Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Millsfield, NH (Windmills)

7411 Views 31 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  outtyhere
My son and I rode the trails in Millsfield, NH yesterday and really enjoyed them. Because I was not familiar with what's available for hotels/motels in Errol, we stayed in Gorham Thursday night and drove up Friday morning. It took about 45 mins from Gorham. We went up Rt. 16, turned west on Rt. 26 in Errol and then parked in the parking area on Signal Mountain Rd.

I did see signs showing that ATV's are allowed on some of the streets of Errol.

The trails were well kept which made for a comfortable ride in most areas of the park. We didn't find much mud though we thought we would after the heavy rain a couple of days earlier. A couple of the trails were rocky so once again, I was happy to have skid plates on my two quads.

Once we got up by the windmills, we were so glad we went. What a view! The photo I'll post does no justice at all with how the view was from up there. I was using my cellphone camera. We were a little surprised to see some of the leaves were already starting to turn color though it is also difficult to see that in my cellphone photos.

From what I understand, you can get to the park from parking areas in Dummer and Dixville. I think other areas too but it was our first time so we kept it simple in launching close by.

We had cellphone service up at the windmills but lost it often in lower areas in the park.

If there are bathrooms in the park, we did not see them. There were cabins down by a lake that I don't know if they were all owned or if they can be rented. Campsites in the park?...not sure.

My son, Donnie.

View from up near the top by the windmills. It looks so much more incredible in person.

You can't ride your ATV's up underneath the windmills but you can walk in there. Warning signs are posted for winter riding because they say ice can come falling from blades.

Figured I'd include a photo showing I actually made it. lol

See less
Reactions: mtassie
My son and I rode the trails in Millsfield, NH yesterday and really enjoyed them. Because I was not familiar with what's available for hotels/motels in Errol, we stayed in Gorham Thursday night and drove up Friday morning. It took about 45 mins from Gorham. We went up Rt. 16, turned west on Rt. 26 in Errol and then parked in the parking area on Signal Mountain Rd.

I did see signs showing that ATV's are allowed on some of the streets of Errol.

The trails were well kept which made for a...
See more
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sharing this post from Facebook:

NH ATV CLUB shared Great North Woods Riders ATV Club's post.
September 13 at 10:25am ·

Great North Woods Riders ATV Club
This is your Trail Administrator. As all of you Facebook friends know, last weekend was our worst ever in terms of rogue riders violating basically every rule, law, and common courtesy in existence. I also happen to work for our major landowner (8000 acres), without whose support our trail system would not exist. We are very close to losing it all right now. I know I (as well as a lot of other good people) have worked too hard over the past fourteen years creating these trails to lose it because of a few a**holes who can't follow the rules. I realize that I'm preaching to the choir, and that type of rider probably can't read anyway, but the things that are happening must end now. We will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law and ban these outlaws from the property, but we have to catch them first. PLEASE report any violation to law enforcement, a club official, this Facebook page, whatever. Get registrations, descriptions, photos. We have to end this now, or our trails will be gone. Thank you.

· Registered
875 Posts
Some guy said is it those CT group of guys, now when I go up there(never been) I'm going to have a complex. It could be a bunch of locals.

· Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Trail Report:

My brother and I rode Millsfield and Dixville on Saturday. We only rode from around 11 to 3 before hitting the road to get home.

Went up to the windmill that everyone rides up to and was surprised to see that they dropped the gates further down the road. You can't get up to that great viewing area like before. The view from where the gate is now isn't bad but not as good in my opinion.

If you know where the new, steep trail comes up from the direction of the Balsams, the new gate is right where that trail connects to the dirt road so you're still almost to the top, just not as far as allowed before.

Very little mud on the trails due to the lack of rain. I guess that's all suppose to change with a lot of rain in the forecast for this week starting Tuesday.

Color: there were some reds (on oaks, right?) but mostly things were still green.

· Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Photo (taken by my brother) shows limited color this past weekend. The reds I've mentioned were much more obvious than this photo shows.

Millsfield trails looking north.

· Registered
1,528 Posts
Did this place ever close? Is it busier now ? Have all the rule breakers stopped causing problems?
Looks like a nice place to visit

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.