Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering one of these boxes but im not sure they will hold up to the abuse. I like to be able to stand on my rear box and also im not sure a decent tree rub wouldnt crack the thing. I also heard you cannot buy parts like hinges separately.
Anyone have one of these? How is it holding up?
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I got one, rubbed a few trees but i wouldn't recommend standing on it. It's nice in that you can take it off or put in back on very quickly. Would I buy one again, no. Why, because you can't buy the individual parts that tend to break.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I have the trunk, like it, and haven't had any issues with it.....but I don't think it would support anyone standing on it...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have 1 Matter of fact 2. They hold up well except for when I rolled it over 3 times avoiding a elk, the only thing broke hinges & cracked lid ect.
No you cant buy hinges I tried But the box wasn't destroyed like you would think.
Why would you want to stand on it !!!!!!!!
It holds almost anything want to carry.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can't get past the price. Yes I know it's like argument if you can afford a Ferrari then don't complain about the maintenance or insurance cost. However would you buy the trunk or mod a large Pelican case and mount it with linq? I'm leaning towards a Pelican. It won't have 32 gal capacity but it's bomb proof and waterproof. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. That pretty well answers my question. I think i will pass on the box. I use my wheeler for moose hunting and i have shot 6 or 8 bull moose while standing on my rear box. It usually makes me just tall enough to see over the brush. If i wasnt standing on my box i never would have seen the moose. If you go through with the pelican please post some pics.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yea, the BRP one is nice, but it's gawd awful big and looks fragile. It will hold a ton of stuff though.

I looked a the kimpex and one other one (forgot the brand) and decided on the BRP for fit and finish.

Also you have to order the 'panels' extra so add another $50 to whatever the cost of the box is.

Does not look to me like it'd take a lot of abuse and I sure as heck wouldn't stand on it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For what it's worth, I asked my dealer about these yesterday. He confirmed cracks are common and hinges breaking also. As stated above, you can't replace any of the parts. I assume it's like anything, it all depends on how you treat it. His theory is people around here buy CanAMs because they expect to be able to abuse the crap out of it and so it goes with any parts. The more they pay the worse they abuse.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I broke one of my hinges and had no problem replacing the hinge. They are sold in pairs for $34pr. Not a big deal. I flipped it onto its side, the box resting on a rock actually kept the atv off the ground while I stood up, then the hinge snapped. It was a 10 min repair when I got the new hinge.
I like the looks, the lock and the large capacity. The box just looks like it belongs on the Can Am.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I broke one of my hinges and had no problem replacing the hinge. They are sold in pairs for $34pr. Not a big deal. I flipped it onto its side, the box resting on a rock actually kept the atv off the ground while I stood up, then the hinge snapped. It was a 10 min repair when I got the new hinge.
I like the looks, the lock and the large capacity. The box just looks like it belongs on the Can Am.
How's about posting a part number for that?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
X2

·
Registered
193 Posts
While the box doesn't seem as sturdy as what is on my Polaris, I do like the function of it. Wife broke the little retainer clip for the prop rod, but it just rests on the top of it now instead of cliping in. Would have been nice to have a shock absorber in there instead of a prop rod, OR, have the lid such that it will open fully and stay open on its own. Ahhh first world problems eh?

Only thing I don't really like on the box is the glossy panels scratch so easy. Otherwise fine n dandy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rockhead where did you buy hinges & please give pt#. THANKS
Sorry for the delay; was on vacation. I got the hinges at the BRP dealer here in Whitby Ontario. I will go and see if I still have the box they came in.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hinge Kit

I was looking for a box, when I should have been looking for a bag.
Here it is.
Hinge Kit 708200326

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I was looking for a box, when I should have been looking for a bag.
Here it is.
Hinge Kit 708200326
Thank you!...I don't need any hinges yet and hopefully, I dont. But it's good to have the number and file it away in case I do...thanks again!

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Just looked up the price on the hinges...$29.00... Not bad considering the box was a lot more than that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Limited to replacement parts. Cracked the lid on mine, only option is to buy a entirely new one... not gonna happen. Loved the box but if you cant buy parts for something that's obviously gonna get beat up it isn't worth it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts