Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Outlander XMR 1000r Max
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ongoing issue that has been present for the last eight months with my 2020 XMR 1000r MAX. When it runs it is a beast. I can go out riding and run it all I want for all day and all night with no issues. I can shut it off for a couple hours and will fire right up. When I park it and shut it down until the next day, it will not fire when I try to start it. Will just roll over and over with the starter. Then I leave it alone for a couple days then try it again, will fire right up and I can go riding. Lately it has been going up to 5 days sitting before it will start and run. Over the last 3 weeks I have been dropping it off at the dealer when it will not start. They have been testing it and cannot figure out what is causing the problem. They say it has spark and fuel but will not run. After screwing around with it for a couple days it will start and run. They have tried duplicating the issue by riding it around the dealership grounds and cannot get it to not fire. So I have been picking it up on Fridays and running it around in the mountains and dropping it off Saturday afternoons when it will not start. I picked it up three hours ago and went for a ride out back by the river and then came home. As I pulled into my driveway, I could smell gas. So I pulled it right up into the bed of my truck and shut it off. I could tell it was running crappy while the gas was running down the right side of my engine and plastics and soaking my pant leg. Lots of gas coming out. It stopped flowing after I shut down my machine and the fuel pump quit. I came inside to warm up and grab some coffee and let the machine cool down. This is when I am writing this post. Think I will pull the plastics on the RH side and see if I can find what is leaking. Or maybe I should just drop it off to the dealer and let them take care of it. The one year warranty has expired but I have the two year extended warranty on it. I am wondering if this is connected with the issue I have been experiencing for the last eight months. :unsure:

·
Registered
930 Posts
When it doesn't start spray a shot of starting fluid in it and see if it fires. Then you can mark of fuel or spark depending on what it does. Also did they test your battery?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kusa

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it doesn't start spray a shot of starting fluid in it and see if it fires. Then you can mark of fuel or spark depending on what it does. Also did they test your battery?

Done that. No fire on starting fluid. I have two batteries in the machine. The stock battery under the seat is good and the 4 month old series 27 marine battery mounted in the OEM radiator hole is 100%. I am a 30 year experienced heavy duty diesel master mechanic and have a thorough understanding of battery voltage and diagnosing problems with engines. The issue I am having is either electronic or a junk injector. I was leaning toward the ecu because sometimes no spark, then sometimes spark and fuel but no fire. Something just gave out washing the RH side of my machine and me with gas. We will see. I don't want to do much with it because of warranty.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
649 Posts
I subscribed to the thread just to see if they are going to figure it out on their own or whether you are going to interfere to get it fixed. In all cases, I hope you get it sorted quickly so you can enjoy some spring riding. Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't want to do much with it because of warranty.
Freewill, boy I feel for you. It is so sweet when a machine runs well all the time and so sour when it balks.
I think at this point that you are in a better position to find the problem than the dealer is. Finding and fixing the gas leak is a priority. If you find a defective part then bring the machine and show the dealer where the problem is.
I prefer to argue with a dealer about who pays for a machine that is fixed properly than to wait forever for the dealer to figure it out.
If the primary objective is to fix the machine and you have given the dealer a good chance to do it then maybe its time for you to step in and get her done.
Anyways my money is on you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
They have been testing it and cannot figure out what is causing the problem.
I had a similar mysterious issue as the one you described above and the dealer had to consult with BRP technical support for guidance in how to diagnose the problem. It took them 2 days but it was fixed for good.
Are you aware of whether your dealer has been in touch with BRP for help in fixing the XMR?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Could it be an intermittent crank position sensor issue?
This was what I was thinking also.

·
Registered
2015 Outlander XMR 650
4,287 Posts
Or some communications issue with the key/ignition switch?

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dealer in contact with BRP. What ever the issue is, when the machine starts, I can continuously run it all day and all night until I shut it down to get some sleep. When I start it after sleeping, the gremlins will not let it start for a few days. Now that I had the soaked leg from the fuel rupture, the culprit may have just shown itself. I didn't bother looking for the fuel rupture. Just rolled it out of the back of my truck to let service deal with it.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update, stopped into dealer and service told me they screwed up and did not have the fuel line all the way on and corrected it. Took it home with me and went for a good ride. Parked it in back of my truck and will see if it starts in the morning.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Update, stopped into dealer and service told me they screwed up and did not have the fuel line all the way on and corrected it. Took it home with me and went for a good ride. Parked it in back of my truck and will see if it starts in the morning.
Let's hope it starts and that your problem is solved. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Freewill

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Let's hope it starts and that your problem is solved. Keep us posted.
Ran it again last night. Parked it in back of my truck. Would not start this morning so I dropped it off at dealer. Told them to call me if it starts again and I will pick it up and run it again then drop it off after it will not start. Going to keep doing this until they find the cause and replace parts.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ran it again last night. Parked it in back of my truck. Would not start this morning so I dropped it off at dealer. Told them to call me if it starts again and I will pick it up and run it again then drop it off after it will not start. Going to keep doing this until they find the cause and replace parts.
What a bummer! For some reason, I kept saying in my head that the fuel line thing has nothing to do with why it sometimes starts and runs fine and sometimes not but I didn't want to share that out loud.
The head scratching continues....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts