Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I just got a new Defender Pro Limited, and would love some advice regarding mods. I got it primarily for use as a dedicated hunting rig, but it will need some mods to get there. First and probably most important is suspension/tires/wheels, because the stance is a bit narrow and low for the really rough country I hunt in (North Central Wyoming).
There are a lot of options for lift, tire and wheel size, and spacers to widen the stance some, but I'm getting mixed signals from some folks I know regarding these mods.
1) Some say to not ever use spacers (for various reasons), others say it's fine and won't hurt a thing
2) Dealer told me that if I put larger tires (30") I will have to also install new, modified control arms (geometry issues). But I'm not sure he just doesn't want to sell me more stuff.
3) I see mostly 3" lift kits for this machine, with a couple 2" lifts, but nothing else. i don't want to raise the COG too awful much, and am wondering if 3" would be too much, and how much I'll actually need for larger, wider tires that won't rub through the whole range of motion.
Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, maybe I posted in the wrong place? Or maybe this forum is just not as active as I had hoped? I looked through a bunch of posts and can see that most posts only have a couple of responses to hundreds (sometimes thousands) of views. Not sure what this means, except that I should probably be looking for another forum.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,570 Posts
Lol

Settle down, some of us sleep around here ;) :p

@SuperATV has allllllllllll kindsa stuff for your new rig, he'll be along to chime in soon I'm sure.

I've got no issues at all with wheel spacers, fwiw. I think you need forward offset arms to clear those 30's in the front, but don't quote me on that. Rears are no problem.

The axles are primarily what limit the lift height on otherwise stock bikes, that's why you're seeing so many "mild" 2-3" lifts.

Welcome to the site! I've been around the web and on forums since before it knew what they were, and this one's one of the best I'm involved with (y)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would just get forward a arms and you'll be sure to clear 30's. They actually might clear stock I guess you'd have to try. As far as lift what I did is install S3 springs on my rig and that gave it some lift. I now have 17" of clearance on the back and 16.5 in the front, that's with 32" tires. Not sure if you plan on keeping stock rims, if yes you would need spacers to get more stance. I got aftermarket beadlocks with a 4+3offset and they stick out quite a bit. I have 1"spacer in the back to equilize with the front, I probably could have gotten 1.5" to be closer. If you keep stock tires the rear rim is wider than the front, so you'd have to get wider tires for the back otherwise the height of the tire might change if all for corners are the same size. I have a max lonestar but should give you an idea.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Cloud Sky

·
Registered
89 Posts
Before BRP announced the changes to the 2023 Defender Max Limited which will now come with 2" forward a-arms and 30 inch tires, I was planning on ordering the 2" forward a-arm kit from SuperATV.
I was then going to order the Tusk Terrabite 30 inch Tires and Tusk beadlock wheels with the 6:1 offset, or possibly 5:2 at most.
Luckily, I now won't have to do that.
In the OP's situation, this is what I would at least consider.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've got a 2018 HD8 DPS buggy, stock, stock, stock. It's my hunting rig, I like it low for going in the woods. I'm in PA so the terrain I'm sure is different. I wouldn't go wider either (narrow trails) / Deer Trails. Just my opinion (tight places w/ windows up). I have the means to drop loads into extras but don't feel the need. Now I do have most of the OEM accessories and a few Super ATV accessories. Just passed 3000 miles with no complaints.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for the feedback! The fact that the rears are wider than the fronts throws me a bit also....if I change tire size (say to 30's), and A-arms as some suggested, do I have to stay with that setup? Or can front and rear be the same width? Not sure if that F/R width difference is required for stability, safety, function, etc......this machine does have an awful light rear end, like a pickup, but I don't see any off road trucks with wider rears?? As for terrain, it's mostly open country (not so much timber/woods), but really broken, steep, rock/shale, and can get sticky with fall snow/rains, so wider stance and more ground clearance is really what I need here. I will have to read up more on wheel offset as well, cuz I don't understand it much, except that I've been told that too much offset will be hell on suspension parts and bearings?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would believe that the front is narrow to create a tighter turning radius. I do remember reading on hear from a gentleman from Canada or Alaska that runs the same width rears on the front. For the type of terrain he rides it makes perfect sense. Also good incase you get flats often you can carry the same wheel around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would just get forward a arms and you'll be sure to clear 30's. They actually might clear stock I guess you'd have to try. As far as lift what I did is install S3 springs on my rig and that gave it some lift. I now have 17" of clearance on the back and 16.5 in the front, that's with 32" tires. Not sure if you plan on keeping stock rims, if yes you would need spacers to get more stance. I got aftermarket beadlocks with a 4+3offset and they stick out quite a bit. I have 1"spacer in the back to equilize with the front, I probably could have gotten 1.5" to be closer. If you keep stock tires the rear rim is wider than the front, so you'd have to get wider tires for the back otherwise the height of the tire might change if all for corners are the same size. I have a max lonestar but should give you an idea.

View attachment 108450 View attachment 108451
Love the look of your rig....Mine is pretty much the same, except in place of rear seating, it's all bed. What you have going there looks just right, not wildly lifted and widened, but definitely added stance and ground clearance. RU running 30's or 32's? Also, I'm confused on the need for spacers in the rear, if you have same tire/wheel setup on both ends....or maybe you don't and I just misread it.
Anyway, nice setup....I may use as a blueprint for mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before BRP announced the changes to the 2023 Defender Max Limited which will now come with 2" forward a-arms and 30 inch tires, I was planning on ordering the 2" forward a-arm kit from SuperATV.
I was then going to order the Tusk Terrabite 30 inch Tires and Tusk beadlock wheels with the 6:1 offset, or possibly 5:2 at most.
Luckily, I now won't have to do that.
In the OP's situation, this is what I would at least consider.

Like I said in a previous post....I'm not real clear on offset. I don't know what the factory offset is on it with stock wheels/tires. Is it more common to change wheels to gain width, or add spacers?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I believe factory offset is 6:1.
What I would recommend is give rocky zmtn ATV and MC a call and talk with one of their guys about it. They know their stuff on tires and wheels and that was my plan until I found out about the 2023 changes to the Defender Max Limited.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Like I said in a previous post....I'm not real clear on offset. I don't know what the factory offset is on it with stock wheels/tires. Is it more common to change wheels to gain width, or add spacers?
I think most people go with new beadlock wheels and tires when making this kind of change but that perception is just based on what I have read and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The reason for spacers on the rear is because stock the front are a 9” and back are an 11” but when on the buggy they line up the same meaning that the rear axles are narrower then the front. So if you buy new wheels and tires that are the same size on all 4 corners the back will now track narrower that the front so buying the spacers corrects that issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason for spacers on the rear is because stock the front are a 9” and back are an 11” but when on the buggy they line up the same meaning that the rear axles are narrower then the front. So if you buy new wheels and tires that are the same size on all 4 corners the back will now track narrower that the front so buying the spacers corrects that issue.
Gotcha, makes sense. I didn't know the axles were narrower in the rear, but I see why. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe factory offset is 6:1.
What I would recommend is give rocky zmtn ATV and MC a call and talk with one of their guys about it. They know their stuff on tires and wheels and that was my plan until I found out about the 2023 changes to the Defender Max Limited.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will talk to them. Interesting that the '23 defender max limited has those changes, but the pro version of the same machine doesn't....I guess the assumption was that most pro owners really only use theirs for work, and bigger/higher/wider is not as important??

·
Registered
101 Posts
MSA Wheel Offsets Explained
Love the look of your rig....Mine is pretty much the same, except in place of rear seating, it's all bed. What you have going there looks just right, not wildly lifted and widened, but definitely added stance and ground clearance. RU running 30's or 32's? Also, I'm confused on the need for spacers in the rear, if you have same tire/wheel setup on both ends....or maybe you don't and I just misread it.
Anyway, nice setup....I may use as a blueprint for mine.
My tires are SUPERATV Intimidators 32x10x14 all around. The wheels are MSA M31 with a 4x3 offset. The need for spacers in the back was explained further up by another member. As far as the wheels sticking out and being hard on bearings, I'm sure they will wear quicker but that's not something I'm too worried about, I do all my own maintenance and to change the bearings it would be fairly easy and cheap. The only downfall is the mud flying around, but I'm waiting on some fender flares to help with that problem. Here's a link with some explaination of the wheel offsets.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, I will talk to them. Interesting that the '23 defender max limited has those changes, but the pro version of the same machine doesn't....I guess the assumption was that most pro owners really only use theirs for work, and bigger/higher/wider is not as important??
Looking on Can-am's website it looks like the pro cab limited has 30" tires also therefore would have the same mods as the max.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, you are correct....mine is a '22, so it has 28" tires. Sorry if I gave the impression it was a '23, I guess I thought is was at first. I'm thinking that if I want the same tire width on all four corners (where currently it has 9's front and 11's rear), I should split the difference and go with 10's all the way around?? I do see that all the tires I am interested in are available in 30/10/15. Kind of makes sense to me, but if I'm way out in left field on that idea, please let me know.

·
Vendor
355 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All.
I just got a new Defender Pro Limited, and would love some advice regarding mods. I got it primarily for use as a dedicated hunting rig, but it will need some mods to get there. First and probably most important is suspension/tires/wheels, because the stance is a bit narrow and low for the really rough country I hunt in (North Central Wyoming).
There are a lot of options for lift, tire and wheel size, and spacers to widen the stance some, but I'm getting mixed signals from some folks I know regarding these mods.
1) Some say to not ever use spacers (for various reasons), others say it's fine and won't hurt a thing
2) Dealer told me that if I put larger tires (30") I will have to also install new, modified control arms (geometry issues). But I'm not sure he just doesn't want to sell me more stuff.
3) I see mostly 3" lift kits for this machine, with a couple 2" lifts, but nothing else. i don't want to raise the COG too awful much, and am wondering if 3" would be too much, and how much I'll actually need for larger, wider tires that won't rub through the whole range of motion.
Thanks in advance for any input!
I have a stock 2019 Defender XT MAX CAB and the stock front arms are the arched arms.

I put 15" X 10" X 30" tires and 15" X 7" wheels all the way around so i can rotate them for maximum wear and put 1" spacers on the rear to makeup for the 2" narrower rearend.

The wheels have a 4-3 offset, I have no rubbing or clearance issues and have the wide Can Am fender flares.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Motor vehicle Tread
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 27 Posts