Can-Am ATV Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Let us know how that works out. Exhaust is tentatively on my short list also.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
I just saw a universal Kimpex on denniskirk dot com, does that do you any good?
Let us know how that works out. Exhaust is tentatively on my short list also.

Thanks for the info.
Today my safety decals came in, nothing like free!

AE5A5E3F-A5F8-4DCD-8D82-C22839460C2C.jpeg

The guy finished doing my tires today, I torqued them to about 3 dit dits lol, no I torqued them to 70 N•M (what the manual says) and put 10 Psi in the front and rears because the recommended 4.5 psi felt way too soft.

95982566-9FD3-4FFE-A28E-A437AF3477D6.jpeg

0319B9A0-1804-4923-B422-B99062E6EAC3.jpeg

It has 12.5” of ground clearance and 11.75” with me on it, that is more than I need.

I would have taken it for a little boot but I put the JB weld to the test on my muffler and it needs 24 hrs to cure before use. It looks like it may work but only temporarily.

6E5EA112-0338-4804-9C23-765FC4ECF9DB.jpeg

I’m going to get my new fuel gauge tomorrow, after that it’s almost in the condition where I want it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Lookin good.

You know, I bet once it dries if you wrap it with some exhaust wrap then squish that high heat jb weld into the wrap around the damaged area it would dry like a plaster cast and be a pretty semi permanent fix.
But Ive never tried it so I cant say for sure.
Regular jb weld has saved me more than once on all kinds of equipment.

Good stuff.

And thats what I love about this, everybodys different but the bikes are all awesome.

The 1st thing some of us do is remove the factory warning stickers lol

Good for you for making it how you want it.

I replaced the factory warning stickers on my last quad ;)

Im thinking about these two and the gps, in range ones for this quad.
To each his own I say.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Lookin good.

You know, I bet once it dries if you wrap it with some exhaust wrap then squish that high heat jb weld into the wrap around the damaged area it would dry like a plaster cast and be a pretty semi permanent fix.
But Ive never tried it so I cant say for sure.
Regular jb weld has saved me more than once on all kinds of equipment.

Good stuff.

And thats what I love about this, everybodys different but the bikes are all awesome.

The 1st thing some of us do is remove the factory warning stickers lol

Good for you for making it how you want it.

I replaced the factory warning stickers on my last quad ;)
View attachment 96234
View attachment 96235
View attachment 96236
View attachment 96237
View attachment 96238

Im thinking about these two and the gps, in range for this quad.
To each his own I say.

View attachment 96239
View attachment 96240
Ha! Those are hilarious! Where did you find those, I know a few people that would love those!

That’s what I thought about, I think I’ll give it a try if the JB weld works. The exhaust wrap will just make sure the weld doesn’t come out and if the JB fails the wrap will back it up. The only problem is that I used all the weld lol, and that stuffs not cheap! $20 for 50ml of the stuff!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yeah the wrap isnt cheap either but I would do it and run it if it were mine and a new one was sooo expensive to get to canada.

I used to have a buddy who made stickers for a living but now I just get em
off of ebay and amazon.
Forgot this one,,,,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
The JB weld worked! What a difference does that make. I’m about to really put it to the test here in a second and will post a video.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Awesome job.

Exhaust leaks are never good.
Hope it holds! Jb weld is good stuff, this is the kind of review I like. Somebody who has really used it in a real world application.

If that stuff ever pops out let me know pls.
I may need it someday on something.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Holy crap! I just pulled the cover for the fifth time today. I fixed the stripped bolt by putting a longer one in as it still had some threads at the end of the hole. Then after figuring out the pattern to put the bolts in (was randomly putting bolts in holes for 1.5 hours straight) it worked until the last bolt... the last bolt stripped and was stuck. I pulled the cover again and pulled the bolt out, grabbed a 1/4” bolt and put the cover back together and tightened the 1/4” bolt into the hole. As far as I’m concerned it’s sealed and fixed.

I will let you know if the JB weld pops out but it looks pretty stuck in there.

Sorry forgot to post a video, will have to do it sometime this weekend.
Awesome job.

Exhaust leaks are never good.
Hope it holds! Jb weld is good stuff, this is the kind of review I like. Somebody who has really used it in a real world application.

If that stuff ever pops out let me know pls.
I may need it someday on something.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Got my exhaust wrap and new CVT rubber intake and exhaust thingys that I noticed were cracked (gotta love amazon)

I wrapped the exhaust while putting some tin foil overtop the JB weld then wrapping overtop of it. I also wrapped around the heat shield as it was rusted through and the exhaust was starting to melt the plastics.
5A21A94A-E08F-42F0-904A-D5161716282D.jpeg

8F0AA2AB-A5CA-402D-9825-87FD8385EA75.jpeg

When I went to buy the rubber thing (don’t know what they’re called, refer to pictures) they wanted $30 Canadian each, I went on amazon and bought some silicone coupler hose that were $15 each. I bought them and they fight right on, they were .75” taller but the original ones looked too short anyways. They’re a little more heavy duty as they are built for turbos and can withstand 75Psi so I doubt they’ll break anytime soon.
41CD04B5-2883-448F-8D55-A720A4C56DD4.jpeg

D6262830-B38C-4D9D-A031-5EC4792AEAF1.jpeg

All the snow has finally melted and I’m ready to hit the trails. I’m trying to organize a ride with a few buddy’s this weekend, hopefully it works good. I went for a 1.5 hour “quick” ride today before I wrapped it and the job weld is still holding.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Great job.
Its the little things that add up and make a difference.
You'll never have to change those couplers again and that wrap made a big difference on mine, couldnt stand those springs rattling around on the heat shield. (y) (y)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
Last Saturday I went on a 75km ride across the old rail bed to one end of the county to the other. It went well for the most part, saw a bit of wildlife and met a few ignorant bikers that Acted as I wasn’t there and wouldn’t get over to the right. I was respectful to them by going by slow and waving but you can’t fix stupid! On the way back me and my grandfather (who still rides) decided too see how fast we could get them going. He has a 2015 arctic cat 400 and we thought it would be an even match. He toped out at 78km/h and I was easily pulling away from him, he blamed it on my bigger tires but I doubt an inch would make that much of a difference. For about the first 30kms of the way back we did 50-80km/h hitting the bumps and jumps getting some air (which he didn’t like) this was also my first major encounter with the can am clunk! It’s not as bad as I thought it would be but I could hear it.

About 40km on the way back it backfired LOUDLY, I lost power for a bit but it kept going. I pulled over and could smell something burning, it was the wrap around the pipe which I removed when I got home. I turned it back on and kept going and didn’t happen again (I also wasn’t flogging it for the rest of the trip). I also checked the oil and it had the same amount as it did when I left, not a centimetre lower. I hear the exhaust springs you are talking about but mine don’t rattle very much so it doesn’t bother me.

Then on Sunday me and my buddy went down into a pit which I am not allowed to specify for legal reasons. We went up and down sketchy gravel and sand hills my owners manual would not agree with. My belt was also pissed as I kept forgetting to put it into low, I’m not keeping my promise about breaking the belt in lol. We then went into some deep water which my buddy didn’t want to go into as his intake was below his seat (old beat Polaris lol). I went above the clutch cover and halfway up the airbox proving that the CVT and airbox is sealed. I took it into some mud and thought I was stuck until I started shaking it and the Visco lock did the rest.

I love this machine and it’s everything I ever wanted.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
lol that's awesome to read. That's a ballsy play, going on a 50mi ride shortly after acquiring the thing, sounds like something I'd do :ROFLMAO:

And I'm sure not trying to sound like a CanAm fanboy, but we read plenty of stories of those little 400's outrunning their 400cc counterparts, assure your GP it's got nothing to do with your tires, lol. The rotax is a stout little powerplant for what it is.

That backfire may have been nothing more than you simply "clearing it out", I'd bet it hasn't seen that kind of sustained rpm and WOT for quite some time, if you're right about the previous owners.

Before going for too many deep-water excursions, familiarize yourself with the location of your belt box outlet snorkel. That's as deep as you can safely go. Water in your belt box will stop your bike in it's tracks lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
lol that's awesome to read. That's a ballsy play, going on a 50mi ride shortly after acquiring the thing, sounds like something I'd do :ROFLMAO:

And I'm sure not trying to sound like a CanAm fanboy, but we read plenty of stories of those little 400's outrunning their 400cc counterparts, assure your GP it's got nothing to do with your tires, lol. The rotax is a stout little powerplant for what it is.

That backfire may have been nothing more than you simply "clearing it out", I'd bet it hasn't seen that kind of sustained rpm and WOT for quite some time, if you're right about the previous owners.

Before going for too many deep-water excursions, familiarize yourself with the location of your belt box outlet snorkel. That's as deep as you can safely go. Water in your belt box will stop your bike in it's tracks lol
That’s funny, I was just reading through your $400 Atv thread and you got a steal on that thing. Evicting a few CVT rodents and spending some time on it and you got a perfectly good atv. plus it looks awesome with everything you’ve done with it, and if it breaks you’re not $5000 deep into the thing.

I remember when I got my defender the first time I got onto a gravel road I pushed it to its top speed of 115km/h with a full load of people, not even broken in yet but don’t tell the dealer that!

Ever since I bought my sled I fell in love with rotax even though it’s a two stroke, rotary injection is way better than reed valves. After I bought the defender for ice fishing and watching it plow through the snow with a full load I had to get a smaller rotax atv for straight trail riding as the defender is just too big for the trails.

Before buying I did some research and that’s exactly what I read, the 400 acted like and made about the same power as a 500. They are a simple yet powerful motor. If you look at a hp chart can ams make more power than other atvs of the same cc no mater the year, just something I found interesting.

I had the throttle pegged right down for 5-10kms at a time so maybe I just sucked up some old gas or something, although I dumped a shitload of sea foam in the tank.

I always measure the lowest point of the cvt intake/exhaust and engine intake and whatever one is shortest I take a permanent marker and draw a line of my fenders so I can quickly look down to see if I’m getting too deep, it’s saved me a couple of times on the sxs.

People have told me that you can go below the CVT exhaust because the air pressure keeps it out but I don’t believe that that low air flow can keep water out unless you are heavy on the throttle, but when you let off it’s done.

If I flood my CVT it can’t harm anything could it? I know It would cause the belt to slip because it works on friction but as long as I let it dry shouldn’t it be fine?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not "harm", exactly, but you'd certainly want to get in there and clean the gunk out as soon as possible afterward.

You've got a little graphite on the secondary splines, you've got the fiber washer in the primary, not to mention the one-way bearing with that isoflex grease in there. There is just enough "slippery stuff" in the belt box that I wouldn't want mucky water interacting with it any longer than absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Not "harm", exactly, but you'd certainly want to get in there and clean the gunk out as soon as possible afterward.

You've got a little graphite on the secondary splines, you've got the fiber washer in the primary, not to mention the one-way bearing with that isoflex grease in there. There is just enough "slippery stuff" in the belt box that I wouldn't want mucky water interacting with it any longer than absolutely necessary.
That’s good to know. Watched some videos of people getting below the CVT intake and it looks like a water pump lol.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good deal.
Excellent test ride!

Yeah, that wrap has to cure. I ended up removing the short pipe section I did because it was removing itself but the heat shield wrap is still good to go.

These guys love can am for deep water/mud. Some of the vids are beyond insane.

We dont swim ours but one thing I caught was make sure you're not accidentally stepping on that foot brake when you're rocking it. Something I probably wouldnt have caught until I did it.

Mine hasnt used a DROP of oil.
It also loves a sip of seafoam (lucas was good too) altho Ive been running straight pump gas 91 and 87 octane the last month or so since its been dialed in.

And its blown everything off the mountain Ive ridden with so far (y)

101 - 117 of 117 Posts