Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my issue. It's a self made issue and I wish I would've done things differently.. About 3 weeks ago I purchased a brand new 2013 outlander 400 max xt. I had the option on buying a 13 outlander 650 max dps for about 1500 more. Me and the wife took it for the first right last week and it performed well, however the 650 is still in the back of my head. Do you think the dealer would jab me on trade? It has 65 miles on it and it's still fully warrantied I paid 7100 for it. Anyone ever had this issue before? Like I said I'm still licking myself! Any thoughts or similar experiences would be great!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey Wisco21,

I work at a dealer and have seen similar situations before. Because the quad has been registered to you (as that's when warranty begins) the quad is technically used. For this the dealer has to resell it as used. He can discrib the situation to the next buyer, but hes gonna take a hit on the resell, so hes gonna likely kick that back to you pretty hard. I expect at least a grand loss, plus the difference. But that's just my :smilietwocents:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah expect to take some kind of loss. I'd like to say it depends on your dealer, but most Can am dealers are the same.

I had the other side of your scenario happen at a dealer here. They have a 2013 400xt in the showroom we were thinking of buying for the boy. The bumper is scratched, some black scuffs on the plastic, and it has 56km on it. They've been using it to pull a boat back and forth to display on the road out front. THEY WANT FULL PRICE!!
They offered to knock off $100 for the scratches and scuffs. I kept saying "But it's used", "It's not even broken in and you're towing a boat" The worst part is you know it was making the 2 short trips a day without ever warming up.
So I told the guy,,,suppose this was brand new and I bought it,,,I put on the 56km on it and scuffed it up. Decide I want bigger,,,would you give me exactly what I paid for it towards a trade? The look on his face was priceless as he listened to himself say "No, it's used"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha! Yeah ya gotta live dealers. They don't think like a customer. Ever really. Who knows I'm tempted to call and just see what he would
Do for me. Just for some humor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haha! Yeah ya gotta live dealers. They don't think like a customer. Ever really. Who knows I'm tempted to call and just see what he would
Do for me. Just for some humor
Just a thought for you...my dealer will advertise machines for guys that want to do a private sale. It works great for situations like this. They place the ads on line and actively look for buyers, they then sell the machine (no taxes cause its a private deal), but get to sell you a brand new machine. Its a win-win situation!

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
You would be better selling it outright or on consignment at dealer, but its gonna be a major PITA because everyone is going to try and low-ball you on your price no matter how low the miles.
This is the reason I bought a 1,000, my dealer tried to talk me into a 800 and I refused because I knew I would be in your shoes wanting a bigger machine and be stuck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I called to see what they could do. I would take it on the shorts about 800 bucks. But stepping up to power steering, twice the power and the new frame to me seems like not a bad deal. I'm gonna sleep on it an decide in the morning. I asked about the consignment deal and they say they rarely do it unfortunately. I thought about selling it outright and your right if it's not a big bore I will probably get low balled the whole time. I feel like going through the dealer and not worrying about trying to sell it would be way less a hassle. I've done business with them before so I'm a repeat customer and they seem to take care of the repeats.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I'd trade with the dealer...$800.00 bucks isn't bad and u won't have the headache of selling it yourself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
$800 is much less than I was expecting. If on the very first ride you where already regretting not getting the the 650 I think this is really your chance. Down the road we will most likely upgrade to the bigger bore Outlander, it's a shame to have to fork over an extra $800, but that amount will be much bigger if you wait a few more months, or even a year or 2.

Morevover, I think the 650 will hold its value much longer. Plus there are more go fast goodies that can be added to the V-Twins than the 400.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree 100%. Double the horsepower just sounds fun. I did get it. Gonna go pick it up tommorow. I think I will
Be much happier with the 650 for sure

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.