Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2021 can am defender 2 weeks ago. Yesterday it wouldn’t start. I kept messing with it by pulling it down into gear and back to park and finally got it to start. So today it would start and the only way I got it to start was to drop it down in high gear and put it back into park and it fired right up. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Next time it does this, make sure its actually in Park with the P indicator showing in the dash. If it doesn’t show “P”, do a quick rock back and forth and you’ll hear it pop into Park. They can be a little quirky when you think it’s in Park. Pretty common to a lot of us to do the Can Am bump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2021 as well. I havent figured out why but sometimes it starts without putting your foot on the brake and other times you have to. It is always in park. seems strange but it one way or the other it always starts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yep neutral and park.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2021 as well. I havent figured out why but sometimes it starts without putting your foot on the brake and other times you have to. It is always in park. seems strange but it one way or the other it always starts
That is weird. So far mine has been starting these last few days with no problem but I do have an appointment on Tuesday to have it checked out.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
That is weird. So far mine has been starting these last few days with no problem but I do have an appointment on Tuesday to have it checked out.
Make sure you let us know what they find. However my bet would be that they will tell you that they couldn't duplicate the issue. I would ask them to make a record of this so if it happens again (when it's out of warranty) you may have grounds to stand on to get it fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you let us know what they find. However my bet would be that they will tell you that they couldn't duplicate the issue. I would ask them to make a record of this so if it happens again (when it's out of warranty) you may have grounds to stand on to get it fixed.
I will let you know what they say. I think you are probably going to be right about them not finding out what the problem is.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Was the engine turning over? If no, did the dash gear indicator show “P” or “- -” ?

With that said, I can almost bet the farm it wasn’t in Park even tho the shifter was in Park. With you dropping it into High and then back into Park, it manipulated it just enough for the trans to drop into Park, thus starting for you. It’s a common quirk...”P” must be indicated in the dash before it’ll start.

Or maybe I’m completely wrong! 🤓

Anyways, hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was the engine turning over? If no, did the dash gear indicator show “P” or “- -” ?

With that said, I can almost bet the farm it wasn’t in Park even tho the shifter was in Park. With you dropping it into High and then back into Park, it manipulated it just enough for the trans to drop into Park, thus starting for you. It’s a common quirk...”P” must be indicated in the dash before it’ll start.

Or maybe I’m completely wrong! 🤓

Anyways, hope it works out for you!
Yes it was in park. I can’t remember if there was a “P” showing or not. I’ll take notice of that the next time it won’t start. Hopefully that is all that’s wrong.

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
525 Posts
If this is the case, then a shift linkage adjustment is needed I believe. This way the display matches the actual gear that is physically engaged.

Reactions: Jo21

·
Registered
906 Posts
If this is the case, then a shift linkage adjustment is needed I believe. This way the display matches the actual gear that is physically engaged.
Not necessarily true on the defenders. How the park works on these, the pawl can get stuck even with the shifter in park and then when it moves a little it will mesh into park. My defenders do it all the time when you shift to park but it hasn't meshed until it moves a little. All the other gears are in adjustment. Its just how the park is designed unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Can-Am Outlander Max XT 650
525 Posts
Not necessarily true on the defenders. How the park works on these, the pawl can get stuck even with the shifter in park and then when it moves a little it will mesh into park. My defenders do it all the time when you shift to park but it hasn't meshed until it moves a little. All the other gears are in adjustment. Its just how the park is designed unfortunately.
Thank you for the information. Very helpful and educational as usual.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts