Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Moose Utility Division Gas Shocks

3731 Views 9 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  MA-NAC_RIDER
Hey all I was just wondering if anyone here has used the titled shocks before and how they felt about them. Not much out there about them in the way of reviews.

If I'm the first one to use them I'll make a review post lol.

I got mine from DennisKirk.com and admittedly were on the cheaper side. I've installed them but I haven't ridden yet because I'm waiting on some trailing arms from CFAB. Installation was easy, definitely seem better than the OEM version.

Anyways- if you've used them let me know what you think!

I ride a 2018 Outlander 570
Reactions: Dirty Red Neck
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
Well, you're right, not a lot of info on here about 'em

They do "read well" : stiffer springs, adjustable preload, etc.

The "base model" shocks don't review well around here at all, so it's entirely possible those will be an improvement for you, let us know!

Reactions: Dirty Red Neck

· Registered
'18 Outlander 570
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you're right, not a lot of info on here about 'em

They do "read well" : stiffer springs, adjustable preload, etc.

The "base model" shocks don't review well around here at all, so it's entirely possible those will be an improvement for you, let us know!
Right on. That's what I thought also. If I can get everything put together today when my trailing arms come in, I will write up a review of how they felt!

· Registered
'18 Outlander 570
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are those Moose shocks? I think a review would be interesting to a lot of people since nobody has that I'm aware of.
Thanks for following up on this.

I installed all my new parts and went out to Taylor Park, Colorado to do some riding. Both my rear axles popped out of the rear differential not very long into the ride. They easily popped back in but would soon come out after a short distance. I believe the culprit was the Moose Shocks. The shocks were the only component that I had cheaped out on with the entire suspension. I went ahead and bought stage 1 Elka Shocks to replace the rears in hopes that was the problem- After replacing the shocks and going for a test ride, the axles stayed in their place and the ride was smooth and wonderful.

Now, the ride the Moose shocks gave were a tight and durable feel. Definitely would be best suited for those who use their machines to do work on ranches, farms, etc. I can see them being great for plowing purposes or towing anything around a yard. Trail riding on these shocks would not be recommended. They were just too tight, I felt every bump/rock/pothole on the trail.

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
Both my rear axles popped out of the rear differential not very long into the ride.
That tells me the Moose shocks stroked longer than the factory ones. All things equal, the shock absorber is essentially the travel limiter, on a stock bike. The cv axles can plunge within the constraints of the stock shocks. But when longer shocks are fitted (or say, a bracket lift), the suspension travel can overrun the cv axles ability to stroke, and they pop out of the diff.

Reactions: hispeedpete

· Registered
'18 Outlander 570
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That tells me the Moose shocks stroked longer than the factory ones. All things equal, the shock absorber is essentially the travel limiter, on a stock bike. The cv axles can plunge within the constraints of the stock shocks. But when longer shocks are fitted (or say, a bracket lift), the suspension travel can overrun the cv axles ability to stroke, and they pop out of the diff.
Yeah exactly. Its only slightly but was enough to cause a little but too much travel. I thought I was going to have to purchase a new rear differential!

· Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for following up on this.

I installed all my new parts and went out to Taylor Park, Colorado to do some riding. Both my rear axles popped out of the rear differential not very long into the ride. They easily popped back in but would soon come out after a short distance. I believe the culprit was the Moose Shocks. The shocks were the only component that I had cheaped out on with the entire suspension. I went ahead and bought stage 1 Elka Shocks to replace the rears in hopes that was the problem- After replacing the shocks and going for a test ride, the axles stayed in their place and the ride was smooth and wonderful.

Now, the ride the Moose shocks gave were a tight and durable feel. Definitely would be best suited for those who use their machines to do work on ranches, farms, etc. I can see them being great for plowing purposes or towing anything around a yard. Trail riding on these shocks would not be recommended. They were just too tight, I felt every bump/rock/pothole on the trail.
Thanks for the update! As BombardierBom said, the limiters were off on those shocks. Very glad I found out before I bought some. I guess you gotta pay to play (ELKA). I have a 570 Outlander I use for plowing and put the G2 Snow plow springs on. They turned out to be longer, but I put them on anyway. I may as well just put in solid shafts because they only budge a little when the plow comes up. I was hoping to get something stiffer so I dont have to switch out the springs to ride. I'm still not sure what the answer is. The stock springs caused the nose to dive significantly, excess winching time, and broken synthetic rope. What I have works, but only for plowing. I guess if I got shocks with adjustment spanners, I could preload and unload them.

· Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
8,222 Posts
Just for the sake of mentioning it, there's always limit straps that'd keep your cv axles from leaving the diff. I see em all the time on the big lift bikes down here.

I suppose it's a bit of a meat-headed resolution, but if it works, is it really a dumb idea?

· Registered
'18 Outlander 570
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for the sake of mentioning it, there's always limit straps that'd keep your cv axles from leaving the diff. I see em all the time on the big lift bikes down here.

I suppose it's a bit of a meat-headed resolution, but if it works, is it really a dumb idea?
I def looked into getting the limiter straps, but decided that I would just bite the bullet and get the Elka Shocks. I do no regret that decision!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts