Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is really confusing trying to figure out upgrades....different companies give different info on what their product will/won't work with, and local dealers either don't know the answers, or worse, they just want to sell me as much of the most expensive stuff they can whether I need it or not. So, my questions is this.....If all I want to do is add stability and a little height/clearance with a small lift and slightly taller and wider tires (from 28" to 30", and 9" wide to 10" wide), and possible upgraded springs/shocks, do I need new 2" forward A-arms? Also, if I want to upgrade springs/shocks, will the lift and new A-arms (if needed) effect my choice in these? From what I've found, it seems like all the lifts, A-arms, and other suspension mods are really geared for 32" tires and larger.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Not sure what you are riding but just swaping tires from stock to a better tire will add stability. Im pretty sure you do not need to change a arms to fit 30's just a bit of a lift. Most machines will fit 29s easily.

Searching these forums will give you all the answers you need

·
Registered
31 Posts
You're talking about the dealership trying to 'sell you on all this most expensive parts then list thousands of dollars worth of upgrades. If you are doing the work yourself, this forum is a great reference tool for vendors and parts combinations that work and some that do not work. If you are having all the work done by a shop or dealership, I would recommend listening to the professionals you are entrusting with your machine. If what they tell you does not ring true, then find another shop until you find someone you will be comfortable with. Then let them do the job you ask to be done.
That being said, it helps to tell us what machine you are trying to get advice on. Lot easier for us to help out when we know a starting point. Jmho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're talking about the dealership trying to 'sell you on all this most expensive parts then list thousands of dollars worth of upgrades. If you are doing the work yourself, this forum is a great reference tool for vendors and parts combinations that work and some that do not work. If you are having all the work done by a shop or dealership, I would recommend listening to the professionals you are entrusting with your machine. If what they tell you does not ring true, then find another shop until you find someone you will be comfortable with. Then let them do the job you ask to be done.
That being said, it helps to tell us what machine you are trying to get advice on. Lot easier for us to help out when we know a starting point. Jmho.
Can Am Defender Pro Limited. And I did not "list thousands of dollars in parts", I was actually pretty clear on what I wanted to achieve, and asked the question if I actually need forward A-arms. My bad for not listing the details of my machine, sorry. Also sorry if I offended anyone with my point of view regarding local dealers.....I don't live in a hugely populated area, where there are multitudes of Can Am dealers, with a vast knowledge of parts and mods....we have one in town and the next closest one is two hours away. Neither is really knowledgeable regarding mods and upgrades. I thought I was pretty clear (maybe not though) regarding my frustration with not being able to determine what will and won't fit, hit, rub, etc. One basic example is that many companies will show fitment for all the Defender model variations....except mine! Another example would be parts shown to fit all Defender models through 2019, but mine is a 2022. Another example would be that I don't want 32" or larger tires, I want 30" tires, but every lift kit, A-arm kit, etc. is advertising that they will allow the use of 32" or larger tires......I have no idea what I need to change, if anything, for slightly wider 30" tires, and don't even ask me if I understand the whole backspacing thing with wheels, and how that changes the equation. So, yes, I am kinda frustrated, being new to this "hobby" and not being able to figure out how to do what I want to do, without throwing money down the toilet by taking the "purchase and hope" approach.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know it can be frustrating as many dealerships do not know alot about aftermarket mods. Have you reached out to any of the companies that produce the lift kits? They are often very knowledgeable and willing to take the time to walk you thru what you will need.
I'm sorry if my comment added to your frustration. That was not my intent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it can be frustrating as many dealerships do not know alot about aftermarket mods. Have you reached out to any of the companies that produce the lift kits? They are often very knowledgeable and willing to take the time to walk you thru what you will need.
I'm sorry if my comment added to your frustration. That was not my intent.
No worries.....I felt a little picked on there for a minute, but I'll get over it. I think my expectations were super unrealistic at first, and am just now realizing that my machine (Pro Limited HD10) is not a really common/popular machine, and I'm a rare duck in wanting to modify it at all. Your suggestion of contacting the product companies themselves is well taken, and that's my next step.....I kind of have to because many of them don't even publish fitment specs for the Pro. I thought this would be a walk in the park.....read/research, ask questions on forums, purchase parts, install, and boom, I'm done. I'm learning the hard way that I have to enjoy the process, knowing the end result will be great. Thanks for touching base on this.

·
Vendor
355 Posts
Your best option would be to forego the lift and stick with the forward A-arms and the new springs or shock work. The shock work/springs will give you a little more lift. Then....the forward A-arms will allow for bigger tires, giving you more ground clearance. The small lift by itself would help with ground clearance, but it will stiffen the ride. In combination with the new springs it would probably ride pretty rough and you could get into situations that would let the axle bind with that combo. A-arms, bigger tires, and shock work....and you'll love it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your best option would be to forego the lift and stick with the forward A-arms and the new springs or shock work. The shock work/springs will give you a little more lift. Then....the forward A-arms will allow for bigger tires, giving you more ground clearance. The small lift by itself would help with ground clearance, but it will stiffen the ride. In combination with the new springs it would probably ride pretty rough and you could get into situations that would let the axle bind with that combo. A-arms, bigger tires, and shock work....and you'll love it.
Thanks for that input! You guys were on my list to call about my machine, so good timing on your post/reply. My biggest confusion right now is the whole issue of wheel backspace/offset. My stock Pro is wider in the rear with 6+2 back space with 11x28 tires, and the front is 5+2 with 9x28 tires. All wheels are 14". Not sure what size wheel/tire combo to use if I want to A) have all four corners the same size, B) add stability and ground clearance, and C) not have problems with wheels/tires rubbing under any riding scenarios, or putting too much stress on suspension components with too much offset or weight. I've been liking the look of some rigs I've seen with 32" tires, but have read that jumping from 28 to 32 may require the addition of lift kit and axles??? Anyway, I'll be calling y'all pretty soon to ask all these questions.

·
Vendor
355 Posts
Thanks for that input! You guys were on my list to call about my machine, so good timing on your post/reply. My biggest confusion right now is the whole issue of wheel backspace/offset. My stock Pro is wider in the rear with 6+2 back space with 11x28 tires, and the front is 5+2 with 9x28 tires. All wheels are 14". Not sure what size wheel/tire combo to use if I want to A) have all four corners the same size, B) add stability and ground clearance, and C) not have problems with wheels/tires rubbing under any riding scenarios, or putting too much stress on suspension components with too much offset or weight. I've been liking the look of some rigs I've seen with 32" tires, but have read that jumping from 28 to 32 may require the addition of lift kit and axles??? Anyway, I'll be calling y'all pretty soon to ask all these questions.
Hell yeah buddy! Feel free to call us any time. We've got a big group of guys and gals on the phones that are always willing to help. 855-743-3427.

I'd highly recommend going with a square setup on your wheels. Having the same offset wheel all around is super convenient and you can bring along 1 spare that will work on all 4 corners.

For the tires...you can go straight to the 32"s with those 2" forward A-arms. No prob there.

You don't have to do any clutch work with the 32"s, but you will feel the weight a power difference.

Your stock axles will be fine, but at some point you'll probably want to upgrade to Rhino 2.0"s. Way stronger than stock...and great warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts