Can-Am ATV Forum banner

Should I buy it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mud in Engine Bent Connecting rod, Is it worth $3,500?

Hey guys, Im new to this forum so sorry if Ive made any mistakes. So im looking for a cheap 4 wheeler and I came across a 2008 renegade 500, its snorkelled with an HMF exhaust and a clutch kit. As for the bad news it went through a mud pit and took in some mud and there is a knock and possibly bent connecting rods... The guy wants $3,500 for it, So im just wondering if its worth it and how much Im going to spend on pistons and connecting rods... and where to buy them? Im 16 and I dont have alot of money but I have a decent amount of knowledge. I just dont want to buy it because its cheap and then end up putting another $3,000 into it...Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Well I know buddy rebuilt his
Motor and it cost him about 2500 for a 940 kit so you can Prolly get out much cheaper, especially if you do it yourself.

Reactions: CanadaAlex

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I know buddy rebuilt his
Motor and it cost him about 2500 for a 940 kit so you can Prolly get out much cheaper, especially if you do it yourself.
Im just looking to do a basic rebuild, as of right now im riding a honda 420 and a 400 kodiak so im not looking for a crazy machine, Im planning on doing it on my own with help from my dad(an auto mechanic). How much do you think it would cost to do a basic rebuild in parts? Thanks alot for the help!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
..... The guy wants $3,500 for it.....
Try negotiating a lower price and I think you could have a worthy project, cause I'm thinkin there is probably a few other "issues" with it.:smilietwocents:
8,657 posts? do you sleep? lol He says hes pretty firm on the price, I think I might be able to get it for $3,000. Im planning on turning it into a project that will take all winter... as I have done with 2 blasters and a kodiak, but ive only rebuilt a 4 stroke once and that was in shop class... Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
882 Posts
this motor is the easiest atv motor there is to repair
most likely the rods are not bent, just depends on how long he has run it knocking on whether the rods are good or not
if they arent they run around a hundred each
add in rod bearings and a good machine shop and that is most likely all that is wrong with it
you will need a top end gasket set, case gasket set and some rings (not necessary but I wouldnt split it without doing them)
the big deal is going to be finding a shop that will turn the crank and can get the rods, I have the numbers for a 800 crank which is turnable like a dozen times and the aftermarket crank bearings are cheap too
I would say if your going to rebuild it yourself its a deal
too bad its in canada or I would pick it up :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this motor is the easiest atv motor there is to repair
most likely the rods are not bent, just depends on how long he has run it knocking on whether the rods are good or not
if they arent they run around a hundred each
add in rod bearings and a good machine shop and that is most likely all that is wrong with it
you will need a top end gasket set, case gasket set and some rings (not necessary but I wouldnt split it without doing them)
the big deal is going to be finding a shop that will turn the crank and can get the rods, I have the numbers for a 800 crank which is turnable like a dozen times and the aftermarket crank bearings are cheap too
I would say if your going to rebuild it yourself its a deal
too bad its in canada or I would pick it up :)
Thanks for the post! my Dad is a mechanic so he has a good machine shop, Im guessing the cylinder is damaged so it will need to be bored over right? do you think the crank would have been bent? I think thats about $1100... and I would definantly replace the rings if not the pistons too. Thanks alot for the posts!

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help! All of the comments seem to be pretty positive as to buying it but the poll at the top is pretty negetive... Any reasoning to this? Thanks alot for all the help!

·
Registered
611 Posts
The negative feedback COULD be about machines history, if it's mud machine then there might be other issues just waiting the final knock.

If you know the guy and trust him then why not but if he is stranger with bright eyes saying it's as good as from shop floor then I would say hi & bye and save the money for other deal.

I didn't vote....

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
8,657 posts? do you sleep? lol He says hes pretty firm on the price, I think I might be able to get it for $3,000. Im planning on turning it into a project that will take all winter... as I have done with 2 blasters and a kodiak, but ive only rebuilt a 4 stroke once and that was in shop class... Thanks for the help!
I've been around for awhile and a bit of an insomniac.

I forgot to vote earlier, just voted to "buy it" IF, you can get it for a little cheaper.
With the tools available and a shop, I say go for it.:th_smiliethumbsup:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
if he gives it to you, then you have something to evaluate and maybe $2-3000 later you will be a proud papa.

word.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
U would think Quadaholic would have a new ride by now too eh? LOL J.K.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
QUADAHOLIC said:
I do, it's just not a quad, It's called a titanium fortified neck, quite expensive and takes about 2 years to complete. Going in for 1st major installment this Monday.
Welcome to internal implant world, you have it on your neck, I have it on my spine and right leg (fix from motorcycle accident).

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks for all the help! All of the comments seem to be pretty positive as to buying it but the poll at the top is pretty negetive... Any reasoning to this? Thanks alot for all the help!
Here's why. That quad is worth about $4500 US ($4600 Can) in excellent shape. You could get lucky and get it repaired for under a grand, that would be a wash.

However you may find after digging into the motor that it requires more than $1000 to repair. At that point you are losing money, pumping cash into something that isn't worth what you got in it.

If he were to come down $1000, I'd say grab it. The chances of that are slim it sounds like. Even $500 off would be more in the ball park. I wouldn't buy it for $3500 though.

p.s. like I said $4500-$4600 in EXCELLENT shape. The chances of it being in excellent shape are slim and none......they never are unless you don't ride it. This bike has been in mud and has the mods(and damage) to prove it. I say pass unless you get him down at least $500.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts