Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need some help.
2012 650 xt
Last time I rode fan was working intermittently but not like it usually does.
Ill save you the story of what happened and jumped to what I've done so far.
Pulled the error code p0119 engine coolant intern. I've searched on this and not found much. I pulled the bike apart today, cleaned the rad, jumped the fan off a battery, checked ok. Pulled the plug off the coolant temp sensor, bike went into limp fan kicked on. After each attempt to diagnose i let the bike idle for 15 mins fan would not come on. So now my question is does this point to the coolant temp sensor being bad? I've read it could be the ECM. Should I replace the sensor? Or can I bypass all this by just hooking the fan to a toggle switch?

I appreciate any help you guys can give. Trails reopen on the 15th and I'm itching to ride

·
Registered
159 Posts
I hooked mine to a switch the other day and love it. Works great for slow trail riding and cooler on the legs. You could do this so you can ride till you find the problem but I would get it fixed. Sounds like a sensor to me but someone here knows more than me in that area.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response cat. Ill def get that switch in. I'll keep it parked till I get this figured out. Really hoping a tech on here can shed a lil more light on this for me.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
A switch is a cheep way for doing a fan controller. You will wait to long to turn it on and then forget and leave it on far longer than needed. Do you really think your brain and memory is smarter than an automatic control. When I'm running slow in trees and rocks the fan is going on and off all the time. The fan may run as little as 1/2 the time.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did I say I was going to hook a switch and rely only on that? No I didn't. If you would kindly read back to my first post where I state that my fan is not running and asking if the coolant temp sensor would be to blame it would be kindly appreciated. Instead of telling me I'm not smart enough to operate a switch properly

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Did I say I was going to hook a switch and rely only on that? No I didn't. If you would kindly read back to my first post where I state that my fan is not running and asking if the coolant temp sensor would be to blame it would be kindly appreciated. Instead of telling me I'm not smart enough to operate a switch properly

No but if you read all the postings you will see # 2 by Fat cat.

And then there is your posting #3
" Ill def get that switch in"

:th_smiliefrustrated How are you going to remember the switch if you can not remember your above QUOTE in posting #3 :th_smiliefrustrated

:th_smiliepullhair: But you do need to go to classes for anger management. And I'm sure that I'm not the first or only one to tell you that. :th_smiliepullhair:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about you read post 3 under where I say I will put a switch in and then post I will not ride the bike till the issue is fixed. Meaning the issue of the p0119 code and the fan not running on its own. If I choose to tie in a switch to allow me to operate my fan before the ECM turns it on that is my choice. And how about you disregard the thought that I'm not bright enough to operate a toggle switch and focus on the issue of the error code and the fan not running. I'd appreciate that. Thanks and have a nice day

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I've seen this code posted a few times with no real answers. I just replaced the coolant temp sensor. 30 mins of slow riding around my yard fan working as it should with no limp mode triggered. Seems to have solved the problem

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Not sure what year your ATV is, but I had similar issue with our 2007. Drove me crazy until I figured out is was a loose fuse connection. Fuse holder on older models is at rear right behind the rectifier.

After that I decided to install fan bypass switch just in case of emergencies. Bypass switch eliminates any guessing. Either it works or it doesn't. It's just that simple.

Sorry I just noticed it's a 2012. Fuse is in the front, but you probably know that already.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have never forgot yet lol to turn on the fan while riding slow but a fan controller is in the future when I get time. All I suggested was to hook one up till you get the problem solved which seemed like a good idea. At least you could ride it. Get some grease on that fan plug to.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fan is working as it should. The temp sensor failed. I tested the one I removed this afternoon. There was no drop in resistance. I'm fine with just a switch. If I decide when I'm stopped on trail and it could use a lil cooling I'll turn it on. And as franky said. If something fails it'll be there for back up to get it home

·
Registered
465 Posts
My brother hooked his to the ignition on his popo 700 (well known for there heat issues). It worked great, fan always on when the ignition is on but he kept burning up fan motors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts