Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Love it!

I agree with the concerns,,, and the reasoning for doing it (y)
Awesome mod

Only thing I would do different is throw it on an isolator but thats just from all the years of running dual batts in our trucks.

Great job, first time Ive ever seen anyone do that on a quad.
Would save me gas in the back country always firing it up and letting her idle when running the light bars.

Reactions: Freewill

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well well well... reading all the replies here..
My heart is warmed by all the concerne here.

I am not worried about the stator or the battery isolator. If I totally blow the stator, then I will simply buy another and install it. Gives me an excuse to fix something. :ROFLMAO:
I do use an extreme 2 amp battery annalizer charger maintainer on my machine when parked. Keeps batteries at 100%.
I tied in at the winch solenoid for a few reasons. Another consideration is the electric brakes on my meat wagon. Don't forget I have that big tandem axle aluminum meat wagon that I sometimes pull. Another reason for the extra weight up front.

View attachment 100313
View attachment 100312
My question is,
Well well well... reading all the replies here..
My heart is warmed by all the concerne here.

I am not worried about the stator or the battery isolator. If I totally blow the stator, then I will simply buy another and install it. Gives me an excuse to fix something. :ROFLMAO:
I do use an extreme 2 amp battery annalizer charger maintainer on my machine when parked. Keeps batteries at 100%.
I tied in at the winch solenoid for a few reasons. Another consideration is the electric brakes on my meat wagon. Don't forget I have that big tandem axle aluminum meat wagon that I sometimes pull. Another reason for the extra weight up front.

View attachment 100313
View attachment 100312
My question is, are those ITP Cryptid tires? They don't look as aggressive as I thought they were on your machine, which I like. I'm going to need new tires soon and I don't want a balls to the wall mud tire as I trail ride 90% of the time. Those look good on the machine too.

I really like my stock ACT Carlisle tires that come on the XT models, just might want to try something a bit more aggressive this time around.

·
Nobody Special
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sounds like your primary battery is bad. You might want to load test it.
Possible the original battery may be defective. The machine sat in the showroom for several months before I purchased it. Service could not figure out what the issue was. I could start it several days in a row with no problem then it would not fire. I would leave it alone for a couple days then try it again and it would fire right up. But since I added the second battery it has fired every time. The service department is clueless and tell me they never heard of this issue before. Once it would not fire, I got it in the back of my truck and took it to the dealer. When I went to demonstrate it not starting to the service tech, it fired right up.

·
Nobody Special
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My question is,

My question is, are those ITP Cryptid tires? They don't look as aggressive as I thought they were on your machine, which I like. I'm going to need new tires soon and I don't want a balls to the wall mud tire as I trail ride 90% of the time. Those look good on the machine too.

I really like my stock ACT Carlisle tires that come on the XT models, just might want to try something a bit more aggressive this time around.
Yes, ITP Cryptid. Good tire and great on trails and in mud. Not bad on pavement either. I have no desire to go to anything else. They dig in when needed. Great in the snow too.

·
Nobody Special
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
9 month review on the battery mod.
I have had zero issues.
I can draw power from my wheeler all night charging things from the bug zapper to the GoPro to the phones and the wheeler starts the next day.
I can start my wheeler at -27F
I actually forget the 27 series deep cycle battery is installed.

·
Nobody Special
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just wondering if the original battery is still in service or did you replace it?
Also, would a small gas generator be of any use when out in the wilderness?
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, fascinating!
The small battery is still original and still in service in parallel with the big battery.

I do have one of those cheap $100 Chinese generators. 1000 watt. But no, have not taken that out with me.

·
Nobody Special
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
10 months later and absolutely no issues! Starts at -27F. Stator has no issues. I have all the power I need.

·
Nobody Special
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Unless you upgraded the charging system its not going to be able to keep up with charging with all the extra attached. Also see you pigie backed it off your winch controller So unless you put a isolator in to separate the starting battery from that battery you may find your whole system gets drawn down enough that you will not get it started.. not what you want when your hundreds of miles from population... especially in the alaska cold as you know with the cold you experience up their you loose performance on your battery
Those would be 2 things i would be worried about first... If your stato goes while you are on one of your trips you are screwed... gonna be a long walk..LOL
After one year and 2,000 miles since installing the big battery, I have had zero issues. I have not had to touch it. I have not used a battery charger since installed. Still have original battery in service too. Just have not gotten around to pulling it out yet. Need it for a remote start generator that has a bad battery. If anyone else wants to duplicate this battery modification that I did, I would encourage it unless you like to do wheelies. Many times the battery has gone under water when I cross rivers. No issues. Nothing but good things from this modification for me. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts