Can-Am ATV Forum banner

lift

1565 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Linuxian
Hey guys. Ive been reading up around here to see what people are doing for lifting their outlander but I'm having a hard time finding the best option. First off, I have a 13 1000XT. I want to run 29.5 OL2's and the less trimming the better. Ive been looking at the high lifter signature series, but people are saying that they have axle problems. Ive also heard that you shouldn't do a spacer lift because its cheap and doesn't really change much besides the ride stiffness. Does anyone know the correct way to lift the ATV without having a bunch of problems? If needed I guess I could purchase new axles but don't really want to unless I have to. Thanks.
See less
Hey guys. Ive been reading up around here to see what people are doing for lifting their outlander but I'm having a hard time finding the best option. First off, I have a 13 1000XT. I want to run 29.5 OL2's and the less trimming the better. Ive been looking at the high lifter signature series, but people are saying that they have axle problems. Ive also heard that you shouldn't do a spacer lift because its cheap and doesn't really change much besides the ride stiffness. Does anyone know the...
See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
I've been researching this as well. It seems like lifting the suspension increases the angle of the cv joint placing more stress on it. The higher the lift, the more stress on the joint.

I've been trying to figure out the failure rate for a 2" lift vs 4" lift. No luck yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
73 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you... I will be getting bigger and more aggressive tires once these ones are toast... Not really willing to spend the money for a bracket lift. Was going to just do pipe lift just to clear the tires I want. But we will see when the time comes. I'm interested to know what everyone else does....

· Registered
218 Posts
I did a few hours on this earlier today. The more I look at the pipe lift option, the less I like it. All it does is compress the hell out of the springs. The bike would ride like a dump truck. The next upgrade I wanted to do is a set of Elka's. Suspension is really important to me cuz I do a lot of trail riding in addition to mud.

I'm thinking of doing the high lifter kit because it's less agressive in the back where people seem to have issues.

The other thing is I'm on a 650 Xmr so I don't have all that crazy air ride crap going on. From what I've read, people put lift kits in the 1k bike then jack up the air ride. Then they wonder why the axels get pulled out of the differentials.

· Registered
517 Posts
putting a lift on any vehicle puts added wear on components, just a fact.
as for spring spacers, can-am springs seem to sag out a little so you'll find a lot of guys adding spacers to add more pre-load to the springs to stiffen them as well as they hold the body of the machine a little higher to clear bigger rubber. i personally have 1.25 billet spacers and actually prefer the ride over stock. the corners of the machine don't seem to dive as hard when turning and it rides more athletically.
bracket lifts do give a true lift but as mentioned they seem to eat stock axles as well as also cause premature wear on components.
its unfortunate but it seems difficult to get a long term breakdown of experiences with bracket kits online but i'm sure its like anything, we're always hearing the horror stories with peoples bad experiences and there are probably tons of guys running them without incident and not reporting about it.

· Premium Member
544 Posts
running 2 inch high lifter with can am fox shocks. outlaw 29.5 skinnys. No axle problems as of yet. Still rubs on the inside front under a pretty hard compression. The O2's are a good inch taller than the original outlaws so be aware of that when you get tires. The 28 inch O2's are as tall as the original 29.5's. Here is a picture of some 31" outlaws. Outlaw2's in the middle and my old 29.5s on the right.

Attachments

· Registered
517 Posts
running 2 inch high lifter with can am fox shocks.

· Registered
218 Posts
So, I talked to the High Lifter folks today and they said they don't have anything that would work on the 650 Xmr. I guess that leaves me with a bit more trimming of the fenders and some spring work. Maybe tomorrow...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.