Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heat shield on my exhaust pipe hasn’t been attached since I bought it. The shield has been sliding back and forth and rattling so I decided to pull the pipe/muffler and find out why. One of the bolts was missing and the other attachment point was broken. I also saw some rust holes in the muffler. Figured a little welding would fix’er up. As anyone who has dealt with rust, what you first see is only 20% of the problem. And it was. Ended up with larger patches then I initially thought. All fixed up now for hopefully good for a couple more years.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Nice work.

You probably have a favorite but, I tried some other stuff on my muffler and it only held up for a ride or two.

This stuff lasted all 3 weeks bow season and cleaned up as new.
A buddy recommended it. He uses it on wood stoves (y)(y)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
I wasn't going to worry about it as the patches will probably outlast the rest of the muffler. the muffler is all covered is small flaky rust and I'm concerned that if I start cleaning it up I'll find more area that will need patching. LOL

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I hear ya, I was almost afraid to start wire wheeling the surface rust.

I wrapped the heat shield on mine to stop it from rattling, so many springs.
Im sure I'll pay for that decision 10yrs from now but it works awesome.
Nice and quiet.
Cant stand rattles or exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is super easy to remove the muffler/pipe on these, 4 springs and they are easy to get at. I have a drum brake tool that has a hooked end that I use to unhook/hook the springs.
You talking about the heat shield that is under the seat area?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Its super easy to work on pretty much everything on these.
Sometimes "old" technology works for me!!!

Yes, not the muffler itself, but the heat shield and up the pipe a ways to help with leg/engine heat and I was doing a lot of tuning so was reaching in to adjust the idle a lot.
Too bad I didnt think to wrap that shifter rod -ouch- that burn took a while to heal lol
Its been over a year and holding up well.
Just couldnt stand all those springs rattling around every ride. We do a lot of rough terrain. Drove me nuts.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Awesome on cooler rides, especially with a manual on fan anytime option (y)
Nice to flip the switch after warming it up and leaving out of camp nice and toasty warm.

Yeah it cut down on the heat quite a bit but that never really bothered me. What it really did was quiet it down and smooth it out.

Love the heat when its cold, its like having a built in heater. Not so much in summer.
Gets dayum hot around here.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
3,017 Posts
Looking good! Nothing wrong with "free" repairs (y) 🍻

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
heres a good thread on a can am muffler rebuild.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts