Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Im looking to get into a 4x4 ATV. After research, input from friends etc, ive landed on a can am outlander. Either a 450 or a 570. I have about 8k to spend max. (out the door, taxes etc)
I have a few questions for owners. The MSRP out the door price for the 570 is at the top of my budget, and id like to be able to get a few accessories like a winch/snorkel, which is why im considering the 450. Might be important to note, im a big dude, like 350. I plan to do trails like hatfield mccoy, some beach riding, and some light to moderate mud, but mud isnt my focus. Reliability and capability are my two biggest metrics. Speed really doesnt matter all that much. As long as i can manage 45 or so im good.

1. is there a big difference between the 450 and the 570 in terms of how they ride/drive/deal with mud/obstacles ?
2. Is one engine more reliable than the other?
3. If i wanted to step up to 27s or so, would the 450 be fine for those?
4. does the 450 have the same magneto as the 570?
5. Any of you who have purchased were you able to negotiate pricing? I was quoted 8130 out the door for a 570 and about 750 less for a 450. If i can get a few hundred off the 570, then that seals the deal.

·
Registered
843 Posts
1. Ride is exactly the same, same wheels, tires, shocks.
2. Both seem to reliable 570 has wayyy more power IMHO.
3.450 can run 27s will definitely rob power
4.dont know on magneto, go to can ams website it will tell you.
5. Is $8150 for a xt or base model. If that's for a base model that's a rip off. Either way get the 570, v twin more hp and they rip for a 570.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Ride is exactly the same, same wheels, tires, shocks.
2. Both seem to reliable 570 has wayyy more power IMHO.
3.450 can run 27s will definitely rob power
4.dont know on magneto, go to can ams website it will tell you.
5. Is $8150 for a xt or base model. If that's for a base model that's a rip off. Either way get the 570, v twin more hp and they rip for a 570.
Thats for a base model . MSRP is 6,999 Sales tax is 350, and there is a 200 dollar processing fee. I think the rest is in freight etc.

They didnt even have a 570 in stock. Im waiting for it to get delivered on the 28th with some other inventory. Apparently because of covid inventory is scarce. I want to negotiate but im not sure how far to push it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yikes prices really have gone up then. I know covid is driving Powersports up everywhere. Where are you located?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes prices really have gone up then. I know covid is driving Powersports up everywhere. Where are you located?
Im in virginia. Pretty much willing to drive up to 2 hours. If negotiating is a thing, ill start calling dealerships and getting their best price/verifying inventory. Before i start playing hardball with honda house, i want to make sure I have something to walk away too.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Having owned a 400 EFI (replaced with the 450) and now a 570 v-twin (which replaced the 500) I can say that the v-twin feels MUCH snappier. The 400 was good, but was just on par with other single cylinder machines out there. The Can Am v-twins are in a league of their own. The machines with the bigger charging systems are the ones with power steering.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As Dave B said , go 570. Never an issue with the motor.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Go with the 570... gf has a 450 and I find its just not their.... plus (no offence) with your weight your going to want the bigger motor. Also the first upgrade u will probably make is shocks...

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input everyone!

Has anyone had any experience negotiating within the last year?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Um yeah good luck with that didn’t get me any where. I ordered a 2020 with rebates never got it finally showed up as an 2021 no rebates, retail price is what I paid , took 9 months for my wheeler to show up started in March got it in December I think things are a little bit better now tho just saying

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Um yeah good luck with that didn’t get me any where. I ordered a 2020 with rebates never got it finally showed up as an 2021 no rebates, retail price is what I paid , took 9 months for my wheeler to show up started in March got it in December I think things are a little bit better now tho just saying
That stinks. Im prepared to pay retail for it if i have to. Id at least like the dealer to throw in the oil for the first change after the break in.
Plan is to call all the can am dealers tomorrow and see if any of them can budge on price. The whole "Ive been given this out the door price, can you beat it?" deal.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I’ve been hearing rumors of dealers charging more then retail cuz of supply and demand hope it’s not the case for you. Let us know how you did don’t need total $$$. But would like to know if you thought you got an ok , great or so so deal.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you are looking to negotiate, go in will a large stack of cash and slap it on the table. If they are willing to work with you they will take it. If not tell them to go fuck themselves and move on to the next dealer. Cash is always king.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
OP good luck! It's full retail+ everywhere for Can Am's and most other brands too. It's supply and demand. Cash is not king as some dealers have subsidized finance programs established and get points on deals or get points on prime+ rates if the consumer isn't savvy. The days of cash is king are gone at big shops. The little used car dealer that can work sometimes but only with the shady ones trying to side step uncle sam. My advice is buy the most powerful machine you can afford and add accessories later on. 350lbs is a lot to haul around I'd recommend an 850-1000, but a 570 is a great bargain and with the V-Twin it's got a lot more power than the competition. I know my wife MADE me buy a Sportsman 570 when I told her an Outlander 570 was the way to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP good luck! It's full retail+ everywhere for Can Am's and most other brands too. It's supply and demand. Cash is not king as some dealers have subsidized finance programs established and get points on deals or get points on prime+ rates if the consumer isn't savvy. The days of cash is king are gone at big shops. The little used car dealer that can work sometimes but only with the shady ones trying to side step uncle sam. My advice is buy the most powerful machine you can afford and add accessories later on. 350lbs is a lot to haul around I'd recommend an 850-1000, but a 570 is a great bargain and with the V-Twin it's got a lot more power than the competition. I know my wife MADE me buy a Sportsman 570 when I told her an Outlander 570 was the way to go.
I was pre approved on financing, but im not happy with the rate, and to be honest after having a few weeks to think about it, id rather pay cash for something im driving through a mud hole etc.
I am not planning to tell them im paying cash until we agree on a price. If they try to change the price on me because of cash, then I dont want to work with them anyway. I can live with retail. Honestly if i only had to pay retail plus tax id be a happy man. The freight charge and processing fees are ridiculous. I had a polaris/suzuki dealer tell me out the door price on a sportsman 570 was over 10k on an 8k bike.

I got around well enough on a 28 horspower polaris trail boss (the old 2 stroke from the 90s) So i think the 570 will manage. Tbh had 1000 money, id be looking at a maverick trail. (maybe next year).
Im just trying to get out there. I just want to make sure I have a machine that wont let me down.

·
Registered
383 Posts
10k for a sportsman 570 is insane. The dealer i work with never charges delivery/destination fees. I do have to pay retail plus taxes though. Can Am's especially the top end models are in high demand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
10k for a sportsman 570 is insane. The dealer i work with never charges delivery/destination fees. I do have to pay retail plus taxes though. Can Am's especially the top end models are in high demand.
I am not planning to work with that dealer. Im planning a trip down to busco beach in NC for break in (planning to take it easy) Im investigating dealerships all along the way. It wouldnt be anything for me to stop by and pick it up on the way down.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts