Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i have just bought a 2008 renegade (X package) from a dealership around a month ago. yesterday when i got home from work i noticed the tail light was on in the bike, when i got closer i could hear the fuel pump trying to prime itself. so i immediately put the key in the bike! when i turned the key to the "ON" position the fuel pump stop( as they normally should) ! the check engine came on the screen.and the bike would not start( nothing happened when i tried to start it) after setting for about 30 seconds its went away and the bike started right up. so i took it for a drive and it ran perfectly. when i returned home i shut it off ( using the key) when i did this the tail light staid on and the fuel pump keep trying to kick in. then i shut off the kill switch and it stoped. when i turn the kill switch on the fuel pump kicks back in and tries to prime itself ( regardless if the key is in it or not) . so i dont no if this is a kill switch problem or a key problem or maybe even a fuel pump problem?. did any one else have this happen to them? or no anything about this haha.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe it's a key switch problem. They have had problems with the ignition switches. It seems to affect different bikes in different ways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think it would be ok to drive until i can buy a new key switch? i dont want to be left stranded or the bike end up burning on me!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i should leave the key in it and just use the kill switch! but i will still have to turn the key off when im not driven it or the battery will die, right? or will the kill switch cut all power to everything even if the key is on?

·
Super Moderator/Welcoming Director
9,970 Posts
so i should leave the key in it and just use the kill switch! but i will still have to turn the key off when im not driven it or the battery will die, right? or will the kill switch cut all power to everything even if the key is on?
when in my garage i use the kill switch after about 3-4 seconds everything dies. all power off. and my key always to on. :)

I know this is an old pic but the the text is the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts