Can-Am ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New 750 Power Steering King Quad!!!!

58K views 50 replies 12 participants last post by  cc1999 
#1 · (Edited)
Well now that all the 2010s have pretty well all been anounced, I still saw nothing that perked my intrest more then the 750 KQ EPS other then maybe a Polaris Sportsman Touring 850 EPS, I was wanting an 850 EPS X2, but I might end up settling for a Touring model later this year or early next year depending on when they come out.

The 750 EPS KQ's are finally trickeling into dealers showrooms around the country now. I had tryied to find one several months ago and had no luck finding anything but a couple EPS 500 KQs. Bottom line was after seeing all the 2010s, I went searching again for a 750 King Quad with Power Steering this morrning . I was in luck this time and found one, it was only about an hour and a half drive away. It was also a white one, like I was wanting. So after taking a short drive and a short test ride, I was able to get a decent deal struck on it and took it home for $7700.00 OTD.

I have not had a chance to really ride it much just around there dealership there, but I can say the EPS feels a lot like a buddy of mines Grizzly 700 with EPS. It does not really have the same level of assist that the Polaris EPS machines have, but its still a notable super nice feature and worth the extra $$$ for it, for sure IMO.

I already have the black T-7 rims for it that I like, I just need to get some Bighorn tires for them and look into a few other things like maybe a front bumper and maybe a winch and it will be ready to hit some trails.

I am planning to try and put a little time on it in 100% stock form this weekend, and write a short little stock ride review on it tomorrow night. Also want to try and get some pics of it posted on here in 100% stock form as well. Then later some modded pics.

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats on the new purchase CC.

I also liked the KQ700 that I rode awhile back. A friend of mine bought one. I felt the steering was super easy on it, but twitchy. The EPS probably helps alot with that. The other problem was the lack of power. It was good, but not up to par with the Brute 750 I had at the time. The ride of the KQ was also very nice. Put a 750 V-twin in a KQ and it would be one great machine, IMO.

Pics???? :D

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I will try and shoot some pics tomorrow when I take it for a spin around my buddy's land. Its rainy here this afternoon so I just left it in the back of the truck till tomorrow.

#5 ·
I bought the 700 kingquad a month ago, and I really like it. You're gonna love the 750. I bought the VDI to eliminate the low end lag and timing retard from factory, and it really woke her up. She went from slugging off the line to burning rubber. VDI was worth every penny and then some, adds alot of power. This has got to be the strongest single cyl out there, hands down. My 700 will run.

I also did the Coop45 mod to the clutch and lighter rollers which was really easy to do, and added a pipe. I know this thing will run with a stock brute easy, and the same mods done to the 750 will definitely put a whooping on stock brutes.

#7 ·
Thanks Kratos for the info, I wounder if the VDI is compatable with the 750s?

For this quad I have planned first off as always it will be getting Bighorns ASAP. Then a Bumper and 3000-4000# winch with a wireless remote. Mabe some upgraded lights for night rides. This quads main job is going to be going on rides that I am not real comforatable taking my 12k 850 on. If its going to be some rough trail bustin tight trail type ride, then I am taking this cheaper, smaller, lighter, weight machine.

More or less this my beater quad, and guest machine.
Its also going to be a backup unit incase there is a problem with the Outy or 850, I plan to take this thing along as backup. Thats another reason I wanted a smaller lighter machine. Takes up less room on the trailer too, where I was using my 800 X2 as a backup machine after I got my 850 XP. This KQ is probably 300 pounds lighter then the X2.

#8 ·
That's exactly what I use my 700 for. I also bought it for my dad to have a smooth (tamed) ride on the trails. The Super Bores are just too much for him I feel, so this is the perfect addition to the stable.

I've heard many reviews on how the VDI wakes the 750 up just as well as the 700. CC I know you don't care much about adding power to this quad, but the main thing about the VDI for your purposes is that it makes the quad run ALOT COOLER. The fan hardly ever comes on now, and I feel very comfortable going on long trail rides in the summer without worrying about overheating. That timing retard from the factory causes alot of heat build up.

#9 ·
Good to know info there Kratos. May I ask how much the VDI boxes are running these days. Also they use to have quite a few problems back in the day. Have they got all the bugs worked out of them now?

