Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2001 Traxter XT 500 and it started burning oil I need new piston rings but they are discontinued I’m sure there has to be a set sitting on a shelf collecting dust somewhere or someone has a parts bike that has a good piston and rings still any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
774 Posts
If it were me and I needed discontinued rings, I think I would search for that bore size rings for something else. If same ring groove size then great. If not, then I would find a thicker ring and take my piston to a machine shop and have them turn the piston and cut a wider ring groove. But that is just what I would do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply that is a good idea I’ll look into finding something seems like everyplace I have talked to they haven’t been super super helpful with different ways to make it work

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,568 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has any updates on what they have done to install new rings on their 1999 to 2001 Traxter or if anyone has found an aftermarket ring set that can fit a first generation Traxter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any updates on what they have done to install new rings on their 1999 to 2001 Traxter or if anyone has found an aftermarket ring set that can fit a first generation Traxter?
I have not found anything yet and have basically exhausted all options

·
Super Moderator
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
774 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. I am going to check with some places to see how much it will cost to machine the piston to accept an aftermarket ring set.
I would imagine could be from $20 to $50 to have the ring groove enlarged. When I had my lathe, I would have charged you a 6 pack of brew!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for letting me know. I am going to check with some places to see how much it will cost to machine the piston to accept an aftermarket ring set.

Can you please let me know what you find out as I really want to get mine back up and running

·
Registered
192 Posts
What is wrong with your rings now?
Have you measured ring end gap and they are out of spec?
is it simply using oil?
is the cylinder glazed?

I have only been in one traxter engine but the cylinder is a nikasil bore and most of the time I would expect a very long life of the rings. Piston is a cast part that is not so high tech but I would think wiseco would have something close enough. from past searches traxter 500 pistons are not so common otherwise I would have bought a piston for R&D .

What are the dimensions of the rings?

top ring = thickness (top to bottom)?
= outside to inside measurement
= type (shape- rectangular or **** style)
second ring =thickness (top to bottom)?
= type
oil ring= how many pieces?
= how tall?

measured bore diameter of cylinder( in MM please)?

Pictures always help good detail photos of ring cross sections and I will look at my sources.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts