Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I rode my new 2014 Renegade 1000 375 miles from Mesquite, NV down to Lake Meade and back, then up to Caliente and back the next day as a shakedown to my Baja trip in two weeks. I needed to make sure of the milage I could expect with the machine - 101 miles before I ran out on the main tank then I could go around 75 more miles on the 4 gallon Rotopax can. I also needed to make sure that the rack I built for the rear would work as planned. I just copied the rear rack off my Grizzly with different mounting points. It worked great. Now I have to pare down how much gear I'm going to put in the pack - It was stuffed but didn't have the clothes I will need for Mexico for a week. The GPS mount I made also worked great - I was worried that the GPS might want to bounce off the clip-on mount but it held fine. I couldn't find anyone to ride with me on the Mesquite trip at short notice so I rode by myself the whole way - I saw two people in 340 miles - it is pretty desolate out there but beautiful and I had a blast. This was my first mountain/desert trip with he Renegade and it works great - plenty of power for that. I did ride it in Dumont Dunes over Christmas and it worked good in the lower elevation dunes with just knobbies but I am not sure how it will work at St Anthony's 5000 ft elevation with just knobbies. I will probably put some paddles on it for the dunes but I want it to be able to climb the steepest stuff without problems so I may have to hop it up a little for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day one out to Lake Meade and back was 9:30 for 150 miles with 30 minutes talking to the one guy I saw on horseback, taking lots of pictures and going for a hike in the Falling Man petroglyph area. Day two was 9:00 for 190 miles including 45 minutes for lunch at the burger place in Caliente and also taking lots of pictures. Day three was a quick 1:30 ride around the Logandale trail loop also taking pictures.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Nice scenery. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts