Can-Am ATV Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your insight. Maybe the zinc phosphate is what gives the oil the appearance of significant contamination. Maybe Can Am wants the break in oil in the engine longer that I am planning on. Their guidance is not real clear to me.

David
here's the breakin info for my renegade, I imagine they are all the same. It said 10hr I did it when it had 20hr because the dealer told me to push it alittle.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did my first oil change on my 2016 1000r outlander limited yesterday at 2300km...service manual says first engine oil and gearbox oil change at 3000....i did it couple hundred km before....

Engine oil was clean like a babys ass...but...gearbox was full metalic colour...drain plug was filled with metalic debree...

I still have to change diff fluids tomorrow and im done for another 3k...

I didnt get any messages for maintenance and i have 67hrs now...

I gotta say...my gearbox is smooth as fck now after oil change...shifting is sooo easy and soft...and there is almost zero noise from transmision now...

Poslano z mojega SM-G928F z uporabo Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi Outlanderltd cognac: You remind me I need to get my break in fluids drained and new fluids in the machine. If I'm running the gearbox with fluid full of metal particulate I wouldn't be happy.

David

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for your insight. Maybe the zinc phosphate is what gives the oil the appearance of significant contamination. Maybe Can Am wants the break in oil in the engine longer that I am planning on. Their guidance is not real clear to me.

David
here's the breakin info for my renegade, I imagine they are all the same. It said 10hr I did it when it had 20hr because the dealer told me to push it alittle.
Very confused on first maintenance for my 2017 outlander 650. I see this page in the manual but it doesn't state to change any fluids it only lists a guide of what to avoid for a proper break in of the motor and belt. If you check the maintenance schedule it doesn't list any fluid change until 2,000 or 100hrs trail riding not dusty, and 1,000or 50 hrs severe conditions (dust or deep mud). I have no intention on waiting this long I was thinking of doing a complete fluid change @ 20 hrs, but I'm just looking for clarification. I have seen a lot of talk about this 10 hr service and was wondering on older models was this stated in your owners manual or just a general practice. I have not read my manual cover to cover, but I have checked the areas where I would expect the information to be located and have not found any other special instructions. I also read a buliten on a different site saying starting in 2016 BRP has made changes to their off road vehicle maintenance schedule which will help reduce cost of ownership. I guess I might have call BRP direct and ask this question just wondering what the forum had to say.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hi Jrs: I have 11 hours on my new Outlander. I have been riding it pretty easy for this time. You are right, the user's manual says change fluids at 50 hours under "severe" conditions which I believe is "normal" ATV operation. We don't ride on hard surface highways very much. We ride on dirt trails.

I have read new owners who disregard the break in instructions and have had very good performance from their machines. Others have changed fluids at 10 hours and reported metallic particles in the oils. I think we are safe if we follow the Can Am maintenance schedule or better. I plan on changing fluids pretty soon as it can't hurt.

David

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was asking myself the question and found the answer from this post.

My 2016 Outlander Max 850 XT has almost 6,000 km and never got the message.
I can now rest in peace and ride !!
Luc
Canada

21 - 26 of 26 Posts