Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to crappy tire looking for oil and a filter today and couldn't find any 10w40 full synthetic oil that was cheaper unless it was that "made from natural gas" oil which id rather run the normal synthetic oil that has been proven instead of some fancy "eco friendly" oil that hasn't been around for very long (not going to risk my motor over some pollution) maybe it's fine but never heard or know anyone that uses it. The crappy tire employees weren't very much help as they couldn't wrap their heads around that my bike has a CVT transmission but the motor and tranny share oil molol. So they didn't know if they should give me wet clutch synthetic oil or just normal oil. The one guy showed me this synthetic 10w-40 Mystik motor oil (good for wet clutches). I've never heard of it so I was skeptical but after some google searches I guess they sponsor teams and they specialize in small engine oils so maybe they're good? Anybody have any experience with Mystik?

Anyways I bought it as there were no good alternatives and I'm just waiting a little longer until I change my oil so I can return it if it's the wrong oil and has the possibility of damaging my motor (can't trust the crappy tire employees). I would have just thrown it in my motor but I can't find much on them and the packaging and company seems very sketchy lol, don't know what to expect.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If it meets BRP's specs it will be fine .
I have heard of it but have never read anything about it or used it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Never ran it in a 4 stroke, but they make really good 2 stroke oil, I've ran it in plenty of snowmobiles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Never used it in mine, but it's sold in a lot of farm stores around here, and it's supposed to be a pretty good oil. I had an uncle that swore by it for his stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve also used it in some sleds, no issues at all. My local farm store carries a ton of their products and seems to move quite a bit. I actually think the Mystik brand is owned by Citgo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It says it meets API SJ classification and the manual calls for API classification that meets or exceeds SG, SH or SJ. Meanwhile the synthetic oil I have is SL which is one step above SJ so I'm good to go!

I watched a video and I guess classification SG and SH are obsolete and aren't sold anymore and classification SL and SJ are the only oils sold anymore made for older engines and the newer oils have less zinc in them which can harm older engines and are only to be used in motors made before 2004. the low zinc is to to help protect catalytic converters. Don't know if this applies to quads.

Here's what it states in the manual:
20200325_084326.jpg

Screenshot_20200325-084213_Gallery.jpg

And here's all the oil ratings:

20200325_085948.jpg

The red 2004 mark is the line between the new oils (on the right) that can't be used in new cars (probably not ATVs).

20200325_085928.jpg

If you're interested have a watch:

·
Registered
275 Posts
iv ran it in my import machines when my local CT stopped selling it. They put it on for such a good price i bought a pile of it.. Have not had any issues with it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to crappy tire looking for oil and a filter today and couldn't find any 10w40 full synthetic oil that was cheaper unless it was that "made from natural gas" oil which id rather run the normal synthetic oil that has been proven instead of some fancy "eco friendly" oil that hasn't been around for very long (not going to risk my motor over some pollution) maybe it's fine but never heard or know anyone that uses it. The crappy tire employees weren't very much help as they couldn't wrap their heads around that my bike has a CVT transmission but the motor and tranny share oil molol. So they didn't know if they should give me wet clutch synthetic oil or just normal oil. The one guy showed me this synthetic 10w-40 Mystik motor oil (good for wet clutches). I've never heard of it so I was skeptical but after some google searches I guess they sponsor teams and they specialize in small engine oils so maybe they're good? Anybody have any experience with Mystik?

Anyways I bought it as there were no good alternatives and I'm just waiting a little longer until I change my oil so I can return it if it's the wrong oil and has the possibility of damaging my motor (can't trust the crappy tire employees). I would have just thrown it in my motor but I can't find much on them and the packaging and company seems very sketchy lol, don't know what to expect.
It's actauly a very good oil. I run it in my atvs but also tested it after hard use in street bike track use and it holds up very well. Oils are a touchy topic lol so JMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts