Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been encountering a lot of threads on the maint message topic. I accidentally stumbled upon this. Is this THE maintenance message? Anyone seen a maint message on their 2016?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
I thought it was 100 hours for first service on the 2016.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That it may be but looks like canam might have done away with the maint message which up until this point, as I understand, had to be reset by the dealer with BUDS.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My 50 hr service msg just came on my 2015 800 xmr. So another trip to dealer for msg delete after I service er again. ALL My fluids are so clean looking though. Grrrrrr

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone ellse...2016 and up models? Any service message yet?

2016 Can Am Outlander 1000R MAX Limited Edition "Cognac Colour" .!.!.Can Am Yoshimura Slip-On, HMF Optimizer,30mm Wheel Spacers, BRP Heated Grip & Throttle Combo, BRP 124l Trunk Box, TwinAir Filter, EVANS Cooling, DP Brakes

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nope, almost 100 hrs, no message. running friggen awesome.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I checked my 2017 Outlander user's manual on page 178 and found this list of multi-function gage displayed messages:

BAD KEY
DESS KEY NOT RECOGNIZED
PARK BRAKE
LO BATT VOLT
HI BATT VOLT
LOW OIL
HIGH TEMP
LIMP HOME
CHECK ENGINE
ECM NOT RECOGNIZED
CHECK DPS
ACS FAULT
MAINTENANCE REQUIRED
TPS FAULT PRESS OVERRIDE TO LIMP HOME

The manual goes on to say you can cancel the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED message by pressing SET and hold it down, then quickly switch lights between low and high beam three times. Then release SET button.

This instruction implies the MAINTENANCE REQUIRED message is still in the multi-function gage system. The manual does not say at what hours or distance the message is displayed. I assume it is 500km or 50 hours, whichever comes first, as stated on page 127 of the manual.

At least there is a routine to cancel the message if you have already done what is prescribed. I shall see if this message pops up on my new Can Am at 50 hours.

David

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ive got 2400km and about 200hr and its a 2016 renegade, and I have yet to have a service message, so mabe its true.
Im curious what will happen at 3k...since the book says first oil change at 3k...im deff gonna change my before that mark..probably at 1k... i wanna keep my engine clean from aluminium debrees...

2016 Can Am Outlander 1000R MAX Limited Edition "Cognac Colour" .!.!.Can Am Yoshimura Slip-On, HMF Optimizer,30mm Wheel Spacers, BRP Heated Grip & Throttle Combo, BRP 124l Trunk Box, TwinAir Filter, EVANS Cooling, DP Brakes

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know on mine it was full of breakin oil, as it fomed like crazy, I I did my first oil change at 20hr, and again at 100 and 200 hr, no metal the last two oil changes but that first on was full, so mabe not wait to long

·
Registered
894 Posts
rene1kr: Did you have a particle count done on your oil, or was the particles visible with the naked eye?

I like your recommendation of an oil change at about 20 hours. I plan on doing the same. Oil is cheap compared to engine damage.

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dbj216; on the first oil change you could definitely see the metal, the drain plug was full and the oil was really shiny and brown but this is normal during break in,

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm surprised there are visible metal particles in the oil. I would expect the filter to capture the vast majority of these, unless the filter is bypassing for some reason. I don't like the idea of pumping contaminated oil through the journal bearings.

You've got me thinking I might change the break in oil earlier than 20 hours. My diesel pickup was emphatic that the break in oil NOT be changed until the prescribed mileage. I understand the break in oil had special additives in it.

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
The oil isnt so much bypassing the filter more like it haddent reached it yet, most of it is kept in the pan by the magnet on the plug, the brownish color is from the zinc phosphate they use to break in the solid lifters, and contains metal as a lubricant which is great for replacing wear but also tends to retain some metal in the oil

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks for your insight. Maybe the zinc phosphate is what gives the oil the appearance of significant contamination. Maybe Can Am wants the break in oil in the engine longer that I am planning on. Their guidance is not real clear to me.

David

·
Registered
179 Posts
First oil change at 350 hours. Nothing on the drain plug and was clean oil. Have to grease all the fittings but I have to replace my air gun as it quit. Engine runs great but I do notice the engine is lean as it came from the factory. I have to let it warm up in cold weather, less than 40, or it sputters on take off. Great machine from the dunes to the mountains to desert.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
First oil change at 350 hours. Nothing on the drain plug and was clean oil. Have to grease all the fittings but I have to replace my air gun as it quit. Engine runs great but I do notice the engine is lean as it came from the factory. I have to let it warm up in cold weather, less than 40, or it sputters on take off. Great machine from the dunes to the mountains to desert.
I hope that's a mistype bc that's not good if you haven't changed your oil before 350 hours.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts