Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Gonna be switching and buying my first canam. Picking up a brand new 2014 outlander xtp 1000. Gonna be eventually doing every mod I can think of. So my questions are... Is there anything I need to do right off the bat? Are the diffs already snorkelled to the pod? And also what is the best programmer out there these days? Thx

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome to the dark side allpro666..... there's no turning back now. Lol

I am picking up a '15 Outlander 1000 xt Saturday. Can't really say what you should do first for mods, it's all personal preference and my 650 is all stock.

On the 1000 I'll be adding the brp snorkel and rad relocate and basically turning it into an xtp with elka stage 4s and the analog gauge pod, handlebars, etc. Should have it all installed this weekend except the elkas are 3-4 weeks out but on order. Next on the list is a pipe and tuner then I'll start looking at tires. I actually like the stock act tires, at least on the trails.

·
Registered
167 Posts
On the 1000 I'll be adding the brp snorkel and rad relocate and basically turning it into an xtp with elka stage 4s and the analog gauge pod, handlebars, etc.
DRAPER, did you consider just buying a XTP or did you buy a XT for a specific color or some other reason?

·
Registered
126 Posts
On the 1000 I'll be adding the brp snorkel and rad relocate and basically turning it into an xtp with elka stage 4s and the analog gauge pod, handlebars, etc.
DRAPER, did you consider just buying a XTP or did you buy a XT for a specific color or some other reason?
Yes I did. I've been drooling over the xtp for a couple months. I love the color scheme on it. I ended up going with the xt because I wanted to get the rad relocate and snorkel right away and was going to buy shocks later but Ifound that Elka was discontinuing the "legacy" series with the steel body and moving to an aluminum body that costs $3k for the whole set. I picked up the whole set of stage 4 legacy for $1200 so I jumped on it. Now I will essentially have the xtp with snorkel and rad kit for the same price I would have paid for the xtp. And I like the brushed aluminum a lot too so I think it will turn out great.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes I did. I've been drooling over the xtp for a couple months. I love the color scheme on it. I ended up going with the xt because I wanted to get the rad relocate and snorkel right away and was going to buy shocks later but I found that Elka was discontinuing the "legacy" series with the steel body and moving to an aluminum body that costs $3k for the whole set. I picked up the whole set of stage 4 legacy for $1200 so I jumped on it. Now I will essentially have the xtp with snorkel and rad kit for the same price I would have paid for the xtp. And I like the brushed aluminum a lot too so I think it will turn out great.
Yeah, I agree with ya, it's gonna look sweet with the black and red Elkas! Plus the Elka stage4s are probably way better then the Fox that come with the XTP package. Definitely post up some pics!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry for hijacking your thread allpro666. Make sure you keep us updated on what mods you decided to start with.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Welcome to the forum AllPro, looking forwards to your mods as well. :th_smiliethumbsup:

You'll be happy you made the switch to Can Am.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes I did. I've been drooling over the xtp for a couple months. I love the color scheme on it. I ended up going with the xt because I wanted to get the rad relocate and snorkel right away and was going to buy shocks later but I found that Elka was discontinuing the "legacy" series with the steel body and moving to an aluminum body that costs $3k for the whole set. I picked up the whole set of stage 4 legacy for $1200 so I jumped on it. Now I will essentially have the xtp with snorkel and rad kit for the same price I would have paid for the xtp. And I like the brushed aluminum a lot too so I think it will turn out great.
Yeah, I agree with ya, it's gonna look sweet with the black and red Elkas! Plus the Elka stage4s are probably way better then the Fox that come with the XTP package. Definitely post up some pics!
You must be new; you are going to get Deadman all fired up on the Fox vs Elka debate.
Both shocks are high end.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep I ll keep u guys posted. Just never ever figured I would ever pay that much for a quad but I think I ll be happy. I use to have a very heavily modded brute that even made a magazine. But it seemed like I spent more time fixing then riding. And when I was riding I was always worried about something happening. Lol. But I will still be the king of my crew. Lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used to think that Elkas were the greatest thing in the world too, back when I was in high school, just because I watched the ATV Nationals and the GNCC series and they pretty much all ran them. But nowadays if the shock has preload, hi/low speed compression and rebound adjustments then its going to be just as good as any of the others once you get it dialed in. The only thing you're paying for in the difference between all of them is what the shock body is made of and what the internals are made of, and then of course whatever mark up the manufacturer thinks is reasonable for people to still want them. Most people that get Elka always complain that they never come valved or sprung correctly for their weight or riding style so they have to send them off right after they buy them brand new, costing them more money. Nowadays all the top shock manufacturers are PEP, Custom Axis, Elka, and Fox. And a few companies, like Jet Suspension, will rebuild the factory shocks and make them just as competitive as a pair of stage 4 Elkas, no joke, that's what I have on my 400ex I run GNCC and harescramble races with and they are amazing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is buy whatever shocks that you think you will like the best, get them tuned and be happy. Spending 5k on a set of Stage 5 Elkas when you could have had the same results with a set of PEP PB1s or Custom Axis for 2k is just dumb in my opinion.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would suggest skid plates as a mod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts