Can-Am ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this forum looking for info on my 2014 Outlander Max 800 and its "twitchiness" running with the Apache tracks. Looks like I may have an alignment issue - too much toe out. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Welcome to the forum, not sure about the tracks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, I had the same issue with my Tatou tracks when I first installed them on my '07 Rincon. There should be about 1/2" of toe in on the front of your tracks. They will have a tendency to pull themselves off to one side or the other feeling "twitchy" if you have any toe out at all on the front of your tracks. It's easy to remedy. Just adjust your tie rods a few turns to get the tips 1/2" closer together than the tails of your front tracks.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, and I will be adjusting the toe-in this weekend as stubbyone50 suggested, though will probably try 1/4" (it's out about 1/4" now). I think for wheels it is supposed to be 0-3 mm toe-in (dealer said that no alignment check was needed when I had them put the tracks on the first time).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks all, and I will be adjusting the toe-in this weekend as stubbyone50 suggested, though will probably try 1/4" (it's out about 1/4" now). I think for wheels it is supposed to be 0-3 mm toe-in (dealer said that no alignment check was needed when I had them put the tracks on the first time).
That's a good plan. If it's still too twitchy, go another 1/4" or so till you like how it feels. It will also STEER a lot easier with some toe in. I could notice a huge difference when I had these tracks on my non-power steering equipped Rincon with the toe in adjusted properly. Steering effort will be harder to notice since you have power steering, but your machine will free wheel easier on a hard surface with a little toe-in compared to having toe-out. It will also be easier on your power steering system, since you won't be tugging on the bars all the time to correct for the twitchiness.

I don't know why your dealer would tell you the alignment didn't need to be checked. In the User's Manual for my Tatou tracks it specifically says to adjust your alignment to 1/2" of toe-in. The new Apache tracks are almost a dead ringer for the Tatou tracks design wise, so I'll bet adjusting your toe-in will solve your problem.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made adjustments on the weekend and had a chance to try it out. That seemed to do the trick.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts