven and it's so stable I feel much safer than I did on my old Polaris 4x4 (which I rolled several times going across some bad spots). I'll probably put less than 200 miles a year on it so it should last me a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does your Buck have the shift button on the handle bar to toggle back and forth from manual shift to auto shift?
On mine I have a Manual/Auto flip switch on the left handle bar. It works as expected. If the flip switch is in Auto and I force an up or downshift via the gear selector toggle it obeys BUT may go back to the auto parameters if RPM and load say so. If in Manual it will stay in whatever gear selected unless I shift manually or go back to Auto. I mainly use Manual when going down hill for engine braking. All other times the Auto mode is better, for me anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine has the same setup. I have good engine braking in Auto mode so don't use Manual mode. Temps were in the 40's Saturday so I started up the Traxter and gave it a good workout around the neighborhood and in my pasture. It is a bit cold blooded and took a while to warm up so it would idle decent. Ducvet mentioned in a different thread that a different carb jet with a higher fuel volume would help it run better in cold weather but I don't use the bike in the winter so I'm not going to fool with the carb settings. It ran fine after warming up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I do not think my XT has the auto mode option can you guys post a picture of your switch gear with the auto mode selector? Funny a XT would have skipped that I think I may have the worst of both worlds on mine no manual shift and no auto mode just the up down electric shifter...lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ducvet, Here is a link to a YouTube video that clearly shows the type of setup I have on my Traxter. I may have described it wrong but there is a small yellow toggle switch on the left handle bar that can be set to auto shift or electronic manual shift. From what I understand there were three options offered. The dual mode like I have, the electronic manual shift and the foot pedal shift. Hope that clears it up for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes that's what I suspected I have no auto mode, I wonder if it is retrofittable? If the ecu can handle the shifting for me I might be safer off...lol. Mine has just the up and down rocker so it is shifting electronically. Hmmmm I might need to visit the parts diagrams again, it must have another brain or circuitry in its one brain to handle knowing when to shift. Or it is based entirely on the tachometer hittinig a pre-determined shift point.

Some bikes up-sell features that are already there , maybe it just needs a switch gear and plugging in some wires. More things to look at on re-assembly.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts