Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Marysvale, Utah

5114 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  dustman40
Man what great trails in Utah......this is the best I've ever experienced. Rode 240 miles in 4 days...just great. Google ....Utah ATV... for all the scoop.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trail and Bike Review.....

Day 1

Flew to Salt Lake and drove to Fillmore, Utah. Small town that allows you to ride your ATV on the highway to get form point A to B….very nice ..fun feature! Rented a Honda Rancher, as that was all I could find. As most know, it’s a bike that will take a bullet, but not built for comfort. After 56 miles my rear said it was time to turn it in. The trails in this area are good …but could be marked a bit more often. The trails are marked form easy to difficult on maps.

Day 2

Drove to Duck Creek rented a Polaris Sportsman 500….what a plush ride and light handling. This will be my next bike to replace my wife’s Rancher. I’m not sure how they do it, but Polaris has the plush ride and handling down pat on this particular bike. Though it weighs over 700 lbs, its balanced well. After 70 miles I could have rode much more….just a nice ride indeed. Nice trails with great views with verygood markings

Day 3

Drove to Marysvale rented an Outlander 400…after the Sportsman it seemed a bit rough and heavy. I really put the bike through its paces and it performed well in all cases. A bit of refining on the ride and heavy handling would be wonderful. The Visco system didn’t hinder my ride at all. The gentleman who rented me the bike has two 400’s with over 4,000 miles each with no mechanical problems…and we know people who rent don’t exactly treat these bikes with care. This area will also allow you to ride your ATV on the highway in town. 80 miles

Day 4

Still in Marysvale rented a Yamaha Grizzly 350 with IRS. OK bike….better ride comfort than the Rancher but not much. The bike performed steadily without fail….just no bells and whistles. Of all the areas I’ve rode Marysvale, Utah is the BEST....just breath taking views form the trails. Now back home to reality!!:dan:

If I were going to rate the bikes overall for long trails rides it would be:

1 = Polaris Sportsman 500….what can I say…. just pure comfort

2 = Outlander 400….good bike…a bit of a bear to handle on long ride

3 = Yamaha Grizzly 350…. Just Ok ride... but nothing extra

4 = Honda Rancher….Pure UTILITY

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steering seemed about the same....I believe the tires needed air on the 400, but since it was a one day rental I didn't bother. I felt the ride qualitywas very similiar between the 400 and 800. What is your perspective on these rides?I sure missed the 800 umph:aniwh:...... It would be hard to go back.....:dan:

· Registered
1,510 Posts
Man what great trails in Utah......this is the best I've ever experienced. Rode 240 miles in 4 days...just great. Google ....Utah ATV... for all the scoop.
You must have sleep in late to only get 240 miles. I had 260 in 3 days and I quite early. That was after the Richfield Jamboree this year. The Jamboree is the 3 week of September. I have not gone on it but the best ride is the Mountain man. You take your tent, and sleeping bag one days fuel and one days grub and ride till Friday. You restock every day at some town and then move on. The best ride of a life time would be to get a small group with tent, sleeping bag and leave Richfield and do the Paiute trail 01 for as long you you can set in the seat. you go into a town every day for food and gas and move on. Some get a motel once in a while to get a shower. ALL towns in the area are ATV friendly. There is every type of riding you could want. Take any side trails that strikes your fancy. A 1000 mile trip would be a short ride. And the cost would be as cheap as you want it to be.

· Registered
185 Posts
You must have sleep in late to only get 240 miles. I had 260 in 3 days and I quite early. That was after the Richfield Jamboree this year. The Jamboree is the 3 week of September. I have not gone on it but the best ride is the Mountain man. You take your tent, and sleeping bag one days fuel and one days grub and ride till Friday. You restock every day at some town and then move on. The best ride of a life time would be to get a small group with tent, sleeping bag and leave Richfield and do the Paiute trail 01 for as long you you can set in the seat. you go into a town every day for food and gas and move on. Some get a motel once in a while to get a shower. ALL towns in the area are ATV friendly. There is every type of riding you could want. Take any side trails that strikes your fancy. A 1000 mile trip would be a short ride. And the cost would be as cheap as you want it to be.
I second that vote. Marysvale is a great place to ride. I was at the www.utvjam.com ( quads welcome )for the past two years and that whole area has a lot of history from the gold mine days. Lots of mountain trails that could take weeks to hit all of them. The accomidations are great for camping, cabins, and RV spaces. Hoover Restaurant is the BOMB!!! All you can eat crab legs Fri and Sat. Over all one of the best ATV vacation you could do.

· Premium Member
9,462 Posts
I think all further reviews of South Central and Southern Utah should be negative. We need to keep this area to ourselves. ;) I hear Illinois has great trails. Let's here from them....
Good one.:thumbsmilie:

But the problem is the whole frikkin state is, ATV a-go-go.

The entire trail #1 loop, has been done in under 12 hours, on a dirtbike. Probably not very enjoyable, cause he had to be flyin all the way. Heard he really pissed some people off and was asked not to come back, by the ranger.

I've been there 5 times and have probably only done a tenth of the Paiute system.:smilietwocents:

· Registered
42 Posts
My wife and I have ridden the Paiute 5 times. 3 of those we have ridden from town to town, staying in motels. The last time we had 16 wheelers and riders in our group.

We unload in Richfield and spend the night.

Day 1. Ride to Marysvale and spend the night at Weber's. We get there early enough to take the gear off the wheelers and go out and play on the local trails.

Day 2. Ride to Circleville. This takes us over the Tushars, great scenery up there. The switchbacks going into Circleville are fun. Spend the night at Butch Cassidy's Hideout. Make sure to have breakfast at the restaurant, it's great.

Day 3. Ride to Koosharem. You get to see everything on this ride, from desert to high mountains. 120 miles if you take the right trails. Absolutely beautiful and soooo much fun.

Day 4. Ride back to Richfield. You HAVE to do trail 66. The best trail in Utah. You will NOT get in a hurry on this one, if you do you die.

Day 5. Ride to Fillmore. We take the south side of the triangle. Good mountain riding, good scenery and a lot of fun.

Day 6. Ride back to Richfield. We take the north side of the triangle, the best scenery of the week. Awesome views. It is always a bittersweet day, great trails and scenery but I know it is the last day. I hate leaving Utah.

Somewhere, I have a video of me riding my wheeler through the McDonalds drive thru in Richfield. We had a lot of fun with that.

We have also stayed at Big Rock Candy Mountain for the week and rode from there. We got familiar with the trails around Marysvale and had a great time. The town to town ride is the best. You get to see a lot more and get more miles.

We are going back to Utah this year and will be staying in Hatch. This is farther south but looks like good, and new to us, trails. We will be riding Paunsagunt, Markagunt trails, Casto Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Coral Pink Dunes, Freemont, and whatever else we can find. It looks like we can ride all of these trails from Hatch and never have to trailer, but some of those days we will get a lot of miles. We like miles.

· Premium Member
9,462 Posts
The dunes are farther away than what it appears, you may have to trailer there or do an overnighter on the trails. Next time we go We'll have pretty much the same Itinerary. Casto canyon is way cool. You have several return routes back to the trail head, plan ahead or have some good lighting on your lead bike.:aniwheeler6:

· Premium Member
9,462 Posts
In between Kanab and the dunes is that "best friends" dog place that used to have a tv series, it's worth the sidetrip if you have time, and are into dogs.:smilietwocents:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.