Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear end started to make noise which i see is common on newer can ams.
mine is a 2012 1000. So i ordered a new rear end already built. Put it in . everything seems to be fine but seems like there is a louder than normal humming noise coming from rear end seems like. Mainly on accel. Is there a certain way you have to clock the rear propshaft?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Some people have had differentials break bc they were out of phase while other had the pinion seals issues.....did you do the install or the dealer? If it's the dealer I'd take it back to them...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Your universal joints/yokes on same shaft should line up with each other. If one yoke is horizontal the other must be also. If they are opposite there will be balance issues and you'll trash the seal in short order.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I believe even a bit out of phase can cause issues so check very carefully that the yokes truely are lined up exactly the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No i did the work myself. I bought the online manual and followed it. I didnt see anything saying if the prop shaft had to be aligned in a certain way. I marked it coming out of the trans because i had to do a trans seal. But did not mark it when i took the old rear end out. I will check the yokes tonight .

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
That]s weird that the manual does not mention it. But google driveshaft phasing and you'll see how important it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought the shaft phasing was only an issue if you have pulled the drive shaft apart, eg pulled the ends off it. If you have used the same shaft and simply bolted it onto the end of the diff how could the phase be any different?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought the shaft phasing was only an issue if you have pulled the drive shaft apart, eg pulled the ends off it. If you have used the same shaft and simply bolted it onto the end of the diff how could the phase be any different?

Thats what i thought too. I did not take the driveshaft yokes apart. I glanced at it yesterday and what i could tell the yoke that goes into the trans and the yoke that goes into the rear end or the same way. Im going lift the bike and pinpoint the noise better. Is it possible that i may have got a defective rearend ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After looking at things very close and finally i decided to tear my bike apart again . Drained the rear diff oil and found that it was full of metal. Lot of metalic. SO basically i got a bad unit from start. How do i go about getting this taken care of. Do they have a department at can am that i can call? Im not very happy that i paid 700 bucks for a brand new bad unit. I bought it from a place on ebay thats a dealer . SHould i contact him first ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 2014 xmr 1000 and it had metal sparkle to the oil every time I changed it, up until it broke off some teeth at around 1000 miles. I had it rebuild by mudnwheels to his specs for around the same price as a new one. He said it is a known issue with these things and shouldn't be an issue with the ones he builds. I believe they are called the torque series. Just got it back yesterday so no run time yet, but spinning it is much quieter than a stock one. We'll see. My front diff broke last year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts