Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving from mostly trail to now mostly mud, might be a dumb question but what is the exact meaning of thumb control on the throttle? Obviously not wot all the time but what are some good mud riding techniques? im putting outlaws on gade and don't want to break stuff any opinions would be great!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With my 27 inch zillas it's was wheel spin that got me out of a lot of muddy situations but I'm guessing that's not going to be the case with theses outlaws

·
Registered
37 Posts
Keep them wheels spinning and they will dig out. Pin it til you see jesus

2006 Outlander 800
2007 Honda FourTrax 450 Trail Edition
2007 GMC Canyon 3.7 4 inch lift on 33s
2002 Yamaha TTR125

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahaha I know different holes will require different techniques I like that one though seems like the most fun!!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Watch some vids on youtube. Some of them have no clue how to go thru mud, others think they do and get stuck in a foot.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
lol wellll i run nothing but mud and speed is your friend ... hit it hard giver WOT ... hit the nos button and dont let go haha my best advice lol heres a good vid lol

i see in your next purchases you have a primary and secondary with a ? .... my advice is that defiantly be your next purchase both the primary and defantly the secondary will give you alot more backshift to get thru the bad mud

Reactions: Darkknight686

·
Registered
262 Posts
Its not something that you can read in a book, its like math, you have to do it to learn it, best advice, practice and pay attention to your machine, she will tell you if shes bogging down, if you smell burning belt, if shes spinnin wheels with no traction (being hung up), etc etc. And you'll know by how you hit it, ride in it, and how you get out if you were going to slow, not using enough gas, took it too easy, need to hit it harder, etc etc. Practice makes perfect!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10-4 great answers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Zillas are much more forgiving when wheels are spinning and just one wheel gets traction. Outlaws, Silverbacks not so forgiving once one of those spinning wheels gets traction or grabs onto a root or rock. All the weight of you and your machine goes to that one wheel and snap goes the axle.

Only word of advice I can give is "know your hole". lol..

If it's all loose skeg or snow, ya full throttle and hope you can see where your going with all the crap flying around. If a lot of rocks and roots, well you get the idea.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's going to be a learning experience, but don't get too crazy too early or someone could get hurt.
Someone mentioned "know your hole"........this is solid advice. Don't go into a rutted mess on two wheels because it could come down in a different set of ruts and toss you right off. I know this because of ummm.... youtube, yeah youtube! LOL

Also, get a pair of chest waders and walk off any deep water you're unsure of. I've seen two friends already swamp their machines this year, and it's only March.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The best advice I can give after seeing many new people try mud for the first time... Steady throttle and momentum. All to often I see people let off mid hole when they're still moving. Once you lose momentum, you're almost guaranteed to be done.

Keep on the throttle until you're not moving forward anymore, but don't sit and spin long after you've stopped progressing. Try putting it in reverse, holding the override, and give her hell again until you stop moving or feel you've given yourself enough space to get momentum again and try it again.

Stopping will be your worst enemy in the deep stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse my fat finger syndrome.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
mud holes

all good advise! normally I can avoid full throttle unless it is real thick nasty stuff. Rocking it when you get high centered works great

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes that's another thing I see people do all the time is just sit still. GET UP! MOVE AROUND! THROW YOUR WEIGHT AROUND! HOP FROM ONE SIDE TO THE OTHER! Hahaha... It frustrates me to see people just sit on the seat and think the machines gonna do all the physical work! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please excuse my fat finger syndrome.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Something I do and taught my g/f, go far as you can in 2wd, once stuck in 2wd then do 4wd. Sometimes that's half the fun seeing how far you can go in 2wd. PLus if you get stuck in 2wd, you have the option of 4wd. But get stuck in 4wd, then your stuck lol....

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
10-4 great posts thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would just switch into 4 before you try lol no screwing around. some bikes dont like to switch into 4x4 once there stuck..have fun!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Both of my machines go in and out of 4wd at the push of the button. The OP will learn on his own by doing it. We all learn our own way. I've been wheeling off and on for 25 years, but only with a 4wd ATV for the past 2 or so. Only time I go balls to the wall thru mud is in a 2wd only machine, where you need all the momentum you can get, don't have the magic button as a back up to get you thru...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts