Can-Am ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the new UTV home. It’s the first one I’ve ever owned. Did a lap in the neighborhood. In low for about a 1/8 mile at 25 mph. Another 1/2 mile in high at 25mph. Parked it in the garage and it smells like a tire fire.

Is it normal to get a burning smell after riding? Like I don’t know how to detail the severity to know if it’s normal or if o have an issue out of the box. Any help is appreciated.

·
Regular Joe
2014 Maverick 1000r
7,278 Posts
Welcome to the site

I've read of a lot of new machine owners reporting that smell, consensus seems to be it's just new machine burning off assembly coatings and such, exhaust heat being the main culprit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the site

I've read of a lot of new machine owners reporting that smell, consensus seems to be it's just new machine burning off assembly coatings and such, exhaust heat being the main culprit
that’s what the dealership just said when I got off the phone with them too. Thanks a lot man!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My manual says max of 15 MPH in low. What kind of rpm were you doing at 25 mph. You are supposed to break it in easy! You probably were burning the belt which also requiring easy break in and heat cycles before really loading it. You should read the manual and surprized that the dealer didn't go over this with you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My manual says max of 15 MPH in low. What kind of rpm were you doing at 25 mph. You are supposed to break it in easy! You probably were burning the belt which also requiring easy break in and heat cycles before really loading it. You should read the manual and surprized that the dealer didn't go over this with you.
most everything I’ve read said it was ok up to 25mph in low. RPM’s were around 5000-5200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts