Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 650 wouldn't start, not even turn over. The pod lit up when the ignition was turned on but nothing happened when I pushed the start button. I took it to the shop and they wanted to replace the starter for about $400. I brought it home and tore the kill switch on the grip down. There is a little copper connector in there (looks like a staple) that connects the points on another piece of copper to start the bike. All the copper was corroded. I cleaned everything with a wire brush and put some grease on it. Put it all back together and the bike started right up. If you have a similar problem, check this area first; especially if you ride in the mud alot or the bike gets caught in the rain or snow. The water will get in there and corrode the copper. I'm thinking about taking mine back apart and putting silicone around the two pieces to seal it. If you take it apart be real careful to pay attention to how everything goes back together and don't lose any parts. Many of them are very small. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What does it look like inside mine wont come off the screws just spin and spin the nut I'm assuming that is on the inside has broke free maybe and is just spinning, any ideas how I could maybe get the switch off without breaking it farther with this problem

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Had a similar problem and did what you did but with the 4x4 switch. Slow to engage and disengage. Switch works great now

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah I'd live to be able to do that but the bolts just spin and I don't know how else to get it off the bike without breaking it ?‍♂ any ideas? If not does anyone know of an aftermarket part #
I have a 800 can am renegade gen 1/2007

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
At this point , try a putty knife or thin bladed screwdriver between the halves and apply a gentle prying while spinning the screws .

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sometimes you just have to "Pay To Play", buy a switch & get back to playing. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jorge570
1 - 9 of 9 Posts