Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,622 Posts
Richard Rawlings would say "GET YOU SOME OF THAT!"

But yeah Z makes a good point- swap that conventional to an Optima/AGM asap.

Reactions: Vwluca

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see the reason.
Being in Alaska mountains, I need the weight in the front, have power to run communications equipment for extended periods of time, run a 120 volt power inverter, extra lighting, and just about any other need when hundreds of miles from any population.

Went out last night in 17 inches of snow and went up a steep hill where my front tires normally would lift away from the ground and the weight of the battery kept the front down. I already had the battery from a camper so didn't bother getting another.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Unless you upgraded the charging system its not going to be able to keep up with charging with all the extra attached. Also see you pigie backed it off your winch controller So unless you put a isolator in to separate the starting battery from that battery you may find your whole system gets drawn down enough that you will not get it started.. not what you want when your hundreds of miles from population... especially in the alaska cold as you know with the cold you experience up their you loose performance on your battery

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,622 Posts
Unless you upgraded the charging system its not going to be able to keep up with charging with all the extra attached. Also see you pigie backed it off your winch controller So unless you put a isolator in to separate the starting battery from that battery you may find your whole system gets drawn down enough that you will not get it started.. not what you want when your hundreds of miles from population... especially in the alaska cold as you know with the cold you experience up their you loose performance on your battery
Can't say as I share your concerns, here..... sure it might take a little longer runtime, for the factory VR to replenish what the bike uses out of the additional battery, but it can/will, eventually.

And with the additional CCA capacity, he'll be able to run that winch or any other accessories, much longer, before encountering a discharge/no-start condition.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Can't say as I share your concerns, here..... sure it might take a little longer runtime, for the factory VR to replenish what the bike uses out of the additional battery, but it can/will, eventually.

And with the additional CCA capacity, he'll be able to run that winch or any other accessories, much longer, before encountering a discharge/no-start condition.
recipe for disaster, the stator only puts out a maximum of 650 watts and is not design to run full tilt. Isolate it and add an AC charger, should last all day no problem as it's a deep cycle battery.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outlander XMR 650
5,622 Posts
recipe for disaster, the stator only puts out a maximum of 650 watts and is not design to run full tilt. Isolate it and add an AC charger, should last all day no problem as it's a deep cycle battery.
It's my understanding that the battery(s) on the bike can't command "full tilt", we're at the mercy of the engine RPM and VR as a result. The stator's going to output what it can at the rpm it's at, VR can only send what it's getting.

Sure it's maybe not an optimal setup, but I can't really see the "don't do it" angle....

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
It's my understanding that the battery(s) on the bike can't command "full tilt", we're at the mercy of the engine RPM and VR as a result. The stator's going to output what it can at the rpm it's at, VR can only send what it's getting.

Sure it's maybe not an optimal setup, but I can't really see the "don't do it" angle....
to clarify, "full tilt" in this case would mean max current for an extended period of time. For instance, the winch exerts quite a load on the battery and requires longer to recharge then the just the usage time of the winch. The more one draws down the batery(s) voltage, the longer the recharge time. So, as far as full tlt control....if you add to many accessories and use them a lot, you will force force the stator to produce the max current for longer periods then it was designed to handle. You can't turn it off and on with the flip of a switch, the VR tries to maaintain the voltage level and thus controls the current that not only recharges the battery(s) but also supplies the power that is required to keep the ATV operating.

·
Banned
6,161 Posts

A ps bike puts out 650w max.

Use more than that for extended periods and you're asking for trouble.

A battery is just a buffer.

·
Nobody Special
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well well well... reading all the replies here..
My heart is warmed by all the concerne here.

I am not worried about the stator or the battery isolator. If I totally blow the stator, then I will simply buy another and install it. Gives me an excuse to fix something. :ROFLMAO:
I do use an extreme 2 amp battery annalizer charger maintainer on my machine when parked. Keeps batteries at 100%.
I tied in at the winch solenoid for a few reasons. Another consideration is the electric brakes on my meat wagon. Don't forget I have that big tandem axle aluminum meat wagon that I sometimes pull. Another reason for the extra weight up front.

·
Nobody Special
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those would be 2 things i would be worried about first... If your stato goes while you are on one of your trips you are screwed... gonna be a long walk..LOL
Not if I have enough battery to have power for the time to get back. Besides, I never go alone on trips in the mountains. Always at least one other goes along. Foolish to go alone.

·
Nobody Special
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got another 200 miles on my machine since I installed the battery. Only electrical difference I notice is my headlights don't dim down when the cooling fan kicks in like they did before. So the big battery acts like a buffer. Also I get better traction in the snow and ride is smoother.

·
Nobody Special
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After a few weeks I have had no issue starting my machine. Before I added the second battery I had issues with no spark on the spark plugs. Now it fires every time. I find this interesting.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
U have bigger issues then... need to find the source of the no spark issues the second battery is masking... could be a much bigger issue that over time may leave u stranded or a total loss of your machine

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts