Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace the belt on my Outlander 1000 and last time I looked into it folks were saying the Maverick belt was a good choice but this was about a year or more ago. Many thoughts? Many thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Gates carbon fiber belt. They say its as good as the Maverick belt at about 1/2 the price. I'm very happy with it ... I think the part # was 30c375.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just bought mav belt, may try gates belt time around, hopefully that's not anytime soon

·
Registered
134 Posts
so this is an on going discussion on belts lol so here my thoughts .... after trying countless belts on a high horsepower machines that i run with big mud tires i have found the standard can am belt that comes on outlanders and renegades is the best belt you can buy (for an atv) the maverick belt its by far the strongest belt but with that being said..... the maverick belts has almost next to no stretch and is very hard on parts such as diffs, trannys, and even crank shaft bearings... i have been pushing saying mavericks belts are the best belts and you should buy a maverick belt and nothing else but i've came to the conclusion that is wrong.... The Mav belt is heavy duty and people have been having good luck with it. But…because it has no stretch it shock loads components. On a heavy sxs it’s less noticeable but on an ATV that shock load over and over and over every time the belt engages is eventually going to wear on things. Diffs. Tranny, crank bearings you catch my drift other peiople will say other things but i have buddies with bikes running 120 RWHP on NOS on the mud bikes with 30 inch tires and have never broke a belt or even smoked a belt before my bike runs probably 95 RWHP after a shot of NOS and im the same way i ride in the deepest skeg and mud and i have never broke or smoked a belt either and thats with stock can am belts.... just my little input

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well that makes me think a bit about my purchase haven't installed belt yet maybe I'll return it and go to stock...

·
Registered
119 Posts
My stock maverick belt had 1500 miles (still looked good) on it when I replaced it with a gates kevlar. With the same riding conditions, I smelled belt every time I was in high gear. Replaced it with a Gates Carbon, no more high gear smell but I lost a little on the top end.

I plan to change back to a stock belt before my wv trip in May. I keep the original belt in my survival kit as a backup.

·
Registered
570 Posts
so this is an on going discussion on belts lol so here my thoughts .... after trying countless belts on a high horsepower machines that i run with big mud tires i have found the standard can am belt that comes on outlanders and renegades is the best belt you can buy (for an atv) the maverick belt its by far the strongest belt but with that being said..... the maverick belts has almost next to no stretch and is very hard on parts such as diffs, trannys, and even crank shaft bearings... i have been pushing saying mavericks belts are the best belts and you should buy a maverick belt and nothing else but i've came to the conclusion that is wrong.... The Mav belt is heavy duty and people have been having good luck with it. But…because it has no stretch it shock loads components. On a heavy sxs it’s less noticeable but on an ATV that shock load over and over and over every time the belt engages is eventually going to wear on things. Diffs. Tranny, crank bearings you catch my drift other peiople will say other things but i have buddies with bikes running 120 RWHP on NOS on the mud bikes with 30 inch tires and have never broke a belt or even smoked a belt before my bike runs probably 95 RWHP after a shot of NOS and im the same way i ride in the deepest skeg and mud and i have never broke or smoked a belt either and thats with stock can am belts.... just my little input
So you're saying that the stock Renegade/Outlander belt stretches a little and absorbs drive line shock?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any thoughts on the Dayco XTX? I just pulled one off a Polaris 850 after 2000 miles and it seemed to be in decent shape but I'm also curious about the Gates Carbon. I have 2000 miles on my stock belt on the 1000 but for some reason feel compelled to swap it before a Hatfield McCoy trip in April.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Any thoughts on the Dayco XTX? I just pulled one off a Polaris 850 after 2000 miles and it seemed to be in decent shape but I'm also curious about the Gates Carbon. I have 2000 miles on my stock belt on the 1000 but for some reason feel compelled to swap it before a Hatfield McCoy trip in April.

I've been running the Dayco XTX for 600 hard mud miles on 29.5 ol2 with stock clutches with very good luck. I can't complain one bit. On the other hand, there have been many others with nothing with bad to say. Maybe I just got lucky with mine? Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
This morning I went to my can am dealer to get a spare belt for my 2014 Outlander 800xt and he gave me the option for a "heavy-duty" belt that they used on the MXR's. so I took it...my question is the belts for the MXR's and mavericks the same?

·
Registered
570 Posts
This morning I went to my can am dealer to get a spare belt for my 2014 Outlander 800xt and he gave me the option for a "heavy-duty" belt that they used on the MXR's. so I took it...my question is the belts for the MXR's and mavericks the same?
It looks like the X MR's use the same belt at the Outlander, PN 715000302

And the Maverick uses PN 715900212.

What belt did they sell you, and how much? Looks like good prices on Amazon.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Maverick belt, let us know how it works.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Will do... how crucial is the break in period for the belts? Like should I follow the no full speed for 30 miles and so on?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I guess I don't have any thoughts on the belt break-in. It sounds like a good idea, I guess I'd take it easy for 30 miles if it were me. 30 miles will go quick.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Will do... how crucial is the break in period for the belts? Like should I follow the no full speed for 30 miles and so on?

Definitely take it easy on the belt for the first 30 miles or so. By taking it easy I mean ride normally (a thing is canam guys tend to fail at doing pretty often lol). Just don't romp on it from the get go. "Breaking in" the belt mostly consists of allowing time for the fibers of the belt to smooth themselves out while the belt goes through a few heat cycles. Doing this will increase the longevity of your belt by a good bit.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Another thing I would do is make sure you clean your clutches really well before throwing your new belt on there. Blow everything out and clean the sheaves with break cleaner and a skotch brite pad. Rough the sheaves up so that there is no residue from the old belt. Make sure to scrub from the innermost part of the sheaves towards the outermost edge and not around the sheave.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So you're saying that the stock Renegade/Outlander belt stretches a little and absorbs drive line shock?
yep thats exactly what im saying

1 - 19 of 19 Posts