Since you are a Suki owner too, have you joined the sister Suki site to this one. I went ahead and joined tonight and the Polaris one this morrning. The Polairis site seems to be going a little stronger then the Suki site, but they both seem like they are layed out pretty well and are user friendly.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, they have had about 3 years to work out the bugs on the VDI. It's plug and play for 95% of everyone who buys one. Only very little people have to tweak it a little. I just plugged mine up and the quad runs and starts better than stock. Lyle is the guy everyone talks to at the VDI distributor in Canada. He knows that thing in and out and will send you a preloaded map for your setup that is just about dead on. He is very famous on the Nyroc forum. He's kind of like mrrpm (a beast who is online alot to answer questions for everyone's problems). The VDI thread is like 200 pages long over there about fixing bugs over the last 3 years. So yes, they have gotten the bugs worked out on that thing if you can see the picture I'm trying to paint!

The VDI has also dropped in price a little. I paid about 415 bucks I think. Many Nyroc gurus have dyno'd a good horsepower increase out of it. The lowest I've read is 4-5 horsepower, the highest 8. But for your purposes, the cooling aspect is worth the money alone.

What site are you talking about that is a sister suki site? I'm over at Nyroc alot cause the info over there from Lyle and the other gurus is insane. Those guys have figured out a combination of clutching, pipe, and VDI settings that will give a stock can am 800 a heck of a drag run. I got a friend here who has a 750 that has whooped a stock outty 800.

#16 ·
Thanks for the info buddy. I apreciate it.

Sounds like the VDI is turing into a pretty good deal now.

I need to drop in over on the Nyrocs place, its been a while. A long long while since I was in the Suki section over there.

Here is a link, its not really going all that strong yet, but if works out like the the Sister Polaris forum it will before to long. There are a couple others, but I have not been on to look at the others yet.
Suzuki ATV Forum

#12 ·
Here are some pic's from today. It is still 100% showroom stock.

#13 ·
That is very nice. I plan on my next quad to be white. Time to get those bighorns on there now. Are you putting aftermarket rims on?

#14 · (Edited)
Ya, I am going with black type 7 ITP's and 25" Bighorns.

Should sorta look similar to the White Rincon I had a year or so ago. Just this KQ is just a much nicer machine, I had the same rims for the Rincon but those are 26" horns on the rincon in the pic.
Stock pic

Pic with black T-7s and 26" Bighorns. I will be going with 25" BHs on the KQ.

Here is a little mini review from todays trial run with the KQ750

I got to put a few miles on it today, I was really impressed with the power that this 750 1 lunger puts out. It actually suprised me a little bit by how fast it can grab 50. This thing is not going to get beat by the Outlanders tcats and SP850s by a whole lot. Granted I did not have the other machines with me to compare them side by side in a drag race today, but I will as some point, just seat of the pants feel, its feels like a lot stronger than i thought it would and based off memory of speeds I hit with the other going through the traps we run I just have a feeling its not going to get too embaresed by the others.

It does still have that built in factory hesitation right off the line, but all in all this Suki can move out pretty darn well.

Engine braking test went well. It will hold to about 10 mph on our test slope in high range, and 1 mph in low range.

The EPS was also impressive, not really near as impressive as the SP 850s, but I like the feature on this machine really well. It is exspecially nice when cruising around in 4x4 mode, compared to the non EPS machines.

This machine is light weight, nimble, and has decent comfort factor on the trail, I did adjust all the shocks down to there softest setting, I think the comfort thing will also improve once I get some new rims and bighorn radials on it. Adding some weight to the forint end with a winch and brush guard should help as well, but all that will likely take away some of the power I was so impressed with today.

I am really liking this new KQ. It won't be de throning my Sportman 850, but for what I paid for this KQ and what I plan to use it for, I am very pleased with it.

#15 ·
Good review. It is definitely not a slug. Get a VDI and pipe and it'll run right beside the outty 800 from start to finish.

I rode the kingquad a few minutes ago. And let me tell ya, that is one kick butt machine. It's smooth, powerful, and most of all LIGHT. I absolutely love it. One guy told me tonight that he couldn't feel the difference between it and my TCat after he rode it. Shocked me a little when he said it, but I can understand how he felt that way. The sucker just flat out hauls butt.

#18 ·
I take it that VDI device gets rid of that build in factory hesitation when you punch it off the line. Its like it has a the timing backed off when you first stab it , and once it gets rolling it really takes off.

I also like the contols and how they are located.

Like I really preffer the shifter be on the left, and not the right like the throttle. Which the KQ has the shiffer on the left.

Also noticed the gas cap is on the left as well, making it easy whey you are gassing up the truck to also hit the KQs tank without having to move the truck.

Just little things like that seemed well thought out and handy.

#17 ·
Thanks for the link. Yeah, it's just a matter of time before that site is HUGE. I see the potential very well.

#19 ·
Yes, the VDI does help with the stall when you pin throttle for sure....

I timed Rachels in a 500 yard sprint before and after with and without the VDI....and the VDI was about 2 seconds faster...and most of that was the start and mid range..

#20 ·
The VDI not only eliminates the stall, but it also advances the timing across the entire power band, which makes the bike alot faster from bottom to top.

It is so easy to install too. It took me about 5 minutes to plug it in. Then I slapped on the pipe right afterwards, and WOW.

#21 ·
I got some 25" Bighorns mounted up on some black type 7 ITP rims today. Here are a few pics.

I also order an Quadrax Elite Bumper today from Matt @ ATV Outfiters.
Here is a pic of what the bumper looks like.

#22 ·
Looks a whole lot better now cc. I really like that bumper too.

#24 ·
Thanks.

Me too.

#26 · (Edited)
Since it is so dang hot out today, I am not going riding but I did take some time this morrning to gather some technical data on the new EPS KQ750.

With a full tank of fuel and in straight off the showroom floor configuration (100% stock form) It weighs in at 670 #'s
With a full tank of fuel and the new 25" Bighorns mounted on 12" ITP type 7 rims it tips the scales at 714 #'s

The new Bumper weighs 18#s counting mounting hardware.

The XT 30 Winch I have order should weigh about 30#s counting mounting hardware. I will update this with the exact weight of the winch and hardware once it arrives.

Here are some facts on tire and wheel weights
The Front OEM wheel and tire weighs 18.5 #s
The rear OEM wheel and tire weighs 24 #
Note: This machine came with the lightest weight OEM wheel and Tire combo I have ever scaled, by about 2 #'s per tire and wheel. The privios record was the Kawaski Prarrie OEM tires and wheels.

The 25" Bighorns on 12" Type 7 ITP Rims
Front tires and wheels weigh 29.5 #'s each Note: 11 #'s per tire and wheel more then the OEMS
Rear tires and wheels weigh 35 #'s each Note: exactly the same deal on the rear comparison 11#'s per tire and wheel more then the OEMs

Just incase anyone was thinking of going with a similar setup, but wants 26" Bighorns for a little extra ground clearance, I have the exact same combination in 26" BHs for my Outlander same wheels just 26" Bighorns instead of the 25" Bighorns.
Front Tires and wheels weigh 31.5 #'s each Note: 2 pounds per tire more than the 25" BHs
Rear Tires and wheels weigh 39 #s each Note: 4 pounds per tire more then the 25" BHs

Rotating mass is important when it comes to power or performance. I have been told and I believe this to be true based on some in the field testing that we have done in the past that 1 pound of rotating mass is equal to 4 pounds of sprung weight or cargo, rider, or riders ect. ect. This calculation i am told changes based on the terain, ie sand may increase the difference, where pavement might decrease the difference. They just told me that 4 pounds was a good ballpark figure.

So based on the tire and wheel setup I have now on the KQ vs the showroom stock setup the additional rotating mass would take about equivelent power as hauling a 176 pound passenger/cargo in terms of power, not in terms of how it handles I am not saying its going to ride like you have a passenger on board, just the power the motor can deliver is all I am reffering to, just to be clear on that. Think more in terms of straight line performance, 4 x 11#'s per tire and wheel is a lot of difference = 176 #s . I think this is probably why its power in my original showroom condition ride was so suprising. I didn't notice a huge performance differnce in my second ride with the new tire and wheel setup, probably because I was on pretty hard ground, but the differnce was noticeable, it was not near as impressive, but it is still plenty adiquate for what I bought this mahcine to do. I may eventually go ahead and up the tires to 26" BHs before its all said and done.

Here is another item am putting on the KQ trail rig.
This is a Moose brand hard sided cargo box, the center section is removeable and there a place to put 5 gallon round buckets or other more bulky items.
This box is stout, it weighs 41 #'s empty.

#27 ·
Good write up on the tire/wheel weight effects. I'm going to remember the ratio you gave well.

I've always been taught since I started this hobby that heavier rotating mass negative effects can be dampened a little by raising shift out rpm's. Doesn't get back all of the lost power, but it helps.

#28 ·
Nice job Shelby...Good work and nice looking ride...I love the white..

I have been running 25" Horns for the past two years and really like the lighter weight...Ground clearance is not an issue for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.