Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I own a 13' outty 500 xt... I currently have a snorkel kit and highlifter rad kit... I'm looking to make my quad ready to go serious mudding... I ride pretty hard in the mud and ride about 60:40 mud:trail... Im looking into the 28" mega mayhems on 14" sti hd3 rims... To help regain some power loss im getting a qsc primary clutch kit. Also, im getting a highlifter sginiture series 3" lift kit. Any opinions on what im getting? Do you think i'll loose a lot of power from the tires, and what do you guys think of the mega mayhems against the maxxis zillas? Thanks

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I think you will do fine with either tire. I run 28" Zillas on my Grizzly. A friend of mine that I ride with has 28" Mega Mayhems on his Arctic Cat 550 TRV. The Mayhems are a little heavier than the Zillas, but they also have a little taller lug. I would have to say there is very little if any difference in mud performance - marginally favoring the Mayhems - maybe? I've never seen a hole that one of us made it thru that the other didn't. Both tires seem to be wearing very well, definitely better than my silverbacks on my XMR are! If you run a QSC with either, I doubt you will experience any loss in performance. You might actually gain a bit on the bottom end. Only problem with the QSC is they are on back order right now. Let us know what you decide on and post up some pictures after you get it all installed.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'd go with the mega mayhems. I have owned both and the megas wear much slower than zillas. I ride roads rather often and I have probably a hundred miles of road on my megas they still have some nipples on them. The zillas I had wore unevenly and cupped pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
Wouldn't you need longer axles with the 3'' lift? and I love my mega mayhems, and you defiantly don't need a full primary! Save yourself $600-800 and get a clutch kit, I pull wheelies in high gear with just a clutch kit and Mega Mayhems no problem.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I missed the "Kit" part in the OP. The QSC primary is on back order. I'm not sure about the kits. Sorry for any confusion I caused.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread, but I gotta ask - Since you enjoy mudding and seem quite prepared to heavily mod your ride, why didn't you get bigger than a 500 to begin with?? The extra power would make just as much difference as your performance mods - I'm not saying a 1000, but even the 650 or an 800 right from the get go.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
IMO a 500 with proper clutching to match big tires will do just as good if not better than a 800 or 1000 with stock clutching and big tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I partially agree with both of you. The 500 is a very capable machine. It is pushing the same HP (46) as my Grizzly 700. At the same time, my XMR can turn even bigger, heavier tires with ease. My XMR will walk right thru holes I wouldn't dream of taking my Grizzly, at least not in its current configuration anyway.

It wasn't all that many years ago that 46 hp was HUGE! I see guys with Honda 300's turning 29.5 laws and dropping into the really deep, really nasty holes and making it thru. Again, it is all in the reduced gearing. I'm sure those paddles they bolt onto the straight rear axle doesn't hurt either tho! LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man and i looked into the dalton clutch kit you had but they didnt have one to fit the gen 2 outlander 500... I'll give them a call though... And im not getting the lift its not worth the money...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really shouldve... I just didn't think id need the power that bad... I ride with my buddy who has the grizzly 700 so i thought it be a perfect match and this way i could buy aftermarket parts with the money from buying the smaller engine... But all kidding aside the 500 isn't a joke either... It has enough power for any rider of age or skill...

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Hey man and i looked into the dalton clutch kit you had but they didnt have one to fit the gen 2 outlander 500... I'll give them a call though... And im not getting the lift its not worth the money...
Ground clearance will help as much as the tires do in the mud. You just have to be careful with the CV angles or you will be breaking axles. I'm not sure how much the one you were looking at costs, but there are some out there that will give you 2-3 inches at a reasonable price. I the mean time, you can turn the preload adjustment up on your shocks. I gained about an inch of GC on my Grizzly doing that.

I think you've got the right idea with the 500. You're setting it up right. When you are done, it'll go anywhere the bigger displacement bikes will go!

·
Registered
381 Posts
do the mega mayhems and the clutch kit. If you want extra lift go with rubberdown customs spring spacers. The only reason i say get the clutch kit is because your bike will feel a lot more sluggish with those tires i have them on my 800 and it is slightly more sluggish then with the stock tires so i would rather have more power to the ground than i started with to run bigger tires

1 - 15 of 15 Posts