Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out this weekend for the first 2 rides of the year and managed to have Limp Mode kick on both times. On day 1, I was running my 27" zillas and STI Beadlocks. I do not have a clutch kit yet, so I figured maybe a combination of the bigger tires, lack of clutch kit, and dirty radiator.

For day 2, I put the 25" tires back on, and cleaned the radiator as well as I could with the body work still on, using a low pressure garden hose spraying until the water running out of the bottom of the bike was clear.

After about 4 hours on the trails, we came to one of the more difficult parts of the trail that require Low range and 4wd, it's basically a crawl the entire time, 5-10 mph, up steep and rooted out trails. After about 15 minutes of that the check engine light started flashing, but I didn't feel like it was cutting my power. I was still able to floor it and get what felt like normal response out of the engine. The rest of the day I couldn't get that light to come off, We took it easy back to camp in High range going between 20-30 mph, trying to keep a constant speed to let some air get into the bike.

The message read 'Check Engine', I had a overheating problem last year where the water did boil over and I can't remember if the message read 'Hi Temp' back then, or if it's always read 'Check Engine'....but for whatever reason I thought it read Hi Temp, so is this a different message altogether?

Also, I did install analog temp gauge on the radiator line that goes from the radiator to the water pump. It did not get higher than 185 all day, which tells me that the cooling system is working as it should, but something is making the engine run hot.

I performed the Fan Controller mod last year, the fan turns on at 148 and turns off at 165. I filled the radiator with 1/2 quart of Redline Water Wetter, I've had good luck with this in my drag car so figured I'd give it a shot.

Here is what I am thinking.

1. Fuel - If the engine is running extremely rich or extremely lean, it will run hot. I do have a Muzzy slip-on and the Muzzy Fuel controller. I tried to richen the fuel mixture but couldn't get it out of limp mode.
2. Water Pump - Do they go bad? I haven't had the water pump housing apart yet so I have no clue how it even works.
3. Clogged cooling system - I'm going to do a full system flush and see if I see anything that looks suspect.
4. Dirt - The skid plate seems to hold in lots of dirt/mud into/on the bottom of the engine. I'm going to completely disassemble the bike and clean it really good while I'm doing the coolant flush.
5. Weight - I'm 320 lbs +/- 10 depending on what kind of month I've had. Aside from being a heavy load on the bike, I also cover up most of the seat, so any air-cooling that could normally happen under the seat from the sides, probably doesn't happen with me.

I feel like this is a known issue and so many people have had problems with it. I thought the Fan controller fixed it, but it looks like I was either wrong, or I have a different problem.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. The bike is a 2009 800R X, it has almost 4000 miles on it, all of the fluids have been replaced since I've owned it EXCEPT the coolant.....but I don't know that coolant really goes bad, does it?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I would change the coolant regardless...then I would reclean the radiator. A lot of people think that it is clean but there is still mud caked on it where you can't see....also I believe it should have a thermostat. MAybe that needs to be checked or replaced...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Use engine ice.. Will cool your system about 15-20 degrees.. Run it in all our race dirtbikes and I run it in my renegade.. Never had an over heating issue.. And I'm running in Florida in the middle of the summer

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NoFlyZone54,

I will likely do that, but I just want to be certain that there isn't another serious problem going on with my ATV. I feel like if I only address the temperature part of it then I'm likely missing something else.

The bike overheating is a symptom of something else being wrong, it's not the actual problem.

I wanted to use Engine Ice when I put the Redline watter wetter in, but nobody around here carried it and I didn't want to wait 5-10 days for it to show up.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If the temp gauge says your not hot, and it's working properly, then your not hot. I would check the temp sending unit. If you have air in the cooling system that will cause you a Hi temp limp. Standard anti freeze does have a life span and needs to be changed. Don't remember how often but I think 2 yrs. Not positive. When you flush the system, follow the manufacture's purging procedure. At the end of the procedure, I always have to jack the front of the wheeler up, warm it up with the rad cap off and once it starts circulating (thermostadt open) blip the throttle a few times to burp the rest of the air out. Hope you get it straight. :th_smiliethumbsup:

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts