Can-Am ATV Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
The cam should have no effect but the other highlighted quote might.

As mentioned by others above maybe mud from his racing did get inside, I would expect if it did the timing would be the least of the issues.

I assume (probably incorrectly) that those who choose to run a machine in mud would make attempts to filter any access mud would have to get in. There are always limits to what is possible but if you know you might have ingested mud I would hope you try and flush it out. Then looking at some of the used/ abused machines I have seen many wont and the next owner as always can pay that price.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have to agree with tozguy the Japanese quads do not require as much attention as these Can-Ams. I ride everyday and I ride hard I ride back roads logging roads and sometimes on the highway so I'm running 45 to 65 MPH continuously 15 to 20 miles a stretch my 2001 400 ex still running good and I used to try to blow it up my yfz 450 same thing. now I have two outlanders love the power of the 800 but there is always something going wrong with one of them I think a lot reasons is the heat 650 get so hot can't even ride not very far anyway ok so get ECU flashed for $500 .soon as I get the timing chains replaced on 800 the 650 is finding new home going to try and find 450r or kfx 700 . I love to ride not working on them

·
Registered
2021 Outlander 850 max XT-P
832 Posts
my 2001 400 ex still running good and I used to try to blow it up my yfz 450 same thing. now I have two outlanders love the power of the 800 but there is always something going wrong with one of them I think a lot reasons is the heat 650 get so hot can't even ride not very far anyway ok so get ECU flashed for $500 .soon as I get the timing chains replaced on 800 the 650 is finding new home going to try and find 450r or kfx 700 . I love to ride not working on them
I too have a 2002 400ex that still runs like a top after years of AMA moto-X. Those are the simplest of power plants.

I hear people comment all the time about the maintenance but it's like comparing apples and asparagus IMHO. The Outlander is in a completely different class, I can plow, haul fire wood or other cargo, put the wife on the back and take an evening stroll or rip through the woods in such a fashion that the best A class rider would have a tough time keeping up over distance 😀 👍.

When comparing bikes of the same class BRP takes the cake. I think the part that is often missed is the intimacy (yes I said it) with the machine. We expect a lot out of these bikes, and we should considering the cost. In return we need to know the bike outside the start and stop button. Wear is to be expected based on your use. Maintenance is just part of the sport. The more attention is paid the better the chances of catching a problem before it becomes a catastrophe. I know this is asking a lot but it's just the way it is.

Sorry for the rant.... I just think these bikes do a good job when all things are considered. I'd still love to hear how that KXF works out. They are nice but still in another class.

You won't have a problem selling either one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was riding my 2006 800 max and it shut down on me smell of oil like maybe it was hot but shouldn't have been tried to start wouldn't let sit for few minutes and it started sounds like something is rattling around in the motor hardly had any power made it the 1/4 mile back to house it will start and idle I haven't reved it up and haven't let it run very long it has 8300 miles and 495 hours had it almost a year runs like a new one but something is rattling around in the motor I'm getting ready to tear into it just wondering if any one might have an idea the problem
I’d start with pulling the spark plugs and get a scope camera and look at the top of the pistons and the cylinder walls, next I’d pull exhaust port off and check piston skirt and ring movement could have a bad ring or possibly a blown piston at best case if it’s not pouring white smoke out the exhaust when running I’d say one of those options, if you come up with nothing there then start the tear down down, hope it isn’t to bad for ya

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Upload to you tube and post link here.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• Helpful
Reactions: BombardierBomb
21 - 28 of 28 Posts