Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 Outlander Max XT 570 -- I need to be able to pull a trailer for hauling stuff around the yard. I haven't been able to get a straight answer from several sources. What do I need to buy to hook up to the standard rear receiver? Preferably, I'd like something that will allow me to connect a trailer with a ball hitch or a pin-based hitch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some I've been looking at:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Unfortunately, I think we're all trying to figure that out, too. There was a recent thread on here trying to resolve this same issue.

Those 1-1/4" ball mounts you're looking at are too small, typical 2" truck is too big.

The 1-1/4" would work, technically, but it'd rattle around in there. Not optimal...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, crap. Those are the answers I'm getting -- "Get a 1 1/4"' and "Get a 2"'. Can-Am hasn't even been any help. So frustrating! Thank you for your reply!!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'm second-guessing myself now, lol, I may be thinking of a Tiger Tail receiver being the offending mark.... I've got a receiver mount at my house, too, lol, haven't tried my truck's 3-way ball in it yet , d'oh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just emailed pics of the receiver to the sales guy. He said the receiver is set up for directly mounting a 2" ball in the hole closest to the rear of the ATV. Apparently, I just need a 2" ball and a trailer with a ball hitch and I'm golden.

·
Registered
68 Posts
1 1/8" ball for most smaller trailers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know, thanks! I got the 2" ball with 1" shaft and it wouldn't fit in the rearmost hole. I guess maybe 0.75" shaft? So frustrating that there's nothing on Can-am's site about it, and the sales guys have no idea either.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I forget, thank you all for your help! We recently moved to a 30-acre property from a traditional neighborhood, and this is my first ATV. I'm just trying to lighten the load a bit with the upkeep in the woods and such.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Is it possible to drop a pin through that hole rather than using a ball hitch? If you look at the example trailer I posted above, it just has a pin.
Sure yeah. Some of those lighter duty yard trailers just have that pin style hitch, doesn't have to be anything "serious", just secure it to the ATV, yknow?

·
Premium Member
2020 Can Am Outlander XMR 1000r Max
106 Posts
I just built my own with 2 inch tube stock, a 2 inch ball, and some 5/8 round stock. Fits perfectly and works well. I made it as short as possible so the ball is the closest to the differential as possible. I added the round stock for hooks or clevises.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Before I forget, thank you all for your help! We recently moved to a 30-acre property from a traditional neighborhood, and this is my first ATV. I'm just trying to lighten the load a bit with the upkeep in the woods and such.
Here is my solution to my drop pin trailer, 2 in. x 2-1/2 in. Ball Coupler and 5/8 in. Easy Grip Hitch Pin It's sloppy when you install it but straightens out as soon as you put a load on it. I have a 7'x3'x2' trailer that I haul dirt or firewood with. That's 1.5 cu yds.=3000 pounds. Pop it off and put it on my 1000# lawn roller.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is it possible to drop a pin through that hole rather than using a ball hitch? If you look at the example trailer I posted above, it just has a pin.
yep, typo sorry about that

·
Registered
852 Posts
I just built my own with 2 inch tube stock, a 2 inch ball, and some 5/8 round stock. Fits perfectly and works well. I made it as short as possible so the ball is the closest to the differential as possible. I added the round stock for hooks or clevises.
View attachment 98232 View attachment 98234
I did a similar type with a piece of 2 inch stock. But I welded a 1 7/8 on one side and a 2 inch on the other side. Drilled a hole through 2 inch bar so I can pull my Sleigh. It requires a bolt to hook up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 2" (inch) receiver (draw bar) is correct. The standard hole for the pin is 5/8". I used a 4"x5/8" Bolt with a lock nut. I actually took a standard receiver (draw bar) and cut it shorter so it's not hanging way out there. I haul a crap load of camping gear and moose meat (meat wagon). I didn't want the hitch or portion on the ATV flopping around beating the receiver (portion on ATV) out. We put on at least 200 miles on each year just for hunting season so I tack welded the sides of it to ATV. I can always just grind it off easily later but it has never hung me up. I did the same to my wife 1000 XMR and we just leave it on all year. I actually made my receiver from 2" square tubing (receiver tube) and 3/4"x2" bar stock, had the bar (straight not a drop) welded to top of tube and had them drill the 3/4" hole for the ball. I can take pictures if anyone wants them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2020 Outlander Max XT 570 -- I need to be able to pull a trailer for hauling stuff around the yard. I haven't been able to get a straight answer from several sources. What do I need to buy to hook up to the standard rear receiver? Preferably, I'd like something that will allow me to connect a trailer with a ball hitch or a pin-based hitch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some I've been looking at:

Not sure which receiver is on your bike, but my 650 has a standard 2” square receiver. However, because of the way the receiver sits behind the differential, the draw bar hole in a standard draw bar wouldn’t line up, though the bar does fit. So, I cut my draw bar shorter to make it fit and line up. I have a 2” ball on mine that I use to move the utility trailer around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts