Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I know it's not... Belt side heat shield, heatshield between front header pipe and PS unit, I torqued the headpipe bolts also. I checked all the bolts in the front end(Diff, arms, winch). I also rechecked the heatshield artound the rear exhaust just to make sure.

I took all the plastics off, ran around the house, stuck a long screwdriver on everything I could touch to try to isolate the problem but I cant find it.

Between 2000 and 4000rpms, it sounds like a loose heatshield, metallic rattling sound, comes from the front of the ATV. Quiet at idle and once I hit 30-35mph, it's gone.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Have you installed the BRP snorkel kit lately by any chance?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Lifter not torqued down?

·
Registered
425 Posts
you don't have a rock stuck on top of the skid plates?
I remember the first time I found a rock under there. I bet it was driving me mad for 2 weeks. It's the first place I check now :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finished removing all the heat shields to make sure, one was bend pretty bad but not touching anyting. Still there, got the ATV up on ramps to remove skidplates tomorrow... watching the Habs take care of Boston right now ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FOUND IT!!!!!

Now that I know what it is, i'm kicking myself for not figuring this one out sooner.

The 4 springs holding the front pipe to the mid section, 2 of them where vibrating/buzzing by hitting the junction area slightly at certain rpms.

I will be bending the spring a little so they sit a couple millimeters away from the junction(where it slips one into the other) and it should be ok. If I can find some leftover heat wrap I had, I may individually wrap the springs too to help further.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
FOUND IT!!!!!

Now that I know what it is, i'm kicking myself for not figuring this one out sooner.

The 4 springs holding the front pipe to the mid section, 2 of them where vibrating/buzzing by hitting the junction area slightly at certain rpms.

I will be bending the spring a little so they sit a couple millimeters away from the junction(where it slips one into the other) and it should be ok. If I can find some leftover heat wrap I had, I may individually wrap the springs too to help further.

A little hi-temp RTV smeared on the springs ( while they're installed ) will do the trick without bending stuff.

·
Registered
425 Posts
A little hi-temp RTV smeared on the springs ( while they're installed ) will do the trick without bending stuff.
Awesome idea, I may have some in the toolbox somewhere.
If for some weird reason the RTV doesnt work out for you, the alternative (which I use) is to tie the springs together with a hose clamp wrapping from top to bottom side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts