Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my 2014 Outlander 650 Max xt this week. I thought I would use my truck and just load it into the box (2000 GMC Sierra with 6.5ft box.). My question is will the quad fit in the box (might have to keep the endgate down) and will I have to put something at the front so the front bumper of the quad does not hit the back window of the truck?

I know many people use an old tire, but I don't have one off a rim....I thought about putting some blocks of wood down but they would have to be pretty high, and I didn't know how high I should go. Any help/pics would really help me.

·
Registered
401 Posts

I use a cheap wheel chock screwed to a board. The distance of the wood will vary based on your wheeler, but I have a rolling tonneau canister to protect as well, so mine are very long. I am on the tailgate for sure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It will fit and the tail gate will be down. Blocks up front work so long as the tires contact them before the brush guard touches the bed. If you're loading with ramps, make sue you're in 4x low and use something beefier than the whimpy safety strap the ramps come with. Congrats on the new machine

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use the old tire method and have a small one up front to prevent it from crashing through the window. My GMC has an 8' box and I can just close the tailgate with my 2013 650 MAX XT inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I use a cheap wheel chock screwed to a board. The distance of the wood will vary based on your wheeler, but I have a rolling tonneau canister to protect as well, so mine are very long. I am on the tailgate for sure.
How long is that board that the wheel chock is screwed to. I have a soft tonneau cover that gets rolled up that I will have have to protect as well. I wonder if I could use my rubber car ramps that I use to change oil in the vehicles with...they are probably around 24inches long.

·
Registered
401 Posts
All you need to do is put the wheel chock in front of the tire, place a level at the furthest point out and measure from the level to the front of the wheel chock, then add the depth of the tonneau cover. In my case, the front the chock to the furthest point on the outty was 19" plus 9" for the tonneau cover, plus 1" extra or 29" total.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I nose mine right up almost tight to the front of the box on my 07 nbs gmc 2500. No hope of the tailgate closing but its not on it either. With my 07 can am it fits a tad better if I back it in. Not always a option though. Wet ramps backing into a slight lifted 3/4 ton doesn't work very well. Lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All you need to do is put the wheel chock in front of the tire, place a level at the furthest point out and measure from the level to the front of the wheel chock, then add the depth of the tonneau cover. In my case, the front the chock to the furthest point on the outty was 19" plus 9" for the tonneau cover, plus 1" extra or 29" total.
You are right, except I do not have the quad yet. I will be picking it up in 1 week and would like my system in place before I drive to the dealer. This is what makes it harder for me. I would like something in place so that I can ensure a safe drive home and then if I have to fine tune it once I am home, I will have the quad to measure and the time to do it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I use a couple of pieces of old 8x8" pressure treated post. just put one in front of each front tire and strap it down

·
Registered
56 Posts
You don't need a tire just be careful and use straps. I got 2007 sierra 800 outlander xt tailgate will be down just use the straps.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Be careful your tailgate cables aren't rusted, as if they break, the tailgate will fall on the bumper and get a nice crease in it. I had a brand new chevy rust a cable off in one year. Just check yours for good measures!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do the 4 strap method as I have the tri fold tonnuo cover plus when my quad is at the front it isn't on the tailgate and I can't close it. Don't like it bouncing so I usr 2 forward and 2 back and have no issues

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
What I do for the back of my pick up is use four straps. Two pulling backwards and two pulling forwards, machine does not move. Just my two cents.
+1 with brakes on. I have an xt so I attach two hooks to the front bumper and 2 on the bar that goes across the frame in front of the rear tires. Standard bed can't close the gate.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I tie off on the 4 corners and if I'm going further afar I run 4 more underneath the quad from the centre. Parking brake on, in park and it never moves. You should never tie off to anything above the suspension A arms and the hitch are better bets. They don't flex like tieing off to the rack. If you hit a bump the staps can and will lossen off. Another big no no is the winch. Never use it to hold your quad on a trailer. I shake my head every time I see someone doing that.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
When not using a trailer I tie mine down on four corners. I run the straps through the rims instead of any of the frame or suspension so that I'm not compressing the suspension or otherwise inducing shock loads on the straps. I find this way more secure than tying to the ball/hitch of the big and compressing everything.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use two ratchet straps to secure the bike. I also use two smaller ratchets to secure my ramps to my hitch so they don't fall off. Ride the bike up in low 4x4 and stop about an inch before the front of the bed. Once everything is tied down I use the two ratchets for the ramps to secure my tailgate 3/4's of the way up

Hope those pic links worked

1 - 20 of 21 Posts