Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning.
Back story:
I have a 2016 Outlander 1000 XMR. when i purchased the bike about a year ago the original owner informed me he was having braking issues.
he had replaced the front 2 calipers suspecting that was the problem. after replacing those he realized it was the back caliper that was "broke".

Current siutation:
Rear caliper is "broke". no problem. ordered a new one and installed it last night.
- opened the reservoir under the seat, empy
-opened the MC on the handle bars. Brake fluid sitting on top of the gasket....so, i'm guessing thats extremely low to, well below the minimum line.

first things first, i tried to bleed the brakes like normal.
-front right does nothing
-front left does nothing
-with depressing the foot pedal, the handle brake builds pressure with 3-4 pumps. the front right will bleed, front left still nothing.

second action. Air must be in the brake switch/valve by the foot brake.
-removed plastic (foot pedal builds no pressure what-so ever)
-bleeder on this switch will bleed if pumping the hand brake, but NOTHING with the foot pedal.

third action. bought a manual vacuum pump
-with bleeder valves closed, i can pull a vacuum, but doesn't hold
-only 1 caliper will hold vacuum with the bleeder closed (thats the front right. the only one that will bleed with the footpedal weighted down, and the hand brake pumped)

mind you alot of air was introduced to the system....i'm unsure why the previous owner drained all the fluid....

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Horror stories are written of bleeding can-am brakes, they are notorious for not "playing fair"

Sounds to me like your foot pedal master cylinder has some issues internally, bypassing fluid and/or vacuum, rather than contributing to the braking/bleeding process.

With what all the PO did to the brakes on that thing, I'm really perplexed as to how he encountered that much failure on a relatively new machine. Something tells me this repair may be quite maddening before you sort it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Horror stories are written of bleeding can-am brakes, they are notorious for not "playing fair"

Sounds to me like your foot pedal master cylinder has some issues internally, bypassing fluid and/or vacuum, rather than contributing to the braking/bleeding process.

With what all the PO did to the brakes on that thing, I'm really perplexed as to how he encountered that much failure on a relatively new machine. Something tells me this repair may be quite maddening before you sort it out.
i feel you are right. i would fancy myself as mechanically inclined, but this one has me stumped, i dread taking this into the shop......

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im suspecting that when he realized their was other issues with the system he left the system empty. this may have introduced moisture into the system creating other issues and failures. I have always had good luck with cracking all the bleeders open and just letting the system gravity bleed for a bit until im sure i have flushed new fluid through the whole system. Then i will bleed the system as normal.. Pretty sure with this type of system you have to get the rear system full and bled first and then move up to the front. Sometimes iv went as far as removing the brake line and letting the fluid flow and then crack the bleeder

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im suspecting that when he realized their was other issues with the system he left the system empty. this may have introduced moisture into the system creating other issues and failures. I have always had good luck with cracking all the bleeders open and just letting the system gravity bleed for a bit until im sure i have flushed new fluid through the whole system. Then i will bleed the system as normal.. Pretty sure with this type of system you have to get the rear system full and bled first and then move up to the front. Sometimes iv went as far as removing the brake line and letting the fluid flow and then crack the bleeder
i will try that when i get off work, and check on it every 30 mins to see if i'm getting any flow.

also, i might have should of included this with the original post. BUT, no matter any combinations of pumping/trying to bleed, i never saw the rear reservoir drop fluid level...UNLESS i completely remove the line from the proportioning valve(?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New update...hopefully somebody can offer me some insight
first and foremost, the braking system on this bike is preposterous!!

-what i've done after replacing the rear master cylinder with a new one.....

1) Bled all master cylinders, front proportion valve, and all three calipers
2) Bled each caliper independently and all together (simultaneously) with a pneumatic bleeder.

I still get no pressure to rear brake or front left caliper. i've ran a large bottle of DOT4 fluid through the system and still can't get pressure build up.

If i hold down the foot pedal, the hand brake will build pressure in a couple of pumps. What am i missing here?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I dont believe a pneumatic bleeder will bleed the M/C itself if it's the one I'm thinking of that attaches to the reservoir cap .
I may be wrong though.
I always do it the old fashioned way .
Fill reservoir , open the farthest bleeder , squeeze , close said bleeder repeat.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i've narrowed it down to part number 705600994
i'm thinking the front "splitter" maybe bad....its basically the only thing in the equation left. I can't find a break down on exactly how one works...but thats the last resort

anyone ever messed with the brake splitter part number 705600994?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